Experience vs Lots of credits (PA to MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stevens_Solstice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Steven and I'm new to this forum site. I couldn't find any forum that was what I'm looking for so I just decided to write my own. I've always wanted to enter the medical field, specifically, becoming an internal medicine physician. But just recently my view on it has been a little changed. I've spoken to my counselor who used to be a dean for a university and to sum up our conversation, he told me that before "I can "Go big" and enter the "high level game" I need to understand if this is what I really want to do for the rest my life, so he told me that it's probably best to have a backup, sort of like a field that does not require much time to have a degree in were I can experience the medical field area before I desire to become a doctor. He also stressed that experience in the medical field before I enter and continue my MD degree is much more desired by those who are looking to hire MD's. I mentioned becoming a PA and he was glad I new about this before we spoke on that day, now I'm sure he's right but is there really that much of a competition in the medical field? I don't doubt my counselors advice, truly i feel that becoming a PA first would be good for me, but I'm just not sure whether how that would look on me because I know a lot people see that transition to be quite distasteful considering that being a PA isn't a bad field but in my case I don't want to be a PA, I'm only considering it because of the experience and how the overall environment is, that's all I care about. My plan is to become a PA (not sure in what field) for perhaps 2 years then continue my path in becoming a doctor, I'm not sure what degree exactly should suit me for my bachelors because I don't want to go back to school for 8 years after becoming a PA. I do want to mention that I'm still in high school (Senior) and that time really for me is not an issue in terms of what has to be done in my situation.

Thanks to all who respond.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to be mean, but your counselor is an idiot. Experience is built into the process of becoming an MD with internship and residency. Go to college, take the prereqs to be an MD, do clinical and non-clinical volunteering. You may decide that the lifestyle of a PA is a better fit, so you can make sure you have the clinical volunteer hours needed. It is competitive to get into medical school, so keep top grades.

As for a back up, pick a major you sophomore year that you like. You don't need to major in biology.

Reactions: 1 users
Wholeheartedly agree with the above. Do not become a PA to get experience; acquire the experience you need to make an informed decision through college. And study something you like-- backup or not, it'll make everything else much more enjoyable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to be mean, but your counselor is an idiot. Experience is built into the process of becoming an MD with internship and residency. Go to college, take the prereqs to be an MD, do clinical and non-clinical volunteering. You may decide that the lifestyle of a PA is a better fit, so you can make sure you have the clinical volunteer hours needed. It is competitive to get into medical school, so keep top grades.

As for a back up, pick a major you sophomore year that you like. You don't need to major in biology.
So just to be clear, you're saying just go straight into the path of becoming a doctor, and that experience will be found as I continue on my way to earning my MD degree. In no shape or form I feel that PA is a good choice for me for the rest my life, I want to open my own clinic and have my own team of nurses and assistants. I think I just doubt myself because I guess I'm scared of heading off to college and have counselors tell me that I shouldn't go for something out of my reach. I have to look past those people I suppose.

Thanks for your response.

Wholeheartedly agree with the above. Do not become a PA to get experience; acquire the experience you need to make an informed decision through college. And study something you like-- backup or not, it'll make everything else much more enjoyable.
Thanks I guess counselors like to over estimate my path sometimes, cause I have an attention disability but I work hard and I don't give up when it comes to what is best for me. I just doubt myself sometimes.

Thanks for your response, I feel more sure of myself now.

Getting into medical school is competitive but it is not impossible and it certainly does not require that you have an entire career in healthcare prior to becoming a physician.

Go to the best school you can get into that you can afford and then complete the pre-requisites which vary (very slightly) from school to school but in general tend to be one year of biology, one year of chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, and 1 year of physics. What you major in is much, much (much much much much) less important (it is not important) than doing well in your classes and growing as a person. Some people like to choose majors that will give them another career to fall back on, others choose to major in what they are passionate about or genuinely interested in so that they can get more out of their coursework (personally, I am a strong supporter of the latter path).

Other than doing well in your classes (a 4.0 is spectacular but unnecessary, a 3.9 is excellent, a 3.8 is great, a 3.7 is good and a 3.6 is borderline acceptable - people get in with lower gpas all of the time but that will depend on other elements of your app) you need to take the MCAT and do well on that as well.

As far as experience goes you should seek some form of clinical volunteering or shadowing early in your college career in order to see what the medical profession is like on the daily. Most importantly, you need to sort out if you want to be around sick people forever and if you like the clinic or hospital environment.

Getting into medical school is competitive but it is not impossible and it certainly does not require that you have an entire career in healthcare prior to becoming a physician.

Go to the best school you can get into that you can afford and then complete the pre-requisites which vary (very slightly) from school to school but in general tend to be one year of biology, one year of chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, and 1 year of physics. What you major in is much, much (much much much much) less important (it is not important) than doing well in your classes and growing as a person. Some people like to choose majors that will give them another career to fall back on, others choose to major in what they are passionate about or genuinely interested in so that they can get more out of their coursework (personally, I am a strong supporter of the latter path).

Other than doing well in your classes (a 4.0 is spectacular but unnecessary, a 3.9 is excellent, a 3.8 is great, a 3.7 is good and a 3.6 is borderline acceptable - people get in with lower gpas all of the time but that will depend on other elements of your app) you need to take the MCAT and do well on that as well.

As far as experience goes you should seek some form of clinical volunteering or shadowing early in your college career in order to see what the medical profession is like on the daily. Most importantly, you need to sort out if you want to be around sick people forever and if you like the clinic or hospital environment.
Wow thank you, I've met many counselors who has told me the same thing that I should think before I go off to college and enter the medical field. I have an attention disability which is why I have these counselors, but I earn my good grades in high school and I do work hard. I doubt myself at times so I guess It's my choice in the end if becoming a doctor is what I really want for myself.

Wow thank you, I've met many counselors who has told me the same thing that I should think before I go off to college and enter the medical field. I have an attention disability which is why I have these counselors, but I earn my good grades in high school and I do work hard. I doubt myself at times so I guess It's my choice in the end if becoming a doctor is what I really want for myself.

It is always good to have people on your team when you are trying to overcome physical obstacles like your disorder but the only way to find out what you can and cannot do is by doing it. In college you will find out what your limits are (or if they exist) and if you can succeed there then you can handle medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks I guess counselors like to over estimate my path sometimes, cause I have an attention disability but I work hard and I don't give up when it comes to what is best for me. I just doubt myself sometimes.

Thanks for your response, I feel more sure of myself now.

Listen, I have (moderate++) ADHD and I scored 39 on the mcat (while working full time, going to school full time, keeping up with my activities etc). And I didn't take it with "special conditions" or whatever. Oh, and I'm ESL.

My point being this: preconceived notions about your limitations become reality simply because you treat them as such; don't let this be the case. If you believe it to be true (that you can't do it), then you won't even try, which means you've failed before you've started.

Expect to hear "no" a lot, but try anyway and assess your ability based on evidence (performance), and make the necessary adjustments. There's no reason for you to doubt yourself, and frankly, you seem quite bright. Just be smart about college and keep up those grades.

In college, make sure you use all kids of resources, including learning study strategies that work for you. It is not a weakness to get help early, it is a path to success.

Hello, my name is Steven and I'm new to this forum site. I couldn't find any forum that was what I'm looking for so I just decided to write my own. I've always wanted to enter the medical field, specifically, becoming an internal medicine physician. But just recently my view on it has been a little changed. I've spoken to my counselor who used to be a dean for a university and to sum up our conversation, he told me that before "I can "Go big" and enter the "high level game" I need to understand if this is what I really want to do for the rest my life, so he told me that it's probably best to have a backup, sort of like a field that does not require much time to have a degree in were I can experience the medical field area before I desire to become a doctor. He also stressed that experience in the medical field before I enter and continue my MD degree is much more desired by those who are looking to hire MD's. I mentioned becoming a PA and he was glad I new about this before we spoke on that day, now I'm sure he's right but is there really that much of a competition in the medical field? I don't doubt my counselors advice, truly i feel that becoming a PA first would be good for me, but I'm just not sure whether how that would look on me because I know a lot people see that transition to be quite distasteful considering that being a PA isn't a bad field but in my case I don't want to be a PA, I'm only considering it because of the experience and how the overall environment is, that's all I care about. My plan is to become a PA (not sure in what field) for perhaps 2 years then continue my path in becoming a doctor, I'm not sure what degree exactly should suit me for my bachelors because I don't want to go back to school for 8 years after becoming a PA. I do want to mention that I'm still in high school (Senior) and that time really for me is not an issue in terms of what has to be done in my situation.

Thanks to all who respond.
It is good that you are asking these questions while in high school, also keeping an open mind is not a bad thing, as for PA is a great field you can learn a lot as a PA and get paid as well, however don't forget to calculate the cost as some PA schools can be expensive.
Good luck