Expired Medications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglesfan1392

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P4 (matched for residency!) and I get constant questions from family members about expired meds. Can I take them? What can I expect?

I always say that its not a good idea and don't double up on the meds if you do decide to take them. Expired opioids or other controlled substances is definitely something I would want to know more about. Is there anything I should be saying that I'm not? I know Vit C can be dangerous if expired. Are there any other meds that are like this?

An example of what one family member asked me is about expired codeine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Only medications that could be considered harmful once expired are tetracyclines. Other than that, as far as I know, expiration dates are gauges of what time medication lose 10% potency.

It is important that certain emergency meds like epinephrine or nitrostat not be expired though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a P4 (matched for residency!) and I get constant questions from family members about expired meds. Can I take them? What can I expect?

I always say that its not a good idea and don't double up on the meds if you do decide to take them. Expired opioids or other controlled substances is definitely something I would want to know more about. Is there anything I should be saying that I'm not? I know Vit C can be dangerous if expired. Are there any other meds that are like this?

An example of what one family member asked me is about expired codeine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

you just tell them that once the medications expired , the manufacturer cant guarantee they are 100 percent potent. i take expired meds all the time

Usually expiration is an issue of efficacy, not safety, except as mentioned, in the case of tetracycline.

So if you were to take expired morphine or codeine, I would expect that as long as the analgesic effect is working, there isn't anything to be concerned about.

On the other hand, if you were taking expired antiepileptics, antibiotics, or anticoagulants, you might want to reconsider....

I too have never heard about expired vitamin C being dangerous. They do oxidize pretty quickly though.

Reactions: 1 user
Realistically, most drugs are probably good past their expiration date. Legally, one should never recommend that a person take expired drugs. As Caffeine points out, with some drugs, like pain medicines, there is no harm if they don't work(I'm only aware of tetracyclines becoming dangerous when expired), but for drugs such as antiepileptics, etc. it could be risky taking a drug that might not work.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/771253/study_highlights_debate_over_drug_expiration_dates/

The FDA Shelf Life Extension Program has tested hundreds of drugs for the U.S. military since 1985 and found that, on average, they were good for 5 { years after expiration. The program saved $296 million on drug replacements in 2005 alone, the FDA said.