Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDLissa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing reaching on audiology schools, etc and I have read about grad students trying to find 4th year placements for externships. Does the college not place you in an externship position? Do you have to locate it all on your own?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, most of the time you'll need to find your own. It's good practice for when you graduate and are in the real world! Although, a lot of schools will support you and help you through the process, if you're struggling to find a placement.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using SDN Mobile

Another note on this topic, lots of schools already have established relationships with the local community and other hospitals, schools, and PPs across the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I guess it does make sense that it gives you the experience when looking for a job after graduation. I guess in a way it is kind of like when a SLP has to do their CFY after graduation except they get paid for that lol

There are plenty of places that will pay you for your time, but it just depends in the site. :)

It depends on the program. I know that Louisville, for example, does not help you find an externship but they also do not charge you tuition for your 4th year. KU gives you the option of finding your own, which most students prefer. If you choose not to, they will find one for you. They do charge tuition though.

Most schools are hands off when it comes to your externship for your 4th year. Many will evaluate your placement and say yay or ney, but few will set them up for you.

It is good practice for the real world and job hunting. I also think it was the most stressful time in my life since I had to stay in the same state in a very rural location. If you don't care where you go geographically for the year then it's rather easy to find a placement.

The AAA website has a wonderful student registry for externships. Also I'd reach out to past students because often they can tell you if their current employer would take a 4th year or not.

The VA has amazing 4th year placements and often they are late in the year for offering due to funding so unfortunately a lot of times some of the poorer students who are slow on the ball get the best placements.

I know I had my placement locked down by March of my 3rd year. Others who did not put in the time ended getting a VA placement in late April.

The VA treats you as an employee and pays you with health insurance. These are often listed on the AAA externship registry as well.