Explaining Grade Deficit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weirdy

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA took a huge nose dive from Sophomore -> Junior year. Talking high 2.7-2.9 range. Went back up senior year to 3.0+

Depression was a significant factor, big break up. Other than that there was no excuse.

Was just gonna be honest with them and explain it in passing: "Did not study efficiently, personal problems that affected me mentally". Was also gonna explain to them how I fixed my studying habits and am doing better in grad school.

I don't want to mention the word depression specifically, so is the above satisfactory? Anyone else have an interview that they were asked about their grade deficits? How did you answer it?

Members don't see this ad.

Following... Went through the same thing.

I was in a similar situation, I graduated with a 3.28 then had depression issues during some post-bac classes which brought me down to a 2.9. I got a 32 on the MCAT and applied (in February) to every school, was only accepted at one. Include it in your personal statement maybe as something you overcame in your life. Just say it was a medical issue or something. Also make sure you do well on the MCAT and apply early.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation, I graduated with a 3.28 then had depression issues during some post-bac classes which brought me down to a 2.9. I got a 32 on the MCAT and applied (in February) to every school, was only accepted at one. Include it in your personal statement maybe as something you overcame in your life. Just say it was a medical issue or something. Also make sure you do well on the MCAT and apply early.
check your inbox....

Follow up:

I mentioned it in my personal statement.

Interviewer pointed it out. Noticed the huge turn around between grad school/ undergrad. Also noticed the depression and asked how I was going to cope in a high stress environment.

Knew where they were going with it as soon as they mentioned "personal statement" so I owned up to it and told them what the weaknesses in my file were (you could literally see every bad grade I made circled in pen or highlighted on their files).

Also told them because I hit rock bottom, I know how it feels to eventually get at it again instead of someone who's never been through a break down.

They seemed much more relaxed after they realized I knew what my shortcomings were and addressed it head on. Being transparent helped.

The key to a situation like this is wording, but you're in a good position because your grades improved afterward. From what I gather, you had lost your focus due to a major breakup but after serious self-reflection, you are more resilient and driven now because of it. It really sounds like you learned to keep all parts of your life balanced, and to not let your personal life encroach on your professional life and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got done with an interview, they said they saw a dip and then it came back pretty even to my senior year, and then didnt mention anything or even care much about it. ( I think)

Reactions: 1 users
I finished my undergrad with a 2.9 sgpa and a 3.1 cgpa. Is this something that I should explain in my personal statement?

I finished my undergrad with a 2.9 sgpa and a 3.1 cgpa. Is this something that I should explain in my personal statement?

They will ask you during interviews.

Does not have to be in your personal statement for them to ask.

They have all your grades in hand. Be ready to explain.

They will ask you during interviews.

Does not have to be in your personal statement for them to ask.

They have all your grades in hand. Be ready to explain.

So Midwestern did not want to talk about grades or MCAT scores during our interview. They said they arent looking at it anymore (could be that our interview group just had decent grades and decent MCAT scores). Kent didnt seem to go into detail either.

So Midwestern did not want to talk about grades or MCAT scores during our interview. They said they arent looking at it anymore (could be that our interview group just had decent grades and decent MCAT scores). Kent didnt seem to go into detail either.

Interesting.

I guess I'm kind of surprised because my undergrad grades and MCAT weren't stellar and their matriculating stats are very competitive.

Kent for sure brought up my grades.

Thanks for the tip off.

Interesting.

I guess I'm kind of surprised because my undergrad grades and MCAT weren't stellar and their matriculating stats are very competitive.

Thanks for the tip off.

They did? I'm just concerned because I didn't have any major events in my life that prevented me from reaching higher stats other than moving six hours from home and going through a 1 1/2 years of depression but I don't want to bring that up during an interview...

Interesting.

Thanks for the tip off.

Kent sort of went into mine with just the statement that "looking at your grades you had a small dip and then an upwards trajectory leveling off into your senior year".
My stats arent fantastic either, Im an average Joe, so it may vary on person to person.
I do have a pretty cool set of EC's, and other stuff though.

Members don't see this ad :)
They did? I'm just concerned because I didn't have any major events in my life that prevented me from reaching higher stats other than moving six hours from home and going through a 1 1/2 years of depression but I don't want to bring that up during an interview...

Im not sure how they will look at this. If you have an upward trend youre probably fine, if you can show you figured how to overcome your issue at hand.
Just try a few different scenarios in your head of you explaining the grade dip and the different responses they may have.

Upward trend is fantastic.

My depression affected my grades a lot.

I started out explaining academic shortfalls such as not knowing how to study, not putting in the time for it, not doing practice problems.

Then I would follow up with depression as a significant factor affecting my studies.

Told them explicitly depression wasn't an excuse and I don't accept it as one. But it did play a huge role in my studying.

Upward trend is fantastic.

My depression affected my grades a lot.

I started out explaining academic shortfalls such as not knowing how to study, not putting in the time for it, not doing practice problems.

Then I would follow up with depression as a significant factor affecting my studies.

Told them explicitly depression wasn't an excuse and I don't accept it as one. But it did play a huge role in my studying.

How did the interviewers respond to that?

Honesty is the best policy with regards to grades. That said, I would caution against using mental health as an explanation. There can still be a stigma associated with it as medical school / podiatry school is extremely stressful, causing them to question whether you can make it through.

I by no means agree with this stigma as I myself had some issues in my undergrad due to mental health isues, but it is the unfortunate reality.

Honesty is the best policy with regards to grades. That said, I would caution against using mental health as an explanation. There can still be a stigma associated with it as medical school / podiatry school is extremely stressful, causing them to question whether you can make it through.

I by no means agree with this stigma as I myself had some issues in my undergrad due to mental health isues, but it is the unfortunate reality.

Completely understand.

I was never clinically diagnosed or under medication.

Was an isolated episode. Got over it and doesn't bother me anymore in the slightest.

But yes, it was a risk mentioning it.

Its not fun without a little risk.

I have another concern. I got a 3.67 GPA at community college before I transferred to university. So is my GPA averaged or looked at separately? If it's looked at separately does a 3.67 help against the 3.0 cGPA that I got at university?

I have another concern. I got a 3.67 GPA at community college before I transferred to university. So is my GPA averaged or looked at separately? If it's looked at separately does a 3.67 help against the 3.0 cGPA that I got at university?

Youll have to download each application packet and double check just to make sure they calculated it correctly, BUT,
I believe they are averaged together. So you should have a gpa between 3.67 and 3.0 and they WILL consider both your gpas. And both of them meet the standards of most schools anyway.

Youll have to download each application packet and double check just to make sure they calculated it correctly, BUT,
I believe they are averaged together. So you should have a gpa between 3.67 and 3.0 and they WILL consider both your gpas. And both of them meet the standards of most schools anyway.

Ok thanks I guess that makes me feel a bit better about my chances. What do you mean by downloading each application packet?

Ok thanks I guess that makes me feel a bit better about my chances. What do you mean by downloading each application packet?

Under the main aacpmas application portal (I'm assuming youre applying right now), go to Check Status, click a specific school, and you can download your application which is pretty much what the schools get to see on their end.

I can verify that midwestern doesn't ask about grades/MCAT in the interview. They have a separate panel that assesses the academic portion of your application before they send you the ii. In fact, the panel that conducts your interview doesn't even get to see your grades or MCAT scores, according to the 3 doctors that interviewed me. Just thought I'd pass this information on to those who cared or were curious about MWU.

Reactions: 4 users
So about how long does it take to hear back from each school once verified? After two days I've heard back from Kent, NYCPM, Temple, and Western. Just curious about the others cause I don't remember seeing much on here. Received an email from CSPM today saying the app is processing.

Edit: Meant to post this in a different thread.

Last edited:
So about how long does it take to hear back from each school once verified? After two days I've heard back from Kent, NYCPM, Temple, and Western. Just curious about the others cause I don't remember seeing much on here. Received an email from CSPM today saying the app is processing.

at the latest give them two weeks. sort of depends on the cycle time and how many apps came in. then try calling in. I got most of my acceptances from those schools within 7 days

at the latest give them two weeks. sort of depends on the cycle time and how many apps came in. then try calling in. I got most of my acceptances from those schools within 7 days
Yeah I'm not being impatient, I was just trying to hold off on scheduling my Western interview until I heard something from CSPM. Thinking I could maybe schedule them in one trip if I get an ii from CSPM.