Extremely disadvantaged residency applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangerousmind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not matched many times. I am considering to quit my tech job and to do full time research at a prestigious professor's lab for 1-2 years. In the meantime, I want to get a DO degree to use it as a connection to DO residencies. Which one will be better choice? Please kindly advise. Thank you! Meanwhile, I can apply to those states without attempts and year limits. Is my dream to complete physicians' residency in the U.S. still accomplishable?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not matched many times. I am considering to quit my tech job and to do full time research at a prestigious professor's lab for 1-2 years. In the meantime, I want to get a DO degree to use it as a connection to DO residencies. Which one will be better choice? Please kindly advise. Thank you! Meanwhile, I can apply to those states without attempts and year limits. Is my dream to complete physicians' residency in the U.S. still accomplishable?

No offense, but improving your English is essential. It's unlikely that you could get into a DO school if you can't get into residency. It's easier to get into residency than medical school in the US. Most med schools in the US only accept US citizens or green card holders.

I think looking into allied health career might be a better option in your case.

are you checking for family med/psych/ped residencies that had open spaces and applying to them?
did you go to a carribean "big 4", other carribean, or other country medical school?

Can you still apply to med schools if you're already a physician?

My understanding is one cannot apply to allo if already a physician, but one can apply to osteo.

Still is not common at all, and is likely on a case by case basis and only at some DO schools.

Also doesn't sound like the OP understands that getting a DO degree would be a four year, full time effort.

Still is not common at all, and is likely on a case by case basis and only at some DO schools.

Also doesn't sound like the OP understands that getting a DO degree would be a four year, full time effort.

Not common but can be done at DO schools yep. I even met someone on the Iv trail who was a doctor in their native country and was doing DO school here.

Not common but can be done at DO schools yep. I even met someone on the Iv trail who was a doctor in their native country and was doing DO school here.
Of course, no DO school will take you without 90 credits worth of undergrad in the US or Canada, so that's a pretty long haul...

Are any of those fifth pathway programs still open?

What about that émigré program at NYCOM. Could s/he qualify for that?

Reactions: 1 users

NYCOM has a program for just this kind of thing. The OP could most certainly apply to a program like that and become a DO, opening the door to more residency options and giving him/her recent clinical experiences, letters of recommendation, and board scores. Also, there is nothing atrocious about the English the OP used. Yes, it's obvious English isn't the first language, but it's far from illiterate or even inadequate.

OP, I would definitely apply to DO schools. You should contact someone at NYCOM for advice on how to go about the application process since your pre-reqs are likely several years old as is your MCAT score, if you ever took it.