Extra $240 in NRMP Fees? What?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H&P-Stat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already heard that the NRMP charges you $30 for each program you rank above the 15 freebies. But does this apply to programs in your Supplemental Lists? Do they charge you for each time you rank the same program in a different Supplemental list?

Here's my story:

I ranked 11 Anesthesiology programs, but 4 of them have both Categorical and Supplemental options. So that makes 15 programs in my Primary Rank List.

I interviewed at four Transitional Year programs: 2 in the South (call them programs W and X) and 2 in the Midwest (programs Y and Z).

To all of the Anesthesiology programs in the South, I've attached Supplemental List A which lists the TY programs in the following order: W - X - Y - Z.

Conversely, to all the Anesthesiology programs in the Midwest, I attached Supplemental List B which ranks the TY programs in the order: Y - Z - W - X.

Here's the deal... when I certified my list, the NRMP e-mailed me a message saying I've ranked a total of 23 programs.... 15 in my Primary List, 4 in Supplemental List A, and 4 in Supplemental List B. According to my calculations, this is going to cost me an extra $240 dollars in fees ($30 bucks times 8 programs over the free 15). WTF !?!?!?!?!?!?

Could this be right ?!? What a scam !

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you want to rearrange things, you're stuck. Considering all the money you have spent just getting to this point, it is a drop in the bucket (and you are over a barrel). Just wait until you get to apply for a license!

Originally posted by Annette
Unless you want to rearrange things, you're stuck. Considering all the money you have spent just getting to this point, it is a drop in the bucket (and you are over a barrel). Just wait until you get to apply for a license!

You ain't lying!!

Don't sweat it bro. We can rank up to 15 programs on each list... i.e. 1-15 programs on our Primary and 1-15 programs on each of our Supplementals, without having any more blood sucked out of us.

My confirmatory e-mail from NRMP states that I ranked a total of 36, but I'm still cool, since none of those lists exceeded 15 ranks.

Of course, I don't expect you to put your faith in a Caribbean d[st]ud like me, so check it out for yourself on the site. Go to Help, then Search, then type "payments", then click on "Rank Order List Fees."

T minus 5 days till the ROL deadline :eek: ...

Damn, Cuts. What would I do without you.

Looks like I won't owe the NRMP any more money. However, it seems that if the number of programs on all of your Supplemental Lists combined add up to over 15, you're gonna get charged. I'm not sure if the same programs get counted twice if they show up on different Supplemental Lists. Here's the quote from the website:

"An applicant may rank up to 15 programs on any of his or her Primary Rank Order Lists with no additional charge. He or she may also rank a total of 15 programs on all of his or her Supplemental Rank Order Lists with no additional charge. However, each ranked program after 15 will incur a charge of $30 per program.

Primary Rank Order Lists Fee
1 to 15 programs ranked
No Charge
Each additional program over 15
$30.00/program ranked

Supplemental Rank Order Lists Fee
1 to 15 programs ranked
No Charge
Each additional program over 15
$30.00/ program ranked on all Supplemental lists combined"

In my case, I'm not sure if I have 4 programs COMBINED on my Supplemental Lists or 8 programs since they each appear twice. Either way, I'm under the 15 program limit.

Good luck everyone!!!!!

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
However, it seems that if the number of programs on all of your Supplemental Lists combined add up to over 15, you're gonna get charged. I'm not sure if the same programs get counted twice if they show up on different Supplemental Lists. !

I'm pretty sure each PGY-1 program you rank on your Supplemental gets counted only once, regardless of how many different Supplementals you create. For example, I interviewed for 9 PGY-1 programs, of which I'm only going to rank 7. I placed these 7 on three different Supplemental Lists... varying the order slightly on each list. Seven x 3 = 21 which is >15, but on my Applicant Options Page, it still says PAID next to "Fee Status:" So I'm home free.

I suppose theoretically one could have a Primary List of 15 different PGY-2 programs, assign a different Supplemental List to each one, and have 15 PGY-1 programs on each Supplemental List--in different orders. He would have a total of 225 ranks, with no additional payment required :p ! Now THAT's getting you're money's worth :cool: ...

Could anyone explain what a supplemental rank list is to a confused M3? Thanks,
Mary