Expressing desire to enter Primary Care = Risky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've shadowed a bunch of specialties, including family medicine, and I think I want to be a PCP now. Is there any risk in stating my desire to be a primary care doctor in my PS or in my interviews? I have many compelling reasons why I want to go into primary care, and I can articulate them well. I am just concerned that this may be looked at negatively by schools that do not focus on primary care. Is it more risk-averse to just say that you are undecided?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it can ever hurt you to have a specific specialty in mind, especially if it's primary care. Depending on the school mission, they may actually prefer that you expressed such interest.

Reactions: 2 users
It doesn't hurt to have an interest, but appear to have an open mind for new interests at interviews. Leave future specialty choice out of your PS, it should be why medicine, not why primary care, derm, plastic surgery, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've shadowed a bunch of specialties, including family medicine, and I think I want to be a PCP now. Is there any risk in stating my desire to be a primary care doctor in my PS or in my interviews? I have many compelling reasons why I want to go into primary care, and I can articulate them well. I am just concerned that this may be looked at negatively by schools that do not focus on primary care. Is it more risk-averse to just say that you are undecided?

Thoughts?

http://www.gomerblog.com/2014/01/ma...ed-school-personal-statement-legally-binding/

Reactions: 3 users
That's pretty much the secret handshake to get into a DO school.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be upfront about what interests YOU. How have your experiences shaped that specific desire? People are always so hesitant to be themselves on these apps, for fear that a school won't like them. Saying you want to be a PCP, if that's what you want to do, is not a risk at all.

If there is any specialty that is NOT a risk to state, it is PCP.

Reactions: 2 users