Extra Curricular for Application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

Hey guys, new member here (been lurking for a little while). I was wondering what you guys think of Joining a fraternity for an extra curricular activity/organization. Is this a good idea and will it benefit me?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure!
If you enjoy it, why not. But do not take up something to fill up your resume, you will regret it later on.

benefits: leadership, interpersonal, time managment, involvement in community, and many more.......

There is a good reason why med schools "REQUIRE" all that.

If you take a good position, you can list it as leadership. for example if you are social or philanthropy chairman

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen it said here on SDN that you should only join a service or academically-oriented frat, not a social frat. Unless you are among the leadership of the latter, it won't help you. And it could certainly hurt you if you get too caught up in the distractions provided.

I've seen it said here on SDN that you should only join a service or academically-oriented frat, not a social frat. Unless you are among the leadership of the latter, it won't help you. And it could certainly hurt you if you get too caught up in the distractions provided.

Ugh... comments like these kinda annoy me. Telling someone they shouldn't join something because of "distractions" is lame! "Work hard and play hard" is a motto used by lots of my premed friends, and I agree (and we've made it, so we must have done something right!). It'll open up convenient social channels for you - so if you are interested, go for it. Will it "help" - probably not, but as long as you stay out of trouble it won't hurt you either!

ENJOY college, you should have a good balance between academics and social life!

It'll open up convenient social channels for you - so if you are interested, go for it. Will it "help" - probably not, but as long as you stay out of trouble it won't hurt you either!
Agree with this statement. I certainly wouldn't join a social frat with the goal of using it to improve your application - there are many better opportunities out there. But remember, be a human first and a premed second :)

Join and get on the E-board. Lots of fun to be had in social fraternities, and the leadership positions also look good on applications. Rush/pledgeship is a big time commitment though, but once you're an active nobody really expects anything of you.