Facebook/MySpace Accts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesset01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I thought I'd give a heads up to everyone...I'm sure some of you have already heard about this, but for the rest of you....

I was talking to a friend of mine who is part of the grad school admissions office of a major US law school, and he said that last year his only job was to look up Facebook and MySpace accts for everyone that sent in an app and was being considered for an interview. Any pictures of "irresponsible, immature or illegal activities" were printed out and stapled to the application before it got sent to the admissions committee. Also anything suspicious that was a part of the profile was printed and attached. He was also often asked to look up the friends of the people on facebook or myspace and see what kind of people the applicant hung out with. It sounded really strange to me, but he said that what he found on those accts was a death sentence for a lot of people who wanted in.

Basically, his advice to me was to CANCEL THOSE ACCOUNTS! If you just don't want to do that I guess you could make your acct private or something, but I'm guessing that any school with the staff and time will probably be doing this. And even if they don't, the possibility is enough for me.

Hope this helps! :D

Members don't see this ad.

i heard that about hiring/big firms. maybe not on the optometry school level. sco has their own facebook group. :)

Actually, i was messaged through myspace once from a certain admissions officer from a school i won't mention. But she just wanted my opinion on whether the school should open a myspace to improve interactions w/ prospective students. I told her no by the way. Anyway, it's just to let you see that opt schools DO go through myspace/facebook etc. Good thing i don't post anything obscene. wheewww. But yeah, be aware of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought all of the accounts on facebook and myspace are privatized...so that people who want to be your friend have to email a request? I might e wrong tho

Just in case if some of you were wondering...I asked our Dean of Academic Affairs (Dr. Berman) during our discussion section and he said that SCCO does not check on Myspace accounts! :D It just so happened that our discussion was on a somewhat related topic.

But regardless, it's always a good idea to make your profile private!

I'm intrigued that this has happened, but arrive at a different conclusion than you. Namely - Keep your account open.

If a school has an active myspace search program, this is a school I do not want to be enrolled in.

I know some of you think "get into any school any way I can." Then obviously, deleting your account with one of those networking sites makes perfect sense to you.

The rest of us should be just as selective about our schools, as they are about us. You should hold them to a high standard too.