Extra time on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCCIV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeated question but I was wondering if there's any way I would be allowed extra time on the MCAT? I'm a freshman in college and last week I was diagnosed with ADHD. In high school I could never focus in class and found myself putting in more effort than the rest of my classmates to complete homework and tests. My brother and father both have ADHD but I thought the reason for me putting in more work was normal. About two weeks in college I noticed that I could never stay focus in class or studying more than 30 minutes before becoming easily distracted. So I went to a psychologist and he diagnosed me with ADHD. I'm currently on 40 mG of vyvanse taken once a day in the mornings. The medication helps a lot with my focus but it still takes me a while to finish tasks. Is there anyway I could receive extra time on the MCAT? If so, what do I need to do in order to receive it?

Members don't see this ad.

Really doubt it bro. I know people with worse mentally like concussions and adhd and severe test taking anxiety who couldn't get it despite documentation for extended time from their uni and for the SAT. I have ADD and managed to do alright on the test ~514, so don't let your condition dictate what you can and cannot do, i.e don't use it as a crutch. Sure it will be tough but I have faith that You got it.

I had a friend who used the accommodations for a learning disability. For other people reading this, do not think that it will put you at an advantage: the test is taken over two days instead of one. And you also need complete documentation, per above.

As you are a freshman, you dont even need to worry about it until later. Do well in your classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really doubt it bro. I know people with worse mentally like concussions and adhd and severe test taking anxiety who couldn't get it despite documentation for extended time from their uni and for the SAT. I have ADD and managed to do alright on the test ~514, so don't let your condition dictate what you can and cannot do, i.e don't use it as a crutch. Sure it will be tough but I have faith that You got it.

514 isn't just alright. Are you on medications?

Does requiring more time on the MCAT put you at a disadvantage when applying to medical schools?

Is it something that the schools would be aware of and could cause them to questions that individuals' fitness for the demanding curriculum of a medical education?

Does requiring more time on the MCAT put you at a disadvantage when applying to medical schools?

Is it something that the schools would be aware of and could cause them to questions that individuals' fitness for the demanding curriculum of a medical education?
No they can't see that you got extra time

You gonna ask for extra time when a patient is coding in front of you too, OP?

smh
Dude, not every doctor is under those high pressure situations...He could work in radiology or some other low pressure field. Be more supportive. One test shouldn't determine whether he qualified or not.

Reactions: 1 users
You gonna ask for extra time when a patient is coding in front of you too, OP?

smh
You can ask that question to any doctor with a mental disability and they for sure can answer how they react on a coding situation. I dont know maybe they start screaming in front of everyone. As stupid as my answer is your answer is also.

Reactions: 1 user
You can ask that question to any doctor with a mental disability and they for sure can answer how they react on a coding situation. I dont know maybe they start screaming in front of everyone. As stupid as my answer is your answer is also.
Deep