F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what people's thoughts on this school were. I can't seem to find much information other than their website....which is pretty generic anyway. I know it is military and you have to serve out however much time...but it still doesn't sound like a bad deal since once you factor in the no debt, and still getting paid afterwards (albeit it less than a regular resident) you still seem to come up on top...that and great health insurance, and other benefits. I talked to a radiology resident in the airforce a few years ago and he seemed to enjoy a lot...they converted to digital before many private hospitals I've been in did. I was just curious on what all off your thoughts are..I understand the military is not for everyone but with an uncle that is a col. , a cousin that is an officer, and my dad being an ex-major/doctor it just seems like something considering.

Members don't see this ad.

you can also get the navy/army/airforce to pay for your education at any medical school and you will then serve the number of years they provide tuition for (after you are done your residency which can be done within the armed forces or at any other residency program).

Members don't see this ad :)
forevalwayzz said:
go for airforce.

I interviewed at USUHS this year and was wait listed. From what I could see, it would be an awesome opportunity....for someone who has truly weighed the cost of being a military physician. As someone previously posted, you can do a Health Profession Scholarship (HPSP) at any accredited US allopathic or osteopathic school you are accepted to. They will pay full tuition/fees and provide a stipend. Also, it is only year for year payback, so if you accept the scholarship for four years you only pay back four years. At USUHS, the minimum payback (AFTER residency) is 7 years. So do the math:

4 years med school+
3-7 years residency+
7 year payback

=14 - 18 years of your life in mandatory military service

Now, I'm all for it if you really want the life, but don't do it on a whim! Remember, the "needs of the organization" always come before your own desires. That means if you really want Air Force, but they need you in the Navy guess where you go-either into the Navy or you find another school. This is much more important when it comes to residency selection. I advise you to go to the "Military Medicine" forum. There are entire threads about USUHS and its pros and cons. You can hear many varying views from people who know more about it all than me.

Of course, DC is an awesome city, Bethesda was very nice, and you CANNOT beat the financial deal. So good luck making a good choice.

GAdoc said:
I interviewed at USUHS this year and was wait listed. From what I could see, it would be an awesome opportunity....for someone who has truly weighed the cost of being a military physician.

Of course, DC is an awesome city, Bethesda was very nice, and you CANNOT beat the financial deal. So good luck making a good choice.

So have you heard back from them in regards to your spot on the waitlist?

What did you decide to do?

It is a totally great deal, and if I was heterosexualer I would have totally gone for it. In addition to NO tuition, you actually get a PAYCHECK to go to school.

jsnuka said:
So have you heard back from them in regards to your spot on the waitlist?

What did you decide to do?

A few years ago I had I was diagnosed with hereditary high cholesterol. So DODMERB disqualified me after it considered my past medical files. USUHS told me I could apply for an appeal, but I decided not to. It was a great school and I would've loved every second of it...but my wife probably would've had a different experience. Its a route I'd encourage anyone to do so long as they were realistic about it. It is a lifestyle commitment...not just an education.

I personally put Army as my branch preference. I did this because the Army seems to have the widest variety of residencies...not to mention they pull the heaviest from the wait-list! But oh well. There are some great resources on SDN for those of you considering USUHS. If anyone has question, pm me. I'll do my best to answer. By the way, it doesn't take great stats to be considered by USUHS. I'll be happy to tell anyone mine if you want to pm me.

COOL MEDICAL SCHOOL! USUHS is a cool school you should seriously consider going there. I would have gone there (went through both rounds of applications, but cancelled the interview) except that it is cold in Maryland (Im from SC so leave me alone lol) and I was accepted at my state school which was my number one choice for personal reasons!
If you don't have a problem with joining the military then you should definitely look at this school. What's most important is that because of the USMLEs any medical school you go to that is accredited has to be good, so whether you go there, a state school, or an ivy league school, you can be assured that you are going to get a good medical education.

Good luck!

CMismo :cool:

If you just wants to go into private practice in almost any field you lose money in the long run with either payback or time spent on another degree. Do it it you want to not for the free school and stipend.

I don't know how to PM here yet, but I do have questions about the stats thing you mentioned.

I am applying for the class entering in 2007.

jjmack said:
If you just wants to go into private practice in almost any field you lose money in the long run with either payback or time spent on another degree. Do it it you want to not for the free school and stipend.
This depends on your specialty. If you want to go into family practice or peds or something like that, there may be no net loss of lifetime income. Still worth running a few numbers carefully because there certainly ARE situations where jjmack is right.

USU is not just a medical school. It is the MILITARY's medical school. Go there if you want to be a military physician. Go there if you are okay with paying back 10-15 years for a 4 year salary and free medical school. Even after you crunch the numbers crunch the fact that you are in the military with all the lack of freedom that entails.

The "cool" comment and others like it sound immature and I would venture to guess these people lack any idea of what the commitment truly entails. While it's a great oppurtunity for those who want to be in the military or have some family need to have an income during school....USU is not for the faint of heart nor for those who have romantic notions of what service in the military is all about. It's a long term commitment for a short sighted problem.

If USU is for you then great. If you take it for the money you are making a mistake and will have 10-15 years to be reminded of that fact.

Croooz said:
USU is not just a medical school. It is the MILITARY's medical school. Go there if you want to be a military physician. Go there if you are okay with paying back 10-15 years for a 4 year salary and free medical school. Even after you crunch the numbers crunch the fact that you are in the military with all the lack of freedom that entails.

The "cool" comment and others like it sound immature and I would venture to guess these people lack any idea of what the commitment truly entails. While it's a great oppurtunity for those who want to be in the military or have some family need to have an income during school....USU is not for the faint of heart nor for those who have romantic notions of what service in the military is all about. It's a long term commitment for a short sighted problem.

If USU is for you then great. If you take it for the money you are making a mistake and will have 10-15 years to be reminded of that fact.

Did/are you having a bad experience there or something?

jsnuka said:
Did/are you having a bad experience there or something?
I apply next year and it is my top choice. I've worked with students from USU who undoubtedly had made the wrong decision. Unless you know you want the military then I would suggest looking elsewhere. It is a serious commitment to both parties involved.

I'm pro-USU for those who know what they're getting into and don't just think they know. Too many do not know and it's unfortunate for them because they are miserable for more than a decade.

10-15 years is a long time. Think of it this way. If you are going into EM then you are making a decision today that will affect you till 2020. Alot can happen during that time and you are banking on the illusion that you know what you will want in 14 years.

USU is great. Know what you're getting into. It's not just medical school.

Hmm,ok. I see. If you mean next year as in 2007, then maybe I will see you around. It is my top choice. Similar to you, I served in the Army for 8 years, the time commitment is not a problem for me. I see what you mean to say/do though. :)

Thanks for the replys. I was just curious what you thought. I have a year and a half before I really need to start deciding but I'll always leave it open. Granted that is a lot of time, and the more I read the more I found out that a lot of military physicians are very frustrated right now.