eyes care, on call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andie gustafson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I got to med school I can barely sleep and my eyes are suffering, they turn red and I can barely keep them opened cause I feel burn I guess it's due to fatigue I know they're perfectly healthy but not sleeping kills them, how do u take care of your eyes when on calls and study nights?

Members don't see this ad.

Ben Stein would tell you to use clear eyes.
This isn't the greatest place to get medical advice though.

I personally need a quick 5 minute cat nap to clear my eyes. Short of that, keep them lubricated with the most mild eye drops you can find.

...such as artificial tears

Members don't see this ad :)
If you need "study nights" during 3rd year (or any other year for that matter), you probably aren't budgeting your time properly. There are plenty of down hours in a day to do well on any shelf without sacrificing your health.

Agree with finding the most "natural" lubricating eye drops OTC...

Also, not necessarily for the redness but for a nice eye/face refresher, soaking a small bath washcloth (if available i.e. doc's lounge,) or a soft paper towel with warm water helps! You can bring one yourself if there's none available or are "clean."

You can get a whole stack of washcloths real cheap i.e. dollar store - after they pile up, toss them with your laundry.

Make sure to use a fresh one each time/day to prevent anything else from growing on it to come in contact with your eye and make things worse! :D

They use to do the "whole warm towel" thing on planes (at least on economy) - what the heck happened? :rolleyes:

An eye gel and night works wonders! Better than drops. Any brand will do.

DryEyeZone :: Consumer guide to artificial tears, gels, ointments ...
symres:sb_safeannotation.png

Putting a gel in both eyes and covering the eyes with an eye guard or plastic may be a useful way to keep the eyes lubricated at night

"Eyes care"?

Major FOBism.