Expected pay for hospital position? (Kaiser)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icedcoffee55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I am a relatively new OD grad (2013) and recently completed a pediatric residency.
I have an interview at Kaiser coming up and would like to know the ballpark range in salary I should be expecting. I want to have some kind of leverage with negotiations.

My research on this topic has not shed any light... I have gotten ranges from 70k to 120k.

Considering I've recently just graduated and have completed a residency, what is my worth?

This job is located in Washington.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't work for them. They're infamous for underpaying their OD's and having less than ideal working conditions. Additionally, they've played a large role in screwing up optometry in places like CA by diverting patients w medical problems through the HMO.

Regarding pay, ask high and then come down.

I wouldn't work for them. They're infamous for underpaying their OD's and having less than ideal working conditions. Additionally, they've played a large role in screwing up optometry in places like CA by diverting patients w medical problems through the HMO.

Regarding pay, ask high and then come down.

Thanks for your input. I was not aware Kaiser was this bad, or even that bad at all. Have you had experience with them? I am aware that hospital jobs are going to start you out pretty low, but for a stable place to practice + pretty good benefits, I would say its worth it, IMO. Your salary will increase as you gain more experience over the years, I presume? Or are the 100k+ OD jobs at hospitals a myth?

What kind of "non-ideal" working conditions do you mean? I am very curious.

I chose this route of practice because I did not want to work retail or have the stress of a private practice (and as a new grad, managing a private practice by myself is out of the question). I thought about working in a private practice as an associate, but I would like to explore the HMOs first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I was not aware Kaiser was this bad, or even that bad at all. Have you had experience with them? I am aware that hospital jobs are going to start you out pretty low, but for a stable place to practice + pretty good benefits, I would say its worth it, IMO. Your salary will increase as you gain more experience over the years, I presume? Or are the 100k+ OD jobs at hospitals a myth?

What kind of "non-ideal" working conditions do you mean? I am very curious.

I chose this route of practice because I did not want to work retail or have the stress of a private practice (and as a new grad, managing a private practice by myself is out of the question). I thought about working in a private practice as an associate, but I would like to explore the HMOs first.
Where do you live btw? That matters. I work mostly at a medical based pp (optometry owned) which is similar to a hospital in many ways but with a bigger upside (way over 100k).

I just got off the phone with an od who worked at a hip center and is trying to switch jobs.

Just to chime in -
I'm a new grad (2014) who did not complete a residency. I just accepted a job at a satellite clinic for my city's (large city) county hospital and am currently going through the long credentialing process. They are starting me out at just under 120k with pretty decent benefits and a pension. I don't know how a county hospital would compare to a group like Kaiser, but hopefully it will be somewhat comparable for you.

So they had to post-pone my interview because of some scheduling problems. @310 I also live in Washington, which is where the job is located.

@JHPOD nice congrats! What city are you from if you do not mind me asking?

I've heard mixed things about Washington. Might as well see what they offer, but be careful.