Excellent video talking about some of the issues Optometry faces currently

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_xdarq35z4[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

Couldn't open the link to your posting the video. Biggest issue in Optometry right now is the AOA versus the AOS in court- legal action over board certification. This has divided our wonderful profession among the stellar academic and clinical colleagues of ours. Shame.

Summary of the video. We need your money. Ophthalmology, organized medicine, and everyone else is out to get us. We need your money now friends. It always comes across as a televangelist saying if you don't send your money now, the devil is going to come down and take us away.

This is what I've been talking about. We are a bought and sold profession. They constantly hit us up for money so they (the AOA) can bribe politicians to let us do procedures we are trained for and bill on equal par to other doctors. THIS IS THEIR ONLY REAL JOB. They are like the mobsters protecting our right to use Tobradex and as long as we continue to pay them off, we are okay.

Donate to your AOA. Donate to the PAC. Donate to your state association because if you don't, you won't be able to pluck out an eyelash. I've been hearing this crap for 15 years. It gets old and I got tired of sending in thousands of dollars per year that could be going to my family instead of Senator or Congrassman XYZ.

If the profession can't stand on it's own without constant payoffs, just let it die a quick death. Of course if organized ophthalmology would mind their own business (and let the trial lawyers sort if out if an OD blinds/kills someone), all this politician greasing wouldn't be needed. But it hasn't happened in 100 years. Probably ain't gonna start now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summary of the video. We need your money. Ophthalmology, organized medicine, and everyone else is out to get us. We need your money now friends. It always comes across as a televangelist saying if you don't send your money now, the devil is going to come down and take us away.

This is what I've been talking about. We are a bought and sold profession. They constantly hit us up for money so they (the AOA) can bribe politicians to let us do procedures we are trained for and bill on equal par to other doctors. THIS IS THEIR ONLY REAL JOB. They are like the mob

If the profession can't stand on it's own without constant payoffs, just let it die a quick death. .

jeez, what is wrong with you?? you seriously need some help, see a psychiatrist or something. Are you always like this? Nobody is trying to hurt you and the world is not coming to and end. Deep breaths and relax. Everything you write depicts that the sky is falling, just tone down on all the drama.

In regards to the video you didn't even mention the world VSP or stand alone vision plans, which the entire video was about. You just go crazy on AOA, how they will take your money and kids from you. You do realize that this profession doesn't exist in many countries, Optometrists in US have the most privileges compared to any other country. These rights weren't just handed, bills were passed which requires money. Yes money. Just look at BC, Canada where health minister was paid off to allow opticians to do eye exams. Do you want to practice where opticians can do the same things you do. This profession needs representation in the white house whether you like it or not, that could be AOA or AOS or whoever.

jeez, what is wrong with you?? you seriously need some help, see a psychiatrist or something. Are you always like this? Nobody is trying to hurt you and the world is not coming to and end. Deep breaths and relax. Everything you write depicts that the sky is falling, just tone down on all the drama.

In regards to the video you didn't even mention the world VSP or stand alone vision plans, which the entire video was about. You just go crazy on AOA, how they will take your money and kids from you. You do realize that this profession doesn't exist in many countries, Optometrists in US have the most privileges compared to any other country. These rights weren't just handed, bills were passed which requires money. Yes money. Just look at BC, Canada where health minister was paid off to allow opticians to do eye exams. Do you want to practice where opticians can do the same things you do. This profession needs representation in the white house whether you like it or not, that could be AOA or AOS or whoever.

Dude, you've had way too much of the Kool-aide. Step away from the punch bowl.

There's a reason that ODs have been flocking away from the AOA in droves. No one says the AOA has always been useless. They've done their share of good for the profession. Right now, they're causing waaaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than they're helping. Don't be naive.

Dude, you've had way too much of the Kool-aide. Step away from the punch bowl.

There's a reason that ODs have been flocking away from the AOA in droves. No one says the AOA has always been useless. They've done their share of good for the profession. Right now, they're causing waaaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than they're helping. Don't be naive.

At least they are taking a stand against VSP now, better late than never. There is no other option beside AOA right now.

Americans like to argue, insult and arrogantly state that their claim and only theirs is the correct one. Instead the AOA and AOS should just compromise and work things out.

At least they are taking a stand against VSP now, better late than never. There is no other option beside AOA right now.

Silly, silly student. The AOA are VSP are essentially one and the same. One can't exist without the other. What you call "money" is what most people call bribes. Certainly not isolated to optometry by any means. But bribes either way.

As far as the sky falling for me. I'm kicking it here in the Keys on vacation. I made the money when the money was to be made. Someone like me may hire you one day to refract a few of their patients and empty the trash. And you will be happy to do it. There will be nothing better. This is what you have to look forward to. Don't believe me. Don't believe Jason. Don't believe the other ODs on here. Do your own research. Unfortunately for you, that research is going to cost you a few hundred thousand dollars and 4+ years. And a few hundred thousand more if you plan to start to buy a practice.

Funny (yet sad) story. My wife needed a medication today so Igo into a Walgrens pharmacy at 9:00 am on a Sunday morning. And there is one loney pharmacist leaning on the counter flipping through a magazine on his 14 hour shift looking bored out of his mind (I was the only one there). I told him it was freezing in the store and he saai, "I know but I'm not allowed to control the temperature in the store" (ie, no more power or authority than the stock boy). I'd be willing to be he didn't picture doing this when he when for his PharmD and told everyone he is going to be a doctor in 4 years!!.

This is optometry is 10 years........except the need for eye exams is not keeping pace with the crazy amount of drugs Americans are taking.....especially seniors (that's where the babyboom is helping). So for now pharmacist may still have a decent paying job (albeit a crappy one). There is just not that many eyes to go around and people don't need to see their eye doc every month for a refill of their beloved Percocet.

But tell yourself whatever you want. Makes me no nevermind. I have no worries. My atttempt is to be a pleasant cannary in the mine and at this time, I am off to a wonderful dinner with the wife. Study hard boys and girls. Just remember, believe in yourself. You can do better than optometry. Really, you can. :D

Americans like to argue, insult and arrogantly state that their claim and only theirs is the correct one. Instead the AOA and AOS should just compromise and work things out.

'This is the dawning of the age of aquarius..... age of aquarius.........................................................................Aquarius. '

Peace. Love. And down with THE MAN!

Shnruek you gotta real flowers in that VW bug or are they fake. I find the real ones die much too quickly.

Sorry Shnurek, Rodney King beat you to it. You tweeners and gen-Xs gonna have to google that one.:p

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG. ANSWER: NO. Not for the last few million years or so. But your plea may just change the world. You never know.

Last edited:
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickles.

Last edited:
I heard that there are going to be eye practices set up in select CVSes within the next 5 years. Not sure how that will pan out. Not happy about it