Excel Formula for Raw Score Estimation on MCAT Practice Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GolfUSA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I'd share this excel formula that I made to convert my percent scores on practice problems from TBR and EK1001 into the MCAT scale. I know the scale is completely up in the air, but I just like to keep a spreadsheet with overall estimates and percentages. Use this formula and replace the X with a cell that has the percent correct (I have a column for #correct, then total #, then total percent calculated from it [rounded to 1 decimal], and finally raw score estimation with the following formula):

=IF(X>98,15,IF(X>92,14,IF(X>84,13,IF(X>80,12,IF(X>74,11,IF(X>65,10,IF(X>60,9,IF(X>55,8,IF(X>46,7,IF(X<46,0,0))))))))))

*Note: I did not got below 7, but you can extend the formula in the same way if you'd like.

I would definitely appreciate peoples input on how the cutoff percentages should be set. I just used the grading scale from TBR (46-65%=7-9, 65-84%=10-12, 84-100%=13-15), but I had to split up the sub ranges myself, and I am not sure how accurate it is. It seems like if they use a relatively normal distribution, then someone who is better at statistics than myself could figure this out.

Any additions and or input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.