Experience in a Dental Lab Beneficial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

Would it be beneficial to get experience in a dental lab (where dentures and crowns are made)? My parents own a lab (my mother is the dental ceramist) and I'm curious if experience in there and a letter of recommendation would be beneficial for me when applying to dental school. Anyone with experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Get in that lab NOW!
You should learn every step of the production process, top to bottom. Your family has a golden resource, use it!
Many of the best crown and bridge dentists in the country started as lab bench monkeys.

You are so lucky that your resource is so close to home! Some of us have to bend over backwards just to get into a dental lab. :p (Not saying it's me, but I'm sure there are people. Haha).

Take advantage of it! It surely won't hurt to list that on your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be beneficial to get experience in a dental lab (where dentures and crowns are made)? My parents own a lab (my mother is the dental ceramist) and I'm curious if experience in there and a letter of recommendation would be beneficial for me when applying to dental school. Anyone with experience with this?

Lab experience is not going to change your appeal without the stats. Nothing like getting an LOR from Mom.

Lab experience is not going to change your appeal without the stats. Nothing like getting an LOR from Mom.

cool. Thanks for the input. So it wouldn't really mean anything on the application? Since its all about numbers apparently?

cool. Thanks for the input. So it wouldn't really mean anything on the application? Since its all about numbers apparently?

It still means something. Maybe not as much as your stats but its good to have on your application and would be something interesting to bring up at the interview. It can only help you, not hurt you.

Don't get the letter of rec from mom or the family dental lab though. Stick to dentist + 2 sciece professors