-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted765879

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, sure. Stick in there. A succinct statement about taking an extra two or four hours a week to tend your family's needs is not a sign of instability. It shows you are a normal person. We need normal people in vet school.

If you do use the explanation statement, make sure you don't make it sound like you are blaming this situation or a specific person on dropping classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this cycle as well. I have one W, but took the class the next semester and got an A. The way I see it (and others have told me they see it), a W or two in an otherwise strong application is a non-issue and I'm not going to put anything in my explanation statement. If anything, I feel like it just draws attention to it? At the time it seemed like such a big deal (perfectionist probs), but ultimately I've realized that really not so much...) But that's just me:)

I wrote an explanation statement. It covered my struggle with depression, dropping out of three graduate programs, some other stuff, and how I got better. A "w" or two for a bad semester might warrant a few sentences about how you're so smart that you already know how to take time for yourself (i.e. Make it a good thing not a bad thing), but honestly you could leave it out.

I agree an explanation statement isn't really necessary since you did well that semester otherwise (how is a 4.0 just "fine"????), and those are your only two W's. If it comes up in an interview, you definitely have a good reason for why you dropped the class.

I don't think it matters either way. Whatever you do, keep it short and sweet and professional. No need to write a sob story about grandma and grandpa.

"During spring semester of 20__ I withdrew from two courses in order to tend to multiple family emergencies that occurred simultaneously"

Or something like that. If it's just a one time occurrence no one is going to bat an eye.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't do it, but if you're going to lay awake agonizing over it after you submit the app, wondering if you should have, and you just won't be able to sleep ...

... Then I agree with Minnerbelle. Short and succinct, no dramatizing, just the facts.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.