FA Biochem enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loca Dr. chica

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I used mostly FA for biochem and just annotated it using Kaplan biochem (i.e. not read Kaplan all the way through), should that be enough for the biochem questions? I plan to use the old edition HY for cell and molecular. I'm running out of time and I don't feel like spending 5 days on biochem like many others I know did. At the same time, want to know enough in case my form happens to have a lot of biochem on it.

Members don't see this ad.

If I used mostly FA for biochem and just annotated it using Kaplan biochem (i.e. not read Kaplan all the way through), should that be enough for the biochem questions? I plan to use the old edition HY for cell and molecular. I'm running out of time and I don't feel like spending 5 days on biochem like many others I know did. At the same time, want to know enough in case my form happens to have a lot of biochem on it.

ya..for my test is was mainly the key regulatory enzyme and what regulates them...FA is more than plenty!

ya..for my test is was mainly the key regulatory enzyme and what regulates them...FA is more than plenty!

Did you even think about asking anyone in the 3rd floor "west side" study posse?

I mean seriously, we are going to kick you out now for not consulting us or trusting our answers.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that FA was weak on vitamins, I had a bunch of questions on recognizing vitamin deficiencies from less-than-classic signs and symptoms.

Yes, Golijans HY notes make the FA vitamin section look like weak sauce.

You mentioned less then classic sx - will I get these via Golijan?

For example, something like papilladema in an eskimo via Vitamin A excess?

FA is decent for most of the biochemical pathways if you have supplemented with Kaplans biochem. The section they are terrible on are the vitamins as many have stated for which you should read the 8-9 pages that Goljan has in his book (maybe less in his PDF notes). The nutrition lecture is a little over an hour once you get past the basic kwash/maras and anorexia section.

yea his nutrition lecture is actually pretty good. i thought i knew the important stuff about vitamins until i listened to that lecture.

Do usmleWorld biochem questions and they will have you more than ready...If you read the explanations and understand the key concepts.

I pretty much did what you did (FA plus some Kaplan Biochem) and listened to Goljan's vitamin lectures/read about them in RR (his lecture is sufficient), and I was more than prepared for the exam's biochem stuff which really only asked basic questions covered in the beginning of the FA biochem stuff (insulin/glucagon, etc.) or that had to do with heme. Plus, for some reason, 5 qs just on fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies.