Extremely positive interviewers -- misleading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allre

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for your interviewers to be extremely positive about you ("I'd love to see you here, you'd be a great addition to our school, when you come here next fall", etc.) and then have that turn into a rejection or a WL? (Especially if the interviewer's opinion matters a lot.) Is it common to be effusive about every applicant? Or can you accurately gauge anything from the interviewer's responses?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually it's an interviewer's job to make the interviewee feel comfortable. If you felt good, then they did a good job. On the other hand, I'm sure interviewers aren't also supposed to give any hints on your eventual status since they are not the sole decision making entity on the committee.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
How common is it for your interviewers to be extremely positive about you ("I'd love to see you here, you'd be a great addition to our school, when you come here next fall", etc.) and then have that turn into a rejection or a WL? (Especially if the interviewer's opinion matters a lot.) Is it common to be effusive about every applicant? Or can you accurately gauge anything from the interviewer's responses?
Interviewers are also recruiters. You cannot gauge success from their behavior. They have been instructed to be positive. It's nice that you came away with a warm feeling. Still, they should also have been instructed not to give a prognosis for the outcome.
I find that physician interviewers have a particularly hard time with this instruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually it's an interviewer's job to make the interviewee feel comfortable. If you felt good, then they did a good job. On the other hand, I'm sure interviewers aren't also supposed to give any hints on your eventual status since they are not the sole decision making entity on the committee.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Interviewers are also recruiters. You cannot gauge success from their behavior. They have been instructed to be positive. It's nice that you came away with a positive feeling. Still, they should also have been instructed not to give a prognosis for the outcome.
I find that physician interviewers have a particularly hard time with this instruction.

Aww, that's what I thought. :confused: Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same thinking/question. I just had my first interview last week and while I think it went well I was told around 3 separate times during my faculty interview "wow your letters are great and your a excellent applicant on paper. I'm sure you will get in here and you will have lots of other offers from different schools". I guess its a good thing?

I don't know about 'misleading'--the interviewer could genuinely mean what he's saying. Both of my traditional interviews so far have had comments similar to what you've described. It's important to remember that while the interviewer might have loved you, that's only one aspect the entire committee will weigh in making their decision.

I've heard of people who had great interviews that got waitlisted, and I've head of people with so-so interviews that got accepted. Because of this I believe the best indicator is the final committee decision that will arrive after 10/15 :D

We're so close to the finish line. Let's just muscle through it a little longer :)

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know about 'misleading'--the interviewer could genuinely mean what he's saying. Both of my traditional interviews so far have had comments similar to what you've described. It's important to remember that while the interviewer might have loved you, that's only one aspect the entire committee will weigh in making their decision.
This is basically what I was going to say. Your interviewer might think you're a shoo-in, but your interviewer isn't the one deciding (or at least s/he isn't the only one deciding).

Interviewer could be nice in person but harsh in their evaluations.
Interviewer could be glowing in their evaluations but that may be insufficient for admission.

They're being polite. We're specifically told by our wily old Admissions dean NOT to get people's hope up.

I think it's best to approach this process as if you're not getting in anywhere.

They're being polite. We're specifically told by our wily old Admissions dean NOT to get people's hope up.

I think it's best to approach this process as if you're not getting in anywhere.

This.

We're specifically told by our wily old Admissions dean NOT to get people's hope up.

Aww, shucks. Well, they sure failed at that. :dead: I didn't get this impression from my first interview -- it was a lot more neutral -- so I guess it was surprising to me.

honestly I don't even understand much of the point of the medical school interview... it all seems like luck of the draw if your interviewer likes you and you can click with them or not... none of my interview experiences have been anything like I was expecting. I was expecting more of a "job interview" type of deal.

At one school, I had a delightful conversation with the first interviewer who told me I will make a wonderful physician and will surely get in and about all the things in the city I will have to go see and do... then I walked right into the room next door and the 2nd interviewer drilled me with condescending attacks on my religion - saying certain actions/beliefs are impractical, family- saying my fiance wouldn't fit into such a diverse city, and involvement with certain organizations and research saying I wouldn't ever fit in at their school... complete 180 of good cop/bad cop.. I actually feel I should report that interview :sendoff: but don't want to bring negative attention to my app right before decision time... bleh

So yeah, it all depends on who you interview with... which is straight luck of the draw. I guess we can just do our best and push for that 1 place that we are meant to be at. I feel the only weight the interview should carry is "Is this person a normal human being and not a psychopath?" "Can I interact with this person for 30 mins without wanting to shoot myself?" "Can I see this person being a doctor someday?" and that's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe when you start doing some of these yourself, you'll see why we do them.

Can this person think on their feet?
Can this person display grace under pressure?
Who IS this person?
What does this person think about X?
Is this immature, given his/her age is (21, 22, 23, 24?)
What motivates this person?
Why on earth did this person do X?
Would I let this person touch my children?
Do I want him/her as a colleague (something my student interviewers take VERY seriously)
Can I see this person wearing the white coat?
Would I let this do a vaginal exam on my wife?...a prostate exam on my father-in-law?
Is this person a good fit for our school?
Can this person handle our curriculum?
Can this person speak intelligible English?
Is this person a good listener? (You'd be surprised how many people say B, when you ask them about A)
Can this person deal with hypotheticals?
Can this person who comes from a patriarchal background relate to women's issues? Gay person's issues? People from different cultures?
Can this person from far away handle being here, with no support group?
How does this person deal with a question that has no right or wrong answer?
Does this person have empathy?

And there's there's more, but I'm tapped out right now.

So yeah, it all depends on who you interview with... which is straight luck of the draw. I guess we can just do our best and push for that 1 place that we are meant to be at. I feel the only weight the interview should carry is "Is this person a normal human being and not a psychopath?" "Can I interact with this person for 30 mins without wanting to shoot myself?" "Can I see this person being a doctor someday?" and that's about it.

Reactions: 5 users
honestly I don't even understand much of the point of the medical school interview... it all seems like luck of the draw if your interviewer likes you and you can click with them or not... none of my interview experiences have been anything like I was expecting. I was expecting more of a "job interview" type of deal.

At one school, I had a delightful conversation with the first interviewer who told me I will make a wonderful physician and will surely get in and about all the things in the city I will have to go see and do... then I walked right into the room next door and the 2nd interviewer drilled me with condescending attacks on my religion - saying certain actions/beliefs are impractical, family- saying my fiance wouldn't fit into such a diverse city, and involvement with certain organizations and research saying I wouldn't ever fit in at their school... complete 180 of good cop/bad cop.. I actually feel I should report that interview :sendoff: but don't want to bring negative attention to my app right before decision time... bleh

I agree with @Goro below. Work colleagues have a much lesser burden of community than med students/faculty have with each other. That's why you're not going to get a job interview kind of experience. A med school interview isn't about making sure you're not a sociopath. It's about ALL the factors @Goro mentioned and more. You have to remember that you (or I, or anyone really) deserve NOTHING in this process. Approach with humility.

Reactions: 3 users
During the wrap-up portion, my interviewer said "I think you're a really strong applicant and that you'll get in here and at other schools." Definitely felt good to hear but I was also mentally screaming, "GAHHH YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THINGS LIKE THAT UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY MEAN IT!! CAN YOU GIVE THAT TO ME IN WRITING, PLEASE."

Of course he might actually mean what he said, but I'm definitely forcing myself to take it with a grain (several grains, really) of salt because there's no way I can know how much say he actually will have in the decision process. 'Tis a long and agonizing wait until January...

During the wrap-up portion, my interviewer said "I think you're a really strong applicant and that you'll get in here and at other schools." Definitely felt good to hear but I was also mentally screaming, "GAHHH YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THINGS LIKE THAT UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY MEAN IT!! CAN YOU GIVE THAT TO ME IN WRITING, PLEASE."

Of course he might actually mean what he said, but I'm definitely forcing myself to take it with a grain (several grains, really) of salt because there's no way I can know how much say he actually will have in the decision process. 'Tis a long and agonizing wait until January...

I've heard that...but who knows how many other candidates have heard that too. I actually have been writing down my feelings after each interview so I can compare outcomes later on.

If this is true you really should have reported your interviewer. Interviews can be stressful but should not include personal attacks...

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe when you start doing some of these yourself, you'll see why we do them.

Can this person think on their feet?
Can this person display grace under pressure?
Who IS this person?
What does this person think about X?
Is this immature, given his/her age is (21, 22, 23, 24?)
What motivates this person?
Why on earth did this person do X?
Would I let this person touch my children?
Do I want him/her as a colleague (something my student interviewers take VERY seriously)
Can I see this person wearing the white coat?
Would I let this do a vaginal exam on my wife?...a prostate exam on my father-in-law?
Is this person a good fit for our school?
Can this person handle our curriculum?
Can this person speak intelligible English?
Is this person a good listener? (You'd be surprised how many people say B, when you ask them about A)
Can this person deal with hypotheticals?
Can this person who comes from a patriarchal background relate to women's issues? Gay person's issues? People from different cultures?
Can this person from far away handle being here, with no support group?
Does this person have empathy?

And there's there's more, but I'm tapped out right now.

Most of your questions are just specifics and digging at those three basic questions...

A) Is this person normal?
B) Do I like this person?
C) Can I see them as a doctor someday?
D) refer to application (secondary essays, essays, gpa/mcat, experiences)

Can this person think on their feet? C,D
Can this person display grace under pressure? C,D (I was asked in an interview about a time I performed a task under pressure)
Who IS this person? D
What does this person think about X? A,B
Is this immature, given his/her age is (21, 22, 23, 24?) A,B
What motivates this person? D
Why on earth did this person do X? A,D
Would I let this person touch my children? C
Do I want him/her as a colleague (something my student interviewers take VERY seriously) A,B,C
Can I see this person wearing the white coat? C
Would I let this do a vaginal exam on my wife?...a prostate exam on my father-in-law? C
Is this person a good fit for our school? B
Can this person handle our curriculum? D
Can this person speak intelligible English? A,C (I had one interviewer who I could barely understand)
Is this person a good listener? (You'd be surprised how many people say B, when you ask them about A) C
Can this person deal with hypotheticals? nothing for this one... I have been asked the "what if you don't get in.."
Can this person who comes from a patriarchal background relate to women's issues? Gay person's issues? People from different cultures? A,C,D
Can this person from far away handle being here, with no support group? D
Does this person have empathy? D

I was expecting to be asked a lot more questions such as hypotheticals, no right or wrong answer, think on your feet, etc. probably just from SDN. Pretty much all of my interviews have been... so you did experience x... that's cool how was it, what did you like about it and learn from it... then talk about the city and surroundings, things to do and such... faculty just trying to pass the time.. other applicants I've talked to on the trail felt the same way... expecting some intense interview when it is just a chat to see if you're normal... maybe things will be different at the schools I have left

I agree with @Goro below. Work colleagues have a much lesser burden of community than med students/faculty have with each other. That's why you're not going to get a job interview kind of experience. A med school interview isn't about making sure you're not a sociopath. It's about ALL the factors @Goro mentioned and more. You have to remember that you (or I, or anyone really) deserve NOTHING in this process. Approach with humility.

then wouldn't the med school interview be much more intense? My point is interviews seem useless because they don't seem to go into much depth at all compared to a job interview. I'm almost complaining that interviews are too laid back :rofl:and I walk out thinking, "my future career depends on that?"

It definitely will depend upon the school. I seen some schools that just ask the bare basic (Why us? Why Medicine? Where will you be in ten years?) and others that ask really good questions. Those, I steal from.

I guess you've been very fortunate.

then wouldn't the med school interview be much more intense? My point is interviews seem useless because they don't seem to go into much depth at all compared to a job interview. I'm almost complaining that interviews are too laid back :rofl:and I walk out thinking, "my future career depends on that?"

It definitely will depend upon the school. I seen some schools that just ask the bare basic (Why us? Why Medicine? Where will you be in ten years?) and others that ask really good questions. Those, I steal from.

I guess you've been very fortunate.

Then how are schools supposed to separate between applicants if all questions are basically just a surface level evaluation of the primary (in his case, I mean, not all)?

Haven't a clue!
Fair enough.

On a different note, a clerical error sent me to the wrong building for my faculty interview recently. I lost a good third of my allotted time running around campus trying to find my way. On the bright side, all nerves were knocked right out of me and I hit the ground running with my interviewer (who was apologizing profusely for the mistake). I'd like to think there has to be a silver lining to this :D

Concur. I would encourage all of you to have some faith in yourselves, despite this being an anxiety-ridden process.

Fair enough.

On a different note, a clerical error sent me to the wrong building for my faculty interview recently. I lost a good third of my allotted time running around campus trying to find my way. On the bright side, all nerves were knocked right out of me and I hit the ground running with my interviewer (who was apologizing profusely for the mistake). I'd like to think there has to be a silver lining to this :D

Reactions: 3 users

Just wait until the full court press: residency interviews!

I just want to chime in and say that all of my interviews have been low-stress and conversational, and I am not complaining one bit. I'd rather have an easy interview than a difficult one. My interviews weren't superficial either. I had to dig deep inside my psyche for some of my answers lol.