Extracurricular Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CringyLife32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm a pre-med student (duh) and I was wondering about your opinion on my EC's so far? I'm just a freshman at the moment, and I am currently going to a junior college. I have a 4.0 GPA, and have aced everything so far, and I will try to keep it up the best I can. I am involved in the local pre-med club, as well as a GMT club, in which we go to Panama and help out sick people there for a week in the summer. I am also working part-time, so my time is constricted, but I need your guy's opinion on my current EC. I am a volunteer for Mended Hearts, and what we do is we go and talk to heart patients in our local hospital, as most of the people in the organization had a heart problem at one point (myself included). I go on Sundays for about 2 hours, is this a good reputable EC for Medical schools, or should I look for another organizations to volunteer for? Already thank you guys for your assessment on my EC's so far, please no BS answers, I just want an honest opinion on my EC's so I know if I should change it or not. Also, if you guys look up the organization and find it inadequate, please recommend one to me that would be good for med schools? Again Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You should add more clinical volunteering experiences. This would include shadowing a doctor with direct patient contact.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree with clinical hours, but also make sure you do something you love. Nothing is more boring than a med student who checks all the boxes and doesn't do anything else. Everyone who gets an interview has those same items on their application. As competitive as medical school is, it's important to be passionate about something because it makes you stand out. (outdoor activity, sport, instrument, art, writing, gourmet baking, etc...) It helps to have something to talk about during interviews that makes you memorable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DAMN bro, you hard. Sound like your on track.. Don't overdo it and risk your gpa. Other than that, your already a better applicant than me :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Increase clinical experience. I'm currently a sophomore and have to be exact 204 hours.. lol not much but getting it up there

I also forgot to mention that I have 5 hours shadowing a cardiologist. What would be some good clinical experience? Could you guys give me some ideas? I'm sorry, I don't wanna sound lazy, but honestly I'll take any advice you guys can give me, but please just shoot some ideas. Like, an example of some clinical experience/something to involve more clinical experience/ an organization that could provide more clinical experience(unless you mean pure shadowing). Alrighty, thank you guys so much!