This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexiegrey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am going to be studying for the MCAT to take it in 2015, or 2016 (I am currently a sophomore at NYU undergrad). I've been debating on either getting the Examkrackers or the Kaplan study materials. I do have a long time to study, so time isn't the issue. I haven't yet finished all my pre reqs: ex. Biochem, Physics 2, Orgo 2 etc. since I am only a sophomore. The only science I have taken so far is Gen Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1, and Physics 1.

Would you suggest getting the Examkrackers or the Kaplan?

Members don't see this ad.

Get them both. Examkrackers is great, but it's way too concise. Maybe its good enough for what you need for the MCAT, but I just don't feel safe reading it alone because it just feels too concise, and at least in my opinion, totally undermines the seriousness and difficulty of the test with all of the colorful illustrations that take up most the page.

But, what I do is I study from my main set (TBR, sometimes kaplan) and then after I finish all my passages, I skim through the Examcrackers section that covers the same topic. I like to reread the topic from another perspective, and see how Examcrackers "dumbs it down" for people, for a nice quick and digestible summary.

Get them both. Examkrackers is great, but it's way too concise. Maybe its good enough for what you need for the MCAT, but I just don't feel safe reading it alone because it just feels too concise, and at least in my opinion, totally undermines the seriousness and difficulty of the test with all of the colorful illustrations that take up most the page.

But, what I do is I study from my main set (TBR, sometimes kaplan) and then after I finish all my passages, I skim through the Examcrackers section that covers the same topic. I like to reread the topic from another perspective, and see how Examcrackers "dumbs it down" for people, for a nice quick and digestible summary.

Are you using TBR for Physiology as well? Its sort of dense and chapter are extremely long. How do you think it compares to EK Bio? I

I haven't started my physiology prep but will be soon. However, TBR is wayy to much info for Bio (Bio book 2). The first few chapters are nice because it goes into some good detail on the biochem of proteins. But it tends to just get way to overloaded later on. However, its perfect for just about anything else.

So far using Exam crackers bio and kaplan biochem (great book) for content+ TBR for passages is great. I like to skim over some kaplan bio whenever I have down time and its late at night and i'm too drained to learn anything, but just need to drill the content into my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally used Examkrackers only (with the AAMC resources of course) and felt more than ready for the exam. (Scored 518) But this was also what drew me to them in the first place. I did not have time to spend reviewing information that I was not going to see on the actual MCAT. Way too busy and had to make sure my time studying was used to its best ability.

Used:
Examkrackers 9th Edition MCAT Study Pack
Examkrackers Forum (free with book purchase or course - on their website)
Examkrackers FL Tests #1-4 (free with course or $50 each on their website)
AAMC Full Length (non scored)
AAMC study Pack of Questions

Reactions: 3 users
I personally used Examkrackers only (with the AAMC resources of course) and felt more than ready for the exam. (Scored 518)
Congrats on your score! May I what your study schedule was like and how much time you had to review and study? :)

Congrats on your score! May I what your study schedule was like and how much time you had to review and study? :)
Thank you kitkat13 -

As far as my schedule, I started with the course and it lasted 9 weeks. I had class 4 nights a week in the evening (2 hours M-Th) and then I would usually spend at least another 1-2 hours a day preparing for the class that evening or following up on the class from the night before. I swear I read through each chapter in the EK books 4-5 times! During this 9 weeks I was also attending review sessions some weekends and on the opposite weekends I was taking practice exams. (both provided with my course)

Once the class wrapped I had about a month and a 1/2 before my Exam. So I put together a review schedule (most of the time 4-5 days a week) mirroring my class to go back and review some of the material that I KNEW I was still weak on. Still about 2-3 hours a day. What I found most helpful here was to PLAN these out - don't try to do it on the fly. I knew that if I did not schedule it and set it up I would never stick to it. A few of the weeks I also used to go back and review the practice exams again as well.

So overall I studying for about 3.5 months - but 9 weeks of that was the Examkrackers Online class.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got done using Kaplan for 2015 content review, and am about to crack open EK for my April 1st exam. I also used EK alone for the 2013 exam and scored 88th percentile. From my experience with both books, EK is a focused exam prep. You will accomplish content review, through the perspective of the MCAT exam. Kaplan goes more in depth, and loses some of its focus on the MCAT itself. Therefore, Kaplan becomes a more complete review, but if used improperly, it may not help you accomplish the higher exam score.

Personally, I bought both. I'll be selling the Kaplan books pretty soon here (while holding onto the online content) and re-purposing the cash to buy more MCAT exams. In retrospect, I may not have needed the Kaplan material; I might have just bought the Kaplan psych book alone, as that's the only content in there that I didn't already know.

I need your advice guys!!!!

I will take an MCAT on August 25th. I start to do review with Kaplan Books. What will be the best practice to do while doing active content review??? I want to buy Examkrackers EK-Tests® for the MCAT for $50. However, I do not know what kind of questions are there and how to combine content review with Kaplan and practice tests with EK???? Or could you give some other advice???

I think doing AAMC package when 2 month will be left for the real exam. Is it ok???

While you're doing content review, the questions at the end of the chapter should be enough. Read the chapter, wait one week, review your notes, and then take the questions. The knowledge will stick that way.

The AAMC Question packs are nice, but the questions may be out of order with respect to your content review progress.

Having read both EK and Kaplan, I feel that EK does a better job preparing you for the exam. The chapter questions are also better. If you need more in depth review, purchase Kaplan or TPR books separately as needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile
Thank you so much for your reply! Our university provide free online course with Kaplan and also free Kaplan books. I think that I will use Kaplan. Right now I do not know what to do with EK. Thank you very much!!! And good luck with your upcoming MCAT exam!

Hi everyone, I am going to be studying for the MCAT to take it in 2015, or 2016 (I am currently a sophomore at NYU undergrad). I've been debating on either getting the Examkrackers or the Kaplan study materials. I do have a long time to study, so time isn't the issue. I haven't yet finished all my pre reqs: ex. Biochem, Physics 2, Orgo 2 etc. since I am only a sophomore. The only science I have taken so far is Gen Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1, and Physics 1.

Would you suggest getting the Examkrackers or the Kaplan?

Ek all the way. the new kaplan stuff was just not good. buy some used Ek books for now to get an idea of what from your college courses you will need to know. you have plenty of time and the books will be changed much by the time you actually need them

I personally used Examkrackers only (with the AAMC resources of course) and felt more than ready for the exam. (Scored 518) But this was also what drew me to them in the first place. I did not have time to spend reviewing information that I was not going to see on the actual MCAT. Way too busy and had to make sure my time studying was used to its best ability.

Used:
Examkrackers 9th Edition MCAT Study Pack
Examkrackers Forum (free with book purchase or course - on their website)
Examkrackers FL Tests #1-4 (free with course or $50 each on their website)
AAMC Full Length (non scored)
AAMC study Pack of Questions
Hi! When you say study pack of questions, do you mean the question packs or section bank, or both? Also, your message makes me feel a lot better considering I'm also using just examkrackers but wasn't sure if it was detailed enough! Good to know it helped you get a great score, congrats!