Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigigirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,,
i know it's still early in the game but i have decided to do something productive with the grief from my rejections by looking externships. I don't know anyone in my program who has been on one so i have some questions and i will be happy if some of you can provide some guidance.

1. Do you still have to take classes when you are on an externship?
2. Has anybody taken an externship out of state from their schools?
3. For international students who may have gone on externship, does your school treat it as another practicum or do you use your cpt.

Thanks

Gigigirl

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that a lot of this would depend on your program. Most externships that I have seen require you to be enrolled in some sort of class that gives credit for the externship. Just a field based prac course, if your university has you register for those. There are a lot of people from my program that have completed externships outside of the state. The thing that should be considered is that you will likely only be at your externship site for around 20 hours a week. So it's definitely not a full-time thing. This can make things more difficult if you are in another state unless you find a research opportunity or a job in the area.

On a side note... I thought that you hadn't heard from all of your sites yet. I know how you feel though, I'm already looking at additional classes that I could take "just in case". Just don't give up hope if you haven't heard from all of them yet!

Thanks for the infor, i have decided to hope for the best and prepare for the worst