PhD/PsyD Experience Vs. $$$ - Applying to Pacifica PHD Program Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisypheandreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I've searched a couple threads for advice, but have had no luck finding an answer elsewhere.

Independent 25 y/o adult here, I have a 3.8 GPA Psych All Honors BA from UCSC. I have been unable to find a suitable (to my interests) entry level position into the Psych field until now.

I work 40+ hours a week at the moment as an office manager with flexible hours at $15-$20 an hour, and have been able to live comfortably. I am planning on applying to Pacifica in SB for their clinical PHD program in the near future.

I have an opportunity to work at a holistic oriented 24-hour residential center for women with eating disorders Friday nights and Sunday mornings. Pay is only $11.5 an hour (I understand this is typical for entry level MHW positions).

My other previous Psych-ish experience is college counseling my peers and tutoring for 4+ years from my college years and beyond - last year was 2014.

My question is this: taking the MHW position CAN work with the current position I have as an office manager, however I'd be working practically 7 days a week and would not be able to take the higher paying event jobs on the weekend through my office. Is this pay cut worth the experience before applying to a for-profit institution like Pacifica? I need to eat and pay rent obviously, so I would need to do both. Is the experience worthwhile for the paycut and hour increase before entering this field? My goal for obtaining a PHD through Pacifica is ultimately to have my own private practice.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So to be clear - you are recommending NOT applying to Pacifica, and definitely going to an APA accredited program - but taking the experience job in order to then further apply to those types of programs? My desire to apply to Pacifica is both the teaching content and that I wouldn't have to leave LA. All the programs that I have found that are APA / funded do not have subject matter that interests me. . . if they DO they are in a place that I do not want to live in for 6+ years. I've met a handful of Pacifica graduates who do have gainful employment...

If my ultimate goal is my own private practice with a focus on holistic health / positive/ humanistic psych - what do you recommend in general with my situation? Thank you for your advice/comments. :)

Depends on if you have any research experience under your belt. That would be key for any reputable APA accredited program, even if you only want to be a clinician. The geographical inflexibility will likely hurt you more than anything, though. In that case, I'd advise looking at mid-level provider options.

If my ultimate goal is my own private practice with a focus on holistic health / positive/ humanistic psych - what do you recommend in general with my situation? Thank you for your advice/comments. :)

1. If you want to do primary counseling/therapy AND you do not have an interest in participating in research during your training…a mid-level degree would be the better option. I believe doctoral training is still superior for therapy work, but cost-wise and time-wise it makes less sense if a person is not open to learning (in-depth) about research.

2. APA-acred. at the program level and internship level is the minimum training standard for many jobs. Yes California will have jobs that allow for people to come from non-APA-acred. programs, but relocation may be problematic and frankly you will not be competitive for many jobs (even if they allow you to apply for them).

3. Spending $100k+ to come out w/o APA-acred. training is a horrible investment. There really isn't a way to cut it that it makes sense from a practical standpoint. Some people may find a way to make it work, but that is NOT how you should go into the field because standards are increasing going forward.

Last edited:
back to my original Q - this position I am thinking about is not worth the time and low pay??

Let's say I want to have my own practice and maybe help MAPS with research . . . ? Haha, just throwing it all out there. Sorry everyone, just feeling a bit lost on how to proceed with trying to make everything work.

back to my original Q - this position I am thinking about is not worth the time and low pay??

I took two years off between grad and undergrad (several years ago) and worked as a psych tech at a hospital. The pay was more in line with what you are making now. I also worked on a research project with one of the clinical psychologists at my job, which helped my grad school application. I feel like research is more important than clinical experience for getting into school. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: 3 users
I've only had time to skim the OP, so I apologize if I missed pertinent details, but my thoughts are that you'd be better served by keeping the current job (given the flexible hours) and attempting to find an additional part-time research assistantship-type position than you would be taking on the new job in addition to your current one.

While working in the second setting could be very rewarding, I don't know that it'd bolster your application to the extent that it'd be worth taking on the extra work (and for a pay cut, no less). As others have mentioned, research experience is almost-universally significantly more important than clinical experience/exposure. And the latter can be gained via volunteering for a few hours/week in various settings once the research experience is accumulating.