FA Biochem...Is that enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is first aid biochem enough for the Step?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on your retained level of knowledge from the course itself. I plan on tossing in Rapid Review Biochem through my fall semester as I study disease mechanisms. In the spring when I start hitting the board review study schedule, Ill annotate in FA from RR as needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about kaplan vs. RR? I've read through kaplan and really like it (I don't mind that it's long), but does it cover all the appropriate bases? Or is RR a better bet. Biochem is a weak point for me

I found it really helpful to break up the biochem chapter throughout my studying (ie 10-20 pages a week on top of whatever I studied that week) and then come back and review it all again. FA is definitely enough, but the chapter has a ton of info and sometimes does not read so well the first time around. By breaking it up, I was better able to integrate it with the other material which is very important. GOLJAN AUDIO really helped integrate material as well. Coming back to read it and turning back to relate it to the systems made it a breeze.

Biochem on my exam was sparse and very straightforward/predictable.

Limit the number of resources you use and you won't get overwhelmed.

would you guys recommend RR over lippincott?

I reviewed with lippincott over the last ~2 weeks of regular class (because I was so weak in biochem), then used RR during my actual studying. I found RR to be much, much better.