Extra Undergrad year vs. Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jiraiya2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my second thread on this forum, I really do appreciate your advice :).

I am currently in my 5th year finishing up my second undergrad degree in biology (technically it is my 6th as I spent a year right after high school at a local cc to take ESL and English courses because I am an immigrant). By the end of this school year, I will be missing only one course to fulfill the graduation requirement (the course is only offered once every year during Winter). My cGPA right now is 3.63, and if everything goes well, I would be able to bring it up to 3.69-3.70ish by the end of this school year, and including the course I will be taking in next year's winter term, that hopefully will bring me to 3.70. I am also thinking about remaining in school as a full-time student next year so that I can get financial aid to fund my courses and also be able to bring my GPA up to hopefully 3.75 (I will still be taking out some sub loan). Would it be bad to show medical schools that it took me 7 years to complete both of my majors, even though my first year was spent primarily to improve my English communication skills, and the last year was just to bring up GPA and finish one course of the degree's requirement ? I however can apply for early graduation this year and my degrees will be held by the university until I have finished the missing course, which would turn next year into my first post-bacc year. Would that be a better course of action ?

Members don't see this ad.