Facepalm interview moments 2016 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salemstein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one made in a while so here it is. I'll start with mine: When recently I interviewed for a school on the east coast, I had a student interviewer who seemed to be on a rush. He clearly did not want to be there. So at the end he said something like "if you don't have any questions thats fine because I have to go as well" wink wink. I stupidly did not take the hint and asked two questions, to which his body language immediately changed. Also I forgot to say "thank you" when he shook my hand to leave (he kinda did it really fast and dashed out of there). O well, guess I didnt get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Haven't seen one made in a while so here it is. I'll start with mine: When recently I interviewed for a school on the east coast, I had a student interviewer who seemed to be on a rush. He clearly did not want to be there. So at the end he said something like "if you don't have any questions thats fine because I have to go as well" wink wink. I stupidly did not take the hint and asked two questions, to which his body language immediately changed. Also I forgot to say "thank you" when he shook my hand to leave (he kinda did it really fast and dashed out of there). O well, guess I didnt get in.
He did a bad job representing the school as an interviewer. If he didn't want to be there he shouldn't have been there.

I don't think that would affect your chance to get in. What could he say? "My interviewee asks too many questions?"

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a guy with a padfolio handing out resumes to everyone that looked remotely like a staff member. Once someone made it clear they weren't on the committee he stopped speaking to them. It was pretty savage.

Reactions: 41 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Saw a guy with a padfolio handing out resumes to everyone that looked remotely like a staff member. Once someone made it clear they weren't on the committee he stopped speaking to them. It was pretty savage.

Sometimes I really think that a medical school interview is little more than making sure you aren't a total asshat and are able to hold a basic conversation.

Reactions: 17 users
Had an interviewer at LUCOM tell me god spoke to him and told him to become a faculty member at Liberty....

It took me all of my might to keep from rolling my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 16 users
Had an interviewer at LUCOM tell me god spoke to him and told him to become a faculty member at Liberty....

It took me all of my might to keep from rolling my eyes

I heard that's how Mormonism got its start.

Reactions: 12 users
Sometimes I really think that a medical school interview is little more than making sure you aren't a total asshat and are able to hold a basic conversation.

That's definitely a big part of it. They're imagining what it would be like to have to work with and around you... if you come off as insufferable or a pain in the ass, goodbye!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mock interview:

"What do you know about being a physician"

Me: "[well thought out answer but felt I needed to add something else at the end] .... and I know they have a lot of paperwork so that sucks but I guess I'll just have to deal with it"

WHYYY

Reactions: 7 users
Me drinking half of my interviewer's glass of water before she entered the room because I thought it was for me

Reactions: 174 users
Me drinking half of my interviewer's glass of water before she entered the room because I thought it was for me
Omg I just bust out laughing in the break room at work.

That's like.... Seinfeld quality of awkward

Reactions: 20 users
Mock interview:

"What do you know about being a physician"

Me: "[well thought out answer but felt I needed to add something else at the end] .... and I know they have a lot of paperwork so that sucks but I guess I'll just have to deal with it"

WHYYY

lol it's okay to know they profession isn't all rosebuds and bunny farts. I told my interviewers that I thought on call would suck, but it was part of the job. They said they were glad I was realistic with the job, and wasn't going into medical school expecting to make 250k while working less than 40 hours per week.

Members don't see this ad :)
And to think.... he may be one of our classmates.

Interviewer asked me how I'd been enjoying the interview season so far. I said it's been great, and then asked her "how about you?"

Reactions: 15 users
Interviewer asked me how I'd been enjoying the interview season so far. I said it's been great, and then asked her "how about you?"
I mean that's not TOO bad. They're going through it too so it seems reasonable to ask how they're enjoying meeting so many new folks.

Reactions: 3 users
After I made a powerful speech about how much I changed over the years (strong trend of improvement), I ended my interview on the statement: "if you put the 'me' from 4 years ago next to the person I am today.. you wouldn't even be able to tell us apart."

Confused? You should be.

Reactions: 49 users
That's some cringe worthy **** right there...

Reactions: 4 users
Raised my hand to ask a question during a presentation about curriculum or something and had a complete brain fart when they called on me and said "ummmm I forgot".... after about 30 seconds it came to me and I kinda just blurted it out.

Reactions: 11 users
Interviewer: How did you prepare for medical school?
Me: I took the MCAT.

Reactions: 33 users
Interviewer: How did you prepare for medical school?

"Well I've been aggressively and strategically neglecting my family and sleep schedule to simulate residency. I have an alarm set to my phone for every 2 hours to simulate on call. I get up and pretend to intubate my pillow, save it from coding or put on a central line. So far I have only lost 4 patients."

Reactions: 54 users
"Well I've been aggressively and strategically neglecting my family and sleep schedule to simulate residency. I have an alarm set to my phone for every 2 hours to simulate on call. I get up and pretend to intubate my pillow, save it from coding or put on a central line. So far I have only lost 4 patients."

Did you also manage to ignore a DNR?

Asked my interviewer about her medical practice, turns out she was a researcher (I should have checked the interview sheet I was given). :bang:

Was asked to tell about myself and got sidetracked and decided it was a great idea to talk about how many pets I had, all of their names, and how I like spending time with animals more than people :wtf:

Reactions: 38 users
At one of my recent interviews, the interviewer asked me if I think art makes someone a better doctor. I go on to say that it allows a person to express themselves and encourages outside the box thinking, which can correlate with patient care. All of a sudden, he cuts me off and with a serious face asks "why do you think football players can't be painters?" Being dumbfounded by the question, I blurt out, "some people work with their bodies and others work with their minds." I wish I could have taken a picture of his facial expression. It would be the new WTF meme. Needless to say, not my proudest moment.

Interviewing with the chair of anesthesiology at one of the top hospitals in the country, talking about surgical outcomes:

"You know, like, umm, there are a lot of factors that contribute to determining what a patient's outcome will be like - it's not just the skill of the surgeon. You have to also think about what sorts of comorbidities they have, you have to take into consideration the support staff.... anesthesia, nursing, pre-op and post-op care....

:smack::whistle:

Reactions: 11 users
I spent most of my time preparing for ethical dilemmas instead of reviewing my primary app or coming up with answers for simple questions like "Tell me about yourself or such-and-such activity," and this really came back to bite me when I was asked about my research. I hadn't done anything with my research in almost a year and couldn't remember a lot of the basic details about what my work entailed, so I couldn't really talk about what I did or found and I just sort of nervously rambled about it. To make matters worse, my interviewer was a professor who did research in the same field and on the exact same gene that I did. I'm still cringing about my answers to those simple questions and especially that question, and I keep worrying that I may have killed my chances at that school because of them. :(

Last edited:
Was dumbfounded to meet someone yesterday at his 7th interview wearing white Nike socks with a suit.

Reactions: 21 users
Was dumbfounded to meet someone yesterday at his 7th interview wearing white Nike socks with a suit.
Saw someone at my interview who apparently has no clue what a tie bar is for lol. Had it clipping the front and back of the tie together, but not to the shirt. His tie was just flapping all over the place.

Reactions: 21 users
He probably ran out of things to wear I don't blame him

Reactions: 5 users
I burst out laughing when my student interviewer told me what frat he was in (we went to the same university).

I wasn't trying to disrespect his frat or anything but I've had a lot of fun/weird memories associated with it. It's one of the cooler, more interesting frats at our school.

Last edited:
he was too busy getting IIs to care about plebeian fashion norms.

Reactions: 5 users
Saw someone at my interview who apparently has no clue what a tie bar is for lol. Had it clipping the front and back of the tie together, but not to the shirt. His tie was just flapping all over the place.

I did that at my second interview, I got up at like 5:30 so I could be dressed and on time. It was really awkward when another interviewer told me lol

Interviewer asked my opinion on the legalization of MJ. I went balls deep and spoke for at least 3 minutes about prohibition, military recruitment age, and drunk driving.
The response: Very passionate indeed. :oops:

Reactions: 6 users
He was wearing them for insurance, just in case the interviewer wanted to mess around and get dunked on.

He was wearing them for insurance, just in case the interviewer wanted to mess around and get dunked on.
1124f52ef253f3fe40225b65e6b94bd2721cfe35e1055fde2ba8f883aab961ec.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
You know the Game Center app on iPhone? Yeah, I never use it either, and didn't know it existed until my interview.

In the middle of the Dean's presentation about the school, for the first time ever, I get a notification from this stupid app and my phone rings, volume all the way up. Fantastic.

Reactions: 6 users
Not an interview, but as a scribe the other day:
During an appointment, physician explaining to patient that they have a newly discovered invasive lung cancer. Patient obviously very emotionally upset, crying the entire visit. Physician leaves the room for just a few seconds to retrieve some info on referral to oncologist, leaving only me and the patient.

Patient: "So how are you today?"

Me (solemnly): "Not too bad"... then out of habit "and how about you?" :bang::bang::bang:

You know the Game Center app on iPhone? Yeah, I never use it either, and didn't know it existed until my interview.

In the middle of the Dean's presentation about the school, for the first time ever, I get a notification from this stupid app and my phone rings, volume all the way up. Fantastic.
That's why I smash my phone with a hammer before every interview.

Reactions: 28 users

I'm in a group chat with about 10 people who decided to all start making fun of each other while I was mid-interview. Luckily my phone was on vibrate but still it was going off like every 30 seconds and super distracting. From now on it's going on do not disturb.

Airplane mode before entering the building, and keep it on airplane mode until you leave the building! IMO.

Reactions: 17 users
I spent most of my time preparing for ethical dilemmas instead of reviewing my primary app or coming up with answers for simple questions like "Tell me about yourself or such-and-such activity," and this really came back to bite me when I was asked about my research. I hadn't done anything with my research in almost a year and couldn't remember a lot of the basic details about what my work entailed, so I couldn't really talk about what I did or found and I just sort of nervously rambled about it. To make matters worse, my interviewer was a professor who did research in the same field and on the exact same gene that I did. I'm still cringing about my answers to those simple questions and especially that question, and I keep worrying that I may have killed my chances at that school because of them. :(

This happened to me at my last interview. She ended my rambling by telling me "it doesn't look like you know your research very well." Womp womp.

Reactions: 2 users
Airplane mode before entering the building, and keep it on airplane mode until you leave the building! IMO.

I always go airplane or just OFF.

i only communicate via smoke signals.I just extinguish my kindling and drape my blanket over my shoulders before walking in. I think it adds a nice smokey scent during interviews.

Reactions: 14 users