Extra income/side job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisinopril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone of pharmacists here doing a side job, such as realtor , restaurant owner , etcc?? Please share your stories/ideas....I wanna generate more income to achieve my early retirement goal ...:) Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You know who said, "hey, I want to retire early, I'm gonna open a restaurant as a side job"

NO ONE!

But seriously, if you want to retire early just work pharmacy more and spend less. Nothing is going to give you the income/hour and you are already trained to do it. Or do some high risk investing

Last edited:
I'm still looking....the tough part is that we work 40 hours/week...with 30-60 minute commutes; how can we be at a restaurant or side business?

so it needs to be passive income...you pay someone else to run it for you, but that usually means they rob you blind...even friends and family will rob you blind :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a Realtor isn't a 9-5 job either. In fact, they MOSTLY work evenings and weekends, because that's when people are available to look at houses, and there's no guarantee of income either because it's commission only.

If you don't have kids and want to retire early, don't have them. That's how I managed to pull it off! :D :cool:

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone of pharmacists here doing a side job, such as realtor , restaurant owner , etcc?? Please share your stories/ideas....I wanna generate more income to achieve my early retirement goal ...:) Thanks

We have a few rental properties, I moonlight a little and my SO moonlights also.

Yep, investing for passive income is the easiest way. After I paid off my student loans, I continued to live fairly frugally. All of my spare income first gets invested in stocks and bonds. Over time, it has SNOWBALLED into quite a substantial amount and generates decent income. If it does well, then I might withdraw part of it for purchases. However, I haven't had to make any withdrawals yet because things like houses and cars can be bought with extremely low interest rate loans, much lower than my investment returns.

Don't assume getting a side job in pharmacy means you will be doing the same exact thing that you do at your full time job. Getting a side job actually lets you explore some of those other areas of pharmacy that aren't as common. For example I work full time in a hopsital. I started doing work with a temp agency that sent me to all sorts of clinics, central fill centers, hospice pharmacies, compounding pharmacies, etc. I finally landed a permanent gig doing on-call work for a hospice pharmacy. I get paid to mostly do work from home and with maybe and then some hours on site on weekends. It's been a very cool experience and the extra money is incredible! :)

Hi all,

I know that I can't just do pharmacy alone. I believe that when I land my job, I will probably Start buying and renting properties near a university setting. (Catering specifically to serious Professional students). I think that not only will you be receiving supplemental income, you can gain property and assuming the economy will turn around, you can sell your properties and retire comfortably.

You know who said, "hey, I want to retire early, I'm gonna open a restaurant as a side job"

NO ONE!

But seriously, if you want to retire early just work pharmacy more and spend less. Nothing is going to give you the income/hour and you are already trained to do it. Or do some high risk investing

Hilarious! lol

Yep, investing for passive income is the easiest way. After I paid off my student loans, I continued to live fairly frugally. All of my spare income first gets invested in stocks and bonds. Over time, it has SNOWBALLED into quite a substantial amount and generates decent income. If it does well, then I might withdraw part of it for purchases. However, I haven't had to make any withdrawals yet because things like houses and cars can be bought with extremely low interest rate loans, much lower than my investment returns.
This is a sound advice for people who want to retire early...