Exemptions from Tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnniesK9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might be totally wrong but are there certain tests HPSP candidates are exempt from in Dental School. I thought I read somewhere that since we are getting experience in the Army, this can replace some of the test requirements such as WREB or some other type of examination. Is this true??

Members don't see this ad.

No. While states may accept several years of Army experience for licensure by credentials, I'm fairly certain that like the other services the Army requires you to have a state dental license by a certain time after graduation.

No. While states may accept several years of Army experience for licensure by credentials, I'm fairly certain that like the other services the Army requires you to have a state dental license by a certain time after graduation.

Obtaining a valid state license is a requirement for HPSP contract. If you could get one without having to take the exam, you could do so. But there are only 4 states that give licenses without one of those regional boards, and they have their own exams.

The NERB cost me $2100. I wish I did not have to pay for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obtaining a valid state license is a requirement for HPSP contract. If you could get one without having to take the exam, you could do so. But there are only 4 states that give licenses without one of those regional boards, and they have their own exams.

The NERB cost me $2100. I wish I did not have to pay for it!

Thanks for confirming that - in Navy contracts you're required to have the license within 12 or 18 months of graduation depending on whether you did a PGY-1 program or not.

Thanks for confirming that - in Navy contracts you're required to have the license within 12 or 18 months of graduation depending on whether you did a PGY-1 program or not.

I am an HPSP candidate and just registered for the WREB. We are absolutely are not exempt from any licensing test.