Express scripts lay offs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metrarx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...-scripts-plans-to-layoff-390-in-tampa/2177748

"...That's more than half of the company's 720-person workforce at 5701 E Hillsborough Ave. The layoffs include nearly 150 high-paying pharmacist positions. The company said it told those employees about the cuts Tuesday and filed the required layoff notice with the state..."

"...The company said it plans mass layoffs in three other states — 290 jobs in Ohio, 370 in Nevada and 580 in Texas at two facilities that will close..."

Ouch. With the current state of pharmacy, many of those pharmacists will be struggling to find employment. Seems like Florida is pretty saturated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reading the article it just seems that the prescription volume is decreasing. They lost United Healthcare and their script volume is down.

"Express Script's first-quarter report, released Tuesday, showed an 18 percent drop in prescriptions handled and a 10 percent decrease in revenue compared with the same period last year."

At the end of the day when you lose 20% of your volume then it gives you an excuse (and necessity) to cut. Plus they can make the remaining pharmacists work harder, because now they are afraid of losing their job.

thats very sad. these ppl will compete with new grads this summer for limited positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel bad for the people who got laid off, but any time Express Scripts is losing business it's a good thing for the profession.

Yeah I know the Tampa location was formerly a Medco mail order facility, and probably not needed anymore since they lost the United Healthcare contract. But man, that's going to be brutal for the 150 pharmacists to get dumped into the jobs market right about when the 750 or whatever number of new grads in Florida are about to start as well. It's going to hit the fan...

I feel bad for those Medco pharmacists but they should already know this was coming. They knew united healthcare wouldn't renew their contract. They knew Medco was being bought out by Express Scripts.

As some already mentioned, the timing definitely sucks. I'm curious how many pharmacists worked there in total.

We're looking for RPh in fl hit me up with ur cv

Glad I didn't take this job when I was a new grad.

Yeah I know the Tampa location was formerly a Medco mail order facility, and probably not needed anymore since they lost the United Healthcare contract. But man, that's going to be brutal for the 150 pharmacists to get dumped into the jobs market right about when the 750 or whatever number of new grads in Florida are about to start as well. It's going to hit the fan...
There are 7 schools in Florida and 8 if you include the satellite school from Pennsylvania. Of those schools, I know NOVA Southeastern has a main campus in Fort Laudy and a satellite in West Palm. I'm sure the other schools have satellites. Each school pumps out at least 250 students a year- u do the math. It's so ridiculous that I have run in to two grads of my school in the middle of BFE. I'm clear across the US in Arizona working on the border, and yes BFE is saturated too.

Well those scripts have to go somewhere so someplace else must be needing pharmacists

This. Also, considering that ES mail order probably has automated systems in place that allows for a much higher script to pharmacist ratio, it could mean more jobs overall. Just tough for the local region though because a lot of those lost scripts aren't going to be local, so that market will be more adversely affected.

Members don't see this ad :)
FL is baaaaaaaaad when it comes to job market.
@Hope1974 - You forgot USF, in Tampa who has not yet graduated its first class. And I hear that NOVA now has a satellite campus in TAMPA as well, in addition to the West Palm Beach Satellite Campus!!!!
Feel sorry for all those Rphs at ES on Hillsborough Ave.

@Hope1974 - You forgot USF, in Tampa who has not yet graduated its first class. And I hear that NOVA now has a satellite campus in TAMPA as well, in addition to the West Palm Beach Satellite Campus!!!!
Your kidding....... So much for going back home....cheers to the Sonoran desert, margaritas n burritos.....*sigh*

I hear some FL hospitals are offering $40/hr to this yr's batch of grads

True in South FL. Don't know about NF. Rate is secondary though. The fact is that job availability is more important and then rate can be negotiated once you get an Interview or an offer.

I hear some FL hospitals are offering $40/hr to this yr's batch of grads

I was offered low $40/hr by a prominent south Florida healthcare system earlier this year. I wasn't really pleased with my final negotiated salary, but it was better than some other major systems. I hear Cleveland clinic's pay is criminally low.

No "Tampa Campus", if so, it's not for Pharmacy...probably PA or Nursing. UF actually has the most satellite campuses in FL. They have their Main Campus plus St. Pete, Jacksonville and Orlando. NSU only has the Main Campus and West Palm (also Puerto Rico if you care to add that).

But yes, overall there are way too many Pharmacy Schools in Florida. Just crazy.

I was offered low $40/hr by a prominent south Florida healthcare system earlier this year. I wasn't really pleased with my final negotiated salary, but it was better than some other major systems. I hear Cleveland clinic's pay is criminally low.

This always amazes me. Not saying you specifically but there are some pharmacists who would rather work for Cleveland clinic, Brigham and Women's, or some other major heathcare system for low pay rather than take more money a small community hospital or a midzise regional hospital in the outskirts of the city would offer. I'd rather take more money and retire early.

Of course there are some prominant healthcare systems still paying ok but this is changing. Administration isn't stupid.

How recent is your information? Cleveland Clinic main campus position started at $48/h in 2010.

How recent is your information? Cleveland Clinic main campus position started at $48/h in 2010.

I heard this late 2013. It is just second hand information, but I was told Cleveland clinic was one of the lowest paying institutions in the area. Everyone seems to pay less in South Florida than I was used to seeing in the midwest.

Anyone know the current rates offered in hospitals around Florida at the moment, are the rates steady or getting lower ?

Why the hell do so many people want to live in south FL? I lived and went to school there for 2 semesters recently, and I hated it. Way too many people, extremely expensive (crappy 1 BR apartment was $1,500/month + utilities), miserable traffic, and snobby attitudes everywhere you go. What's the attraction? Is it the beach and the weather?

Why the hell do so many people want to live in south FL? I lived and went to school there for 2 semesters recently, and I hated it. Way too many people, extremely expensive (crappy 1 BR apartment was $1,500/month + utilities), miserable traffic, and snobby attitudes everywhere you go. What's the attraction? Is it the beach and the weather?
I went school here too and stayed on for a retail position. Now trying to get out of here. I agree with you...rude people, real bad bad drivers and horrible traffic. The weather sucks too...

Is that South FL if you don't mind me asking? how hard is it getting a permanent positions at your hospital?
Yes, it's South Florida. I'd say it would be very hard to get a permanent job at this particular hospital, given that they laid off 2 RPh shortly after I was hired and brought up to speed. :eek: I'm ok staying as a per diem though, because I have a cushy full-time job.

I recently left South Florida, but friends of mine took hospital jobs last year at around $46/hr. Same hospital that offered me $44/hr in 2013. Nice to see the starting rate a little higher, even if it's still low compared to national averages.

I would assume a full time position will be at a lower hourly rate then what your getting?
Traditionally that is usually the case, but I think this hospital is using the saturation to their advantage to drive down their labor costs by only offering per diem at a low rate, with no intention to hire any full-timers at all.

Traditionally that is usually the case, but I think this hospital is using the saturation to their advantage to drive down their labor costs by only offering per diem at a low rate, with no intention to hire any full-timers at all.

Wow, that's pretty low. How many per diem are there? I know people in the area who have been hired per diem but worked 40 hours per week. They were new grads and happy to get the hours, but they didn't receive any benefits. It feels very shady, bordering on illegal, but who knows. The one thing you can count on is pharmacists not standing up for themselves.

Wow, that's pretty low. How many per diem are there? I know people in the area who have been hired per diem but worked 40 hours per week. They were new grads and happy to get the hours, but they didn't receive any benefits. It feels very shady, bordering on illegal, but who knows. The one thing you can count on is pharmacists not standing up for themselves.
3 per diems, 8 FT.

Yeah I don't like the way this is heading, but on the other hand I sort of accept that's how the market works when it gets saturated.