Extracurricular question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbarilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am worried I do not have enough extra curriculars since I have low gpa/ high mcat
Here they are

Multiple summer employment
Amsa
Pre health honor society
Biology honor society
Criminology honor society
Sociology honor society
Criminology/sociology club

Helped start first of its kind university sanctioned motorcycle club at my college

400 hours volunteering over 3 years as patient transporter hospital

50+ hours community service local church

10 events through my clubs that involved community service
Beach cleanup, relay for life, etc

Florida breast health initiative volunteering

Worked as pharmacy technician past 7 months

Helped do billing for dads private business past 8 years

Here's where I am nervous :

Shadowing : 12 hours with pediatric surgeon in OR

Currently shadowing at oncology office, shadowing PAs MDs and nurses.get to work along side all. Will have 50-100 hours when done . At least I can say I experienced all the fields

No research :(

Do you think this will be enough when applying

I have been out of school a year working full time. Worried time is running out. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just the starting the club from scratch. Me and my friend were the leaders until I graduated

I was team captain of one my jobs but probably won't count

Unless tutoring is leadership. Forgot to list I did tutoring

Well, how low is a low GPA? Honestly I would put the team captain down for leadership. Your ECs are fairly solid but the leadership might cause you problems. However, the shadowing part is definitely good, considering you shadowed multiple areas.

3.23. Had a horrible freshman year. Turned around did two bachelors my last 117 credits were 3.8 including 78 credits science. MCAT 35R 14/10/11

Your extracurricular activities don't look bad. Just make sure to get in as many shadowing hours as possible before you submit your AMCAS. I hope you were still volunteering while working this past year. Research is nice, but won't really make or break you (unless you did it in something very unique/you're aiming for research heavy schools). Good job on your upward GPA trend and great MCAT score! It's also a good thing that you were involved in the same activities for longer than just a few months. Apply early to maximize your chances of success. It helps to mention hobbies that you spend a lot of time on and are very passionate about in your application as well.