About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Extracurricular Grade?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by nabilesmail, Apr 30, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. nabilesmail

nabilesmail

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys, so I participated in a program called JEP at my school. Pretty much what you do is take a class at my school and enroll in a "service learning project" and teach that material at a more elementary level to neighboring primary schools (usually they are underserved) because they are in Los Angeles.

A lot of the times teachers will offer a small amount of "extra credit" for completing the program. The program is 8 weeks long and varies depending on what you do. I did this program twice, once during Fall Semester and once this last spring. During Fall I taught an 8 week course to 5th graders on chemistry along with 3 other students. It consisted of 1 hour a week lesson planning (activities, subject, quizzes) , 1 hour a week teaching at the school, and writing a 1-3 page essay per week reflecting on the study or discussing problems in education,environment, and strategies to increase learning. We are graded liberally on the essays, attendance, and community evaluation. I did this project during Fall and received an A in the JEP grade (it does not count for credit, but usually teachers give extra credit if you passed the course).

This experience was extremely rewarding and I really enjoyed it. So much that I wanted to do it in the spring semester. The problem was that none of my classes were offering extra credit for JEP (not a problem at all) and therefore JEP does not allow you to participate in this kind of teaching. I was, however, able to land a Math Mentor position which was really awesome. The only dilemma was that I would be studying for my mcat+ full course load+ research+ all other activities. I had the busiest schedule I've ever had but still wanted to do this gig. I decided the most important aspect of this project would be teaching and tutoring the kids. So I decided to do it. The project was 8 weeks long and 2 hours a week on two different days. I would pretty much take handfuls of students at a time and teach them math and we all grew a nice bond. The thing is I didn't have time to complete the essays at all and despite full attendance + an A+ community evaluation I received a D in the project. Once again this does not go into my GPA or anything but when I write these experiences down in my Application this June I don't know how to go about this. If they call the reference all Jep will be able to say is "He got an A on his first project, and a D on his second'.

What should I do, do I explain this in the application? I did get a reference number from the teacher but don't know how sketchy it is to provide JEP reference for project 1 and Teacher reference for Project 2. And what JEP will say according to their records if a med school does decide to call.

Thanks for all the help!
  2. nabilesmail

nabilesmail

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you, but how should I go about this on my applciation?
  3. nabilesmail

nabilesmail

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ahh I really do want to put down both activities in my EC list. They were both very meaningful to me and my application will not be as strong without it. :/
  4. nabilesmail

nabilesmail

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Alrighty :] Thanks!

Any other advice?

Do you guys think these EC's will be okay for mid to top schools with a mcat/gpa in their range. Or should I not even both applying (to top schools) ? 3.7ish gpa/sgpa projected MCAT 37. Top 25 school.

-Math Mentor 8 weeks- teaching under served children 2 hrs/week

-Chemistry Teacher for 5 th grade class- also under served 2 hrs/week 8 weeks

-Hospice Volunteering about 130-150 hours by the time I apply Mid June (I have 80 now)

- Physician Shadowing - 30 hours with an Internal Medicine doctor, I was also accepted into a program that is 5 days long and 9-10 hours each day. I will be shadowing a variety of doctors in the pediatric field at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. This will add another 40-45 hours giving 70-75 total.

-Research 1 year (Does August to June count as a year :p?) in a lab dealing with heavy metal carcinogens (I'm also heavily considering Oncology). I didn't have a creative role, but I also didn't clean or make media. I usually helped prepare cell lines, counted cell colonies, did my own "plating efficiencies" and maintained my own cell line.

-Intermeural Football Fall 2011
    -Intermeural Softball Spring 2012

-Physics tutor 6 hrs/ every 2 weeks in Fall for 1 quarterish.

-Gym Rat for 4-5 years. I don't have a GREAT body but I'm proud of my accomplishment. I use to be 5 ft 7 100 lbs, got to 5 ft 7 165 lbs. I use to carry a gallon of milk with me everywhere hahaa. 5k calories/day

- My girlfriend and I collected about 500 cans of food to donate

- I can play and read drum music (5 yrs-though I don't practice much anymore). I can play about 15-20 chords on the guitar (4 years) (So I'm not that good but I can somewhat play :p). And I like to go on youtube and learn how to play piano
    (4 years) songs through memorizing (I can't read the music, But I'm taking a Piano class next semester for credit woot!)

How I do :p?
  5. nabilesmail

nabilesmail

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ahh its too late now since im applying in june, but all the stuff i mentioned is for the research. Like i counted cell colonies after they were treated with carcinogens so we could graph survival rates vs dose. I also helped changed media for the cytotoxicities which could be 100 dishes and more. Ill be starting to help on my own cytotox after i apply. Im more of a senior member in my lab i guess. I think by the time im in an interview ill have some of my own projects :)