Experience at OSU SOuthwest OK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Does anyone have experience rotating at Oklahoma City (OSUCOM) that they are willing to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of my favorite rotations as a student. I got to do a ton of suturing and abscess I & Ds. I also was able to do several LP's. If you're lucky, they'll let you do central lines and intubations if those procedures are necessary and none of the residents need the procedure. Very diverse pathology....you'll see it all. Medical student and resident conference 2x's per week.

Great group of residents. Some will pimp you a little bit, but it's nothing too difficult. Attendings were pleasant to work with. Residents will let you present their patients to the attendings once they get to know you, and the attendings will critique you and help you fine tune your presentations. They'll pimp you as well, but it's all to try and teach you something.

Their ED is run unlike any other in the country. Prepare to work your butt off. The pace is actually quite shocking at first, but you get used to it. As a med student, they expect you to help clean rooms if you aren't busy seeing a patient to keep throughput going. I was exhausted at the end of every day, but I learned a lot. If the residents see you working hard, they'll put in a good word for you with the attendings and give you procedures. 5-6 residents on per shift with 3 attendings. 2-4 med students on per shift. Main ED is only 22 beds so it gets a little crowded sometimes.

They do not guarantee you an interview if you rotate here. They are also very partial towards and want folks who want to stay in Oklahoma. If you cannot articulate why you want to stay in Oklahoma for residency and why you want to be in their program, don't bother doing a rotation there. Again, they really want folks who want to stay in OK and will rank their program #1.

Overall, really good program. Only residency program at the hospital. Trauma, Peds ER, and PICU done at OU across town. You'd be well-trained.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a med student, they expect you to help clean rooms if you aren't busy seeing a patient to keep throughput going. I was exhausted at the end of every day, but I learned a lot.
Are you kidding me?

5-6 residents on per shift with 3 attendings. 2-4 med students on per shift. Main ED is only 22 beds so it gets a little crowded sometimes.
This seems insanely crowded.

I'm really glad you had a good time there, but after reading your post there is no way in hell I would ever recommend that program to anyone looking to do an away.

Cleaning rooms?

For reference on both of my EM rotations it was generally 0.5-1 attending, 1 resident, 1 med student per pod. Each pod is about 12 pts plus up to 5 hallway beds.

Because of their throughput, you're always busy, except the last 4 hours of most overnight shifts. It really is a good rotation as a student. Out of my four auditions, it was the place where I got to do the most. I also was made to feel like I was part of the team. They see about 90k patients per year in those 22 beds. Constant turnover. Like I said, they run their ED unlike anyone else. It works. Don't knock it til you see it. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Somehow based on your description of the program and the fact that you loved it, I'm not surprised that you're into skinning cats.

Seriously? That's the best you could do? What a deep, well-thought-out, and mature response. The original poster wanted information. I gave them an honest review of my experience.

DO3, thank you for all the information. I'm also very interested in this program, probably my top DO program of interest and am considering rotating here. Can you speak a little bit about what kind of shifts you are on as a student (day, swing, night, 8/10/12 hr, etc.) and how many per week. Also, do you have the same information for the residents there?

How long did you rotate here? And do the students typically do 2 or 4 week rotations, and what would you recommend?

12 hour shifts. 7a-7p or 7p-7a. 14 shifts as a student. Number per week depends. I think they try and group them together in sets of 4-6. I ended up with a block of 6 days off during my rotation.

I honestly can't remember exactly how many the residents have to do per month each year. I believe they start at 21ish and it counts down to around 12-14ish by the 4th year. The residents are scheduled in blocks of 5-6 shifts in a row. They work a ton intern year and second year. One of the intern months is a house officer month where they are basically on call for codes and procedures for the entire hospital. It's like 26 night shifts 7p-7a. When they weren't on the floor doing something, they were in the ED seeing patients. The residents are able do a ton of moonlighting 3rd and 4th years. Big $$$. Numerous opportunities. Plenty of free time to do it.

I did a 4 week rotation, and if you really want to go there, that's the minimum. There were a handful of students on my rotation who were rotating with them for two months, and a good number of applicants interested in this program will do that. They had done one month already and were back for a second month, or they were on their first month and had another one already scheduled. Wasn't worth it to me to put all my eggs in one basket like that. Arrowhead in Colton, CA was the same way, except that rotating there for two months was highly suggested if you were serious about the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the great information. Wow, that's pretty incredible that students are willing to devote 2 months to a single place like that, but I guess it makes sense since it sounds like their priority is finding people who are willing to basically commit to them.

Thank you DO3. I pmed you