Explain a foreigner how one gets a residency in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuropeanMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

what I'm wondering is whether applying to a residency is solely based on numbers (STEP1, medical school GPA etc). Take surgery: somebody can get really good test results but is clumsy (bad coordination or something) and cannot deal with pressure. You still get into surgery in America? In my country (somewhere in western europe) grades don't matter at all...it's how you perform in surgery that defines you and your chances of continued residency. It's funny how (atleast according to SDN) getting a certain score in step1 is paramount to getting a spot. Seems totally wrong to me. BTW, we have a 6 year program and get to work as doctors after completing 4 years (techinally under supervision but in practice...) so we get A LOT of clinical exposure before graduating (venture to say, more than in the US). I've heard of ppl doing ORIF of the ankle, appendicectomis etc. in the summer between 4. and 5. years.

EDIT. Stupid that this was moved as I was not inquiring about my chances of landing a US residency. Moderator care to comment?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You must complete medical training in your own country and get completely certified to practice medicine

You must take the 3 portions of the USMLE through the ECFMG

Then you have to either find a spot yourself or enter the match.

I'm not 100% on that but I think it covers the high points.

I'm not sure where this was moved from, but it does belong here as you will find the most informed SDN users on this topic in the International Forums.

In essence, it is true that your chances of getting into a US residency are greatly improved by having good USMLE numbers. Many programa run filter files especially for FMGs and if your scores don't meet their minimum criteria, it may never be seen.

Grades, OTOH, for foreign students are irrelevant. US medical faculty have no idea about the quality of your students, teaching, testing and what your grades mean. As long as you aren't at the bottom of your class, your grades are not even assessed as a factor.

Perhaps second on the list of importance would be US clinical experience - ie, electives as a medical student here. This will hopefully yield a US letter of recommendation. LORs from foreign faculty are not seen as useful unless the writer is well recognized as an international expert.

Please read through www.ecfmg.org to see what the requirements are to be eligible to train in the US. You do not need to take Step 3 to be ECFMG certified, only Step 1, 2 CS and CK.

Finally, to get into surgery there are no additional requirements over any other specialty. If you are indeed clumsy and unable to rectify that (as we often say here, "you can teach a monkey to operate"), then you won't survive in residency but there are no procedural skill tests prior to getting into residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
great information :thumbup:

i didn't know that foreign medical graduates didn't have to take step3. but i guess ecfmg exam will cover for it.

in any case wishing good luck :)

You will have to take the USMLE Steps 1 and 2CS and CK, in order to apply for a US residency, also an ECFMG certificate. While scores may not seem fair, they actually are the fairest way to deem if one is suitable for a US residency, thousands of people apply for residencies from schools in different countries. How are PDs going to differentiate them? The USMLE is the most convenient marker.