Explain a low MCAT in a closed file interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azumzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For the school that I am interviewing at, I have a low MCAT. The schools average is 36-38 and my MCAT is in the low 30's. I have a closed file interview at this school. Should I talk about this in the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear some schools treat all applicants equally once they reach the interview stage, so the fact that it is closed file may indicate that they really don't care that you are a few points shy. Better to spend all the available time highlighting the non-MCAT/GPA things that sell you; you're past those.

My .02

Reactions: 1 user
No. Why bring it up if they don't?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's closed, don't bring it up! They specifically don't want a bias to come up related to grades, or academics.

If it's closed, don't bring it up! They specifically don't want a bias to come up related to grades, or academics.
I agree with this. Interviewers may have an unconscious bias that will work against you in their evaluation. The point of the closed interview is to judge you on other factors.

The interview is your opportunity to show the admissions committee the things that can't be seen on an application. Don't waste the precious time talking about numbers they already know.

Reactions: 2 users
ONLY if asked about it!!!
agreed.

never throw mud on a clean car.

it's similar to how one of my teachers explained their grading of assignments, papers, etc. everyone starts at 100% in a closed file interview. first impression can retain 100% or lose a bit, handshake same, smile same, response to first question same, etc etc etc.

never intentionally dock yourself some "points" in the interviewers grade book. if it's closed file, it's because they want the interviewer to know YOU, not your numbers.