EXTERNSHIPSHIP ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azfeltM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some tips in applying/preparing for externships? -2Y Clin Psych ph.d student

Members don't see this ad.

treat it like a job interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would hope that a 2nd year doctoral student has held employment somewhere before.

I recall my parents putting me to work at age 14. And yes there was snow, And yes, uphill both ways.

Last edited:
I would hope that a 2nd year doctoral student has held employment somewhere before.

I recall my parents putting me to work at age 14. And yes there was snow, And yes, uphill both ways.

Different families, different cultures. I was not allowed to work until after college. My job was school. Feel free to judge.

What are some tips in applying/preparing for externships? -2Y Clin Psych ph.d student
To bring it back to your question, need a little more in terms of specifics. Are you cold-calling externship sites? Are these pre-approved by your program? Are they in a specialty area that you want to practice in career-wise, etc? Or do you just want tips on the interview portion for these things? What's your situation, and what is your question?

Nah. He shared his history, I shared mine. How'd it go bad? You're just gun shy.
It's more of a problem with intentionally provoking response, which leads to more provoking of responses. Other posters just shun the thread as you two go through the usual pissing contest, and the OP in turn usually doesn't get an answer for what they originally asked. Just starting to get a bit formulaic.

It's more of a problem with intentionally provoking response, which leads to more provoking of responses. Other posters just shun the thread as you two go through the usual pissing contest, and the OP in turn usually doesn't get an answer for what they originally asked. Just starting to get a bit formulaic.
I actually do not know what you mean in this case.

To answer the OP's question, my advice would be to not stress too much over the type of externship you're getting. All experience is valuable, even if it's not directly in your specific interest area. I only got one of my top choice prac sites and my first year applying I got pretty much the last one that was open. But I still got an internship that was generally in the area I wanted.

Nah. He shared his history, I shared mine. How'd it go bad? You're just gun shy.

Whats all this shenanigans while I'm away for the weekend?

The original advice is applicable no matter when you started working-treat it like a job interview, much like I'm sure he/she did when they interviewed for admission to the program. I'm sure we can universally agree that this would be better than treating it like a BBQ social hour.

Whats all this shenanigans while I'm away for the weekend?

The original advice is applicable no matter when you started working-treat it like a job interview, much like I'm sure he/she did when they interviewed for admission to the program. I'm sure we can universally agree that this would be better than treating it like a BBQ social hour.
True enough, but there's a point of reference that must be considered. Saying something like "treat it like a White House state dinner" wouldn't tell me much about how to behave or what to wear. I was making the point that sometimes things need to be spelled out, rather than comparing it to occasions where informal behavior is appropriate. That is a straw man.

Last edited: