About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Externship application and LORs

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by Ankle Breaker, Mar 18, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Podiatrist SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    The director of clerkships at our school told us that this year we would not need LORs for the externship application.

My question is are there programs out there that specifically told you they wanted LORs? Or was it assumed LORs would be included with the student's application since they were required other years.

I'd hate to get no LORs since its not required only to have program ask me for one. I will contact the programs myself and ask but I figured it would be helpful to ask on here as well.
  2. 347932

Attending Physician
    Your school is the best resource for this. If they say you don't need them, then I wouldn't get them. If a specific program requires them, your school's people should be able to give you that information.
  3. ldsrmdude

ldsrmdude Pod Mod 'Dude Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Gold Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    My core program specifically asked me for LOR's, and I know that they read them as I have heard the externship director talk about some of the letters he has received. I assume that is the case this upcoming year as well, but maybe things have changed since I applied (2 years ago). I could see them not doing it anymore since I don't think they add a whole amount to the application overall.
  4. darazon

darazon

Resident [Any Field]
    Podiatrist SDN 5+ Year Member
    For us (class of 2013) it was program specific for LORs; some required them, some didn't. The CASPR/CRIP website had all the info listed that you needed to apply with to the respective externships.

Our school also told us it wasn't that urgent to get your applications in the day it opened up!! Big mistake. I would go with what CASPR/CRIP says - I don't like to trust 2nd-hand information, even from my own faculty.
  5. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Podiatrist SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for your response. I was getting confused because our director tells us one thing but the CASPR/CRIP site says another. I will try and clear things up and post an update on here.