exhausted most of the VR resources... now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getsome111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im going to be taking the april 5th MCAT, which is in about 10 days and feel that verbal is pretty much my only substantial weakness . I averaged 12 in PS/BS on gold standard CBTs(straight 12s), and 13.5 PS/BS on the aamc tests(consistent 13s and 14s). However my Verbal has been all over the place, so much so that any "average" of the scores is essentially meaningless.

I have completed TPRH with a steady uptrend in my scores; they started at about 7 and finished around 10, but my AAMC tests were done too early and without sufficient time between them(I burned through all but 1 in 3 days), my scores fluctuating between 7-10 without any sufficient trend. And now, I stand about to finish EK101 still without any comfort of a trend(~7-9). I have also began doing LSAT tests(4 so far) which in my opinion make the most sense, my scores showing a dramatic improvement with every test(I might have a better chance at becoming a lawyer at this rate)--but LSAT materials don't seem to translate well, the passages are shorter, and the questions more directed.. perhaps their biggest difference is the perceived sense of certainty that you have deduced or located the correct answer. I'm also half way through GS verbal with straight 8s but have began to feel like the passages have trended towards being a giant word search.

So what does sdn recommend next?(having already done aamc,tprh,ek101,gs, and old lsats) I think my largest problem is timing and staying focused for an hour, usually ill do pretty well on the first few passages then start bombing the later ones--spending too much time understanding the details of the passages and not being left with enough time to reason through the questions.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's been 3.5+ months since you did something (ESPECIALLY the self-assessment and exams from AAMC) then you should re-do it.

Also, please for the love of all that's good and holy STOP doing LSAT reading comp passages. That's a really bad idea.

If you're trying to build up your logical inference and deduction skills what you should actually be using is LSAT Logical Reasoning (the single paragraph questions) questions that ask you to Strengthen or Weaken the argument. Nothing else. No reading comp, no logic games, no other types of logical reasoning questions. The LSAT has a very different flavor and feel to it - I say this as a guy who's got his JD, who got a 180 on the LSAT, and has been teaching/tutoring/training people for both the LSAT and MCAT for over a decade.

If you've burned your way through AAMC tests, AAMC self-assessments, EK101, TPRH, and GS, then basically you're left with Kaplan and Berkeley. Given the time lag it tends to take to get a Berkeley book shipped out to you, I'd suggest your best bet is to pick up the Kaplan verbal book (it's mediocre but serviceable, and at least its fresh practice). You can probably get a copy in like 2 days from Amazon, or see if a local bookstore has one.

Good luck! :)

I just posted this in another thread like two minutes ago, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I just purchased a Testing Solutions verbal test and found it really pretty tough. They've got a few exams available on amazon...I can't speak to their other ones. Also, I agree with Next Step that you can't be taking LSAT problems...not a good idea. I would go with Berkely over Kaplan. I bought the Berkely verbal book and found it to be really good. Not as good as TPR hyperlearning book, but it still was good nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just posted this in another thread like two minutes ago, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I just purchased a Testing Solutions verbal test and found it really pretty tough. They've got a few exams available on amazon...I can't speak to their other ones. Also, I agree with Next Step that you can't be taking LSAT problems...not a good idea. I would go with Berkely over Kaplan. I bought the Berkely verbal book and found it to be really good. Not as good as TPR hyperlearning book, but it still was good nonetheless.

May be I am looking at the wrong site, how and where to purchase the Testing Solutions verbal test? :(

You're welcome! I know you write detailed posts, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the practice tests if you decide to give them a try. I thought they looked good because they had good reviews and were at such a good price per passage compared to other materials.

You're welcome! I know you write detailed posts, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the practice tests if you decide to give them a try. I thought they looked good because they had good reviews and were at such a good price per passage compared to other materials.
I thought the passages to be of decent quality but I cannot stand the formatting of the test(as in how the questions/passages are laid out per page). I think that is just me though.

I thought the passages to be of decent quality but I cannot stand the formatting of the test(as in how the questions/passages are laid out per page). I think that is just me though.

Nop, not just you..........it drives me nuts :(

To AticusHolmes.....let me see if I have enough time to try it and I will let you know.

Nop, not just you..........it drives me nuts :(

To AticusHolmes.....let me see if I have enough time to try it and I will let you know.
A PDF option would be ideal for these but I definitely would not expect them to supply the pdfs of the tests.

Mcatquestion.com also offers verbal passages although I have no clue how many or the quality, but the prices are pretty damn cheap. I heard about this site from Next-Step and I believe he stated they were middle-of-the pack quality wise.

On the formatting for the TS verbal test, yeah, I wish they could figure out a way to have the questions and passage visible at the same time, but I imagine that has more to do with limitations of the kindle than on their design...I agree PDFs would be ideal, but who can blame them? I downloaded the Amazon reading app to my computer and took the practice test on there and overall it wasn't bad at all (at least for me)...I actually think it kind of helped because I wasn't spending so much time reading and re-reading the passage. My timing improved, but I did think the test was harder than what I have seen on other verbal tests. If I find the time, I might write up a review of the Testing Solutions material on here, as it seems like have thrown it into the mix.

@Idiaz29 - Thanks for the heads up on MCATquestion.com. I think I am going to spring for the month membership and give it a try on their question bank. An extra 1,000 problems for $19 isn't bad at all. I haven't read anything about them on here though, however the Next-Step guy does some pretty legit so I bet his assessment is valid. It's interesting to see these smaller companies trying to take on the bigger names. There are some good things out there for sure that don't come from Kaplan, TPR, TBR, and EK, the issue is just finding them!

On the formatting for the TS verbal test, yeah, I wish they could figure out a way to have the questions and passage visible at the same time, but I imagine that has more to do with limitations of the kindle than on their design...I agree PDFs would be ideal, but who can blame them? I downloaded the Amazon reading app to my computer and took the practice test on there and overall it wasn't bad at all (at least for me)...I actually think it kind of helped because I wasn't spending so much time reading and re-reading the passage. My timing improved, but I did think the test was harder than what I have seen on other verbal tests. If I find the time, I might write up a review of the Testing Solutions material on here, as it seems like have thrown it into the mix.

@Idiaz29 - Thanks for the heads up on MCATquestion.com. I think I am going to spring for the month membership and give it a try on their question bank. An extra 1,000 problems for $19 isn't bad at all. I haven't read anything about them on here though, however the Next-Step guy does some pretty legit so I bet his assessment is valid. It's interesting to see these smaller companies trying to take on the bigger names. There are some good things out there for sure that don't come from Kaplan, TPR, TBR, and EK, the issue is just finding them!
I agree it is most certainly not their fault as far as formatting goes. And yeah it is crazy. It would be awesome to glimpse into the future and see which ones make a lasting impact in MCAT prep that way we could be ahead of the curve instead of being the guinea pigs lol

@MedOldAge - Did you try any of there other ones? What did you think? I think I'm going to pick up the other few this weekend...as my verbal isn't where I want it to be, but I also want to hold back the materials I'm 100% certain on until I've got more practice in.

@Idiza29 - What about you?

@MedOldAge - Did you try any of there other ones? What did you think? I think I'm going to pick up the other few this weekend...as my verbal isn't where I want it to be, but I also want to hold back the materials I'm 100% certain on until I've got more practice in.

No I have not tried them nor will I until I finish all of the TPR VW, ICC, AND EK. I may just leave those as a backup plan in case I need to retake. I know the first one was fairly difficult which could be good practice.

Sorry...I tried to find it in the search, but all I could find were references to it, but not an actual definition. What is ICC?

Sorry...I tried to find it in the search, but all I could find were references to it, but not an actual definition. What is ICC?

The Princeton Review In-Class Compendium
- Similar to the TPR Workbook, available to TPR students only, it contains less passages + has no answer explanations

Not yet. Probably either Friday night or Saturday morning.

No problem. As Anonymous stated it is the In-Class Compendium. In addition to no answer explanations, I believe these passages are much more difficult then the ones in the workbook. I'm working on those more for timing purposes before I finish the rest of the TPR VW and EK 101.