Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SalamAlikom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here with a question about experience.

I did do a quick search but didn't find anything that specifically addresses my problem.

I've been working at an optical establishment for over a year as my intention was to go to optometry school. For the last few months I've been thinking about what I really want to do, and I feel as if medicine would just be a better fit for me (for numerous reasons I won't bore everyone with here, unless someone really wants to know :)). Anyway, I've shadowed MDs, specifically ophthalmologists, and the nuts and bolts of my question is this -- Does the experience I've gained from working in the optical field pertain in any way to medicine? I know, I wasn't the typical CNA.
As for patient contact I do pre-screenings using different techniques, take retinal photos, confirm/submit insurance, gather previous medical history (basic office stuff). I also fit children and adults with glasses, describe how lenses are made/work if they're curious, and troubleshoot fitment issues/vision problems if possible.

Any comments or insight would be much appreciated. Maybe even a Lizzy M interjection if possible. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like good clinical experience to me, especially if you can spin that in your app to stress the patient interactions.

Sounds like good clinical experience to me, especially if you can spin that in your app to stress the patient interactions.

agreed. Your experience is probably better than half of all incoming med students