Explaining extenuating circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepinMongoose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply for PT school this Summer but I am very worried about how my apps may be perceived. Through undergrad I was part of the university disability program due to issues with my lungs, and at the end of my undergrad I legally took custody of my nephew. There were many days where studying couldn't be priority. I ended up with a 3.68 and I know that on most statements you can explain issues with grades. I'm wondering how I do this to illustrate the severity of the situation without making it seem like a sob story. I've taken the year off since graduating to focus on my health and I've had miraculous improvements so I feel ready.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There is a section that asks if your GPA reflects you. With a 3.68, you may not need it.

I agree with above. There is a small section but I don't think a 3.6 warrants a description. Instead I might work some parts of your story into your essay or interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bring it up during the interview process, you certainly will get one. Bring it up when they ask you what is important to you so you don't come off as whiny.
that's an amazing thing you did while you were not well and will demonstrate to the admissions committee the kind of person you are.

Don't worry. You will do fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to apply for PT school this Summer but I am very worried about how my apps may be perceived. Through undergrad I was part of the university disability program due to issues with my lungs, and at the end of my undergrad I legally took custody of my nephew. There were many days where studying couldn't be priority. I ended up with a 3.68 and I know that on most statements you can explain issues with grades. I'm wondering how I do this to illustrate the severity of the situation without making it seem like a sob story. I've taken the year off since graduating to focus on my health and I've had miraculous improvements so I feel ready.

Thank you

Double post. See your answers in the PT Forum.