Externships - How to be an attractive candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vesti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently in the first year of my AuD program and I am beginning to ponder my 4th year externship. I was wondering if any of you could give me any pointers as to what will make me (and others in my position) an attractive candidate for competitive externships. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a little early to be thinking about this unless you are interested in doing research.

However my #1 tip is that if you do a summer externship as part of your program or if you are just able to do a 2nd year summer externship, try to get that at the actual place or at least in the field that you hope to do your 4th year in. It helps.

Definitely include your total clinical clock hours of direct patient contact and break it down into what areas you've had hours in such as pediatrics, adults, diagnostics, hearing aids, aural rehab, balance, etc.

Be sure to list what hearing aid companies you are familiar with. Find out what the place you are interested in your fourth year dispenses. Learn the products. Read the white pages and research behind the products.

Research the people on staff. Find out what their interests are. Remember you are telling them why you should be chosen to join their team. Why are you a viable person to train and mentor? If you are interested in vestibular testing or auditory processing disorders and a certain staff member does that as a major research or clinical interest then state that in your cover letter and in the interview.

I was floored by a student who contact me once for a possible summer placement.

She knew what research I had done. What my clinical interests were. What hearing aid companies I sold.

I was impressed. She had done her homework.

Remember getting a fourth year is just like landing a job, only harder because you don't have the experience under your belt to sell yourself. Tell them why you are someone they would want on their team. I landed my fourth year gig because I was always willing to drop everything and work the front office if there were no patients to be seen. I was doing billing and calling pt's and scheduling them. Updating advertising stuff for the clinic I was in.

These are all things people look for in their 4th years. Look at what skill sets you apart from the rest of the pack. And then run with it.

Definitely include your total clinical clock hours of direct patient contact and break it down into what areas you've had hours in such as pediatrics, adults, diagnostics, hearing aids, aural rehab, balance, etc.

Be sure to list what hearing aid companies you are familiar with. Find out what the place you are interested in your fourth year dispenses. Learn the products. Read the white pages and research behind the products.

Research the people on staff. Find out what their interests are. Remember you are telling them why you should be chosen to join their team. Why are you a viable person to train and mentor? If you are interested in vestibular testing or auditory processing disorders and a certain staff member does that as a major research or clinical interest then state that in your cover letter and in the interview.

I was floored by a student who contact me once for a possible summer placement.

She knew what research I had done. What my clinical interests were. What hearing aid companies I sold.

I was impressed. She had done her homework.

Remember getting a fourth year is just like landing a job, only harder because you don't have the experience under your belt to sell yourself. Tell them why you are someone they would want on their team. I landed my fourth year gig because I was always willing to drop everything and work the front office if there were no patients to be seen. I was doing billing and calling pt's and scheduling them. Updating advertising stuff for the clinic I was in.

These are all things people look for in their 4th years. Look at what skill sets you apart from the rest of the pack. And then run with it.

I agree with this...especially the do your hw part. Before I meet with any placement AuD, I research them. Their interests, their research, I take the time because they are taking the time to talk to me and I am going to make it worth both of our time. Focus on the experiences and what you are interested, and be prepared to discuss it. If you are interested in vestib testing and diagnosis, know why...its not enough to say I enjoy working with vestib patients, you need to know why. I know it seems like a lot but knowing who you are meeting and not going in blind is always good.