Facepalm interview moments 2016 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OH MAN COULD I CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD... but they happened in MMI so I can't :bigtears::bigtears:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
i only communicate via smoke signals.I just extinguish my kindling and drape my blanket over my shoulders before walking in. I think it adds a nice smokey scent during interviews.
We actually had a guy show up in a serape once...

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna add another: Didn't happen to me, but right after one of my recent interviews one of the interviewees blurted that he was trying to find his interviewer on FB. I guess the crowd that day was especially cut-throat or something, because NO ONE said anything to him. After 20 seconds of him fumbling through his phone I couldn't stand it anymore. I just had to tell him. A couple people looked at me probably wondering why I had done that. CMON PEOPLE lets help a poor soul out. Are you really gonna try and improve your odds by 0.1%? The premed mentality sickens me sometimes.

Gonna add another: Didn't happen to me, but right after one of my recent interviews one of the interviewees blurted that he was trying to find his interviewer on FB. I guess the crowd that day was especially cut-throat or something, because NO ONE said anything to him. After 20 seconds of him fumbling through his phone I couldn't stand it anymore. I just had to tell him. A couple people looked at me probably wondering why I had done that. CMON PEOPLE lets help a poor soul out. Are you really gonna try and improve your odds by 0.1%? The premed mentality sickens me sometimes.

Tell him what?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 16 users
The premed mentality sickens me sometimes.

One of the reasons I switched to pre-dent. People here actually look out for each other and are chill/relaxed.

Reactions: 1 user
I've said it before and I'll say it again, there was a dude at my USF interview who wore a wooden Bow Tie.

I told the dean that I was a big fan of the PBR culture at the school (as opposed to pbl).

I had a very unrealistic MMI about organ transplantation, a field I've worked in for years. Interviewer kept trying to give me hints like "but what if you were in ... situation", but I was amped up on 3 cups of coffee and instead spent the whole time explaining the intricacies of organ allocation and why the question was so stupid.

This one wasn't me, but when I asked the faculty interviewer why SHE had chosen to work at X school, she said it had been a mistake and that she was very unhappy there. She spent the whole interview talking about how great her previous job was...

One guys fun fact during intros was that he'd graduated first in his major. As if that wasn't already super weird, when the dean asked how many people were in his program, he admitted that he was actually the only one...

Reactions: 19 users
I've said it before and I'll say it again, there was a dude at my USF interview who wore a wooden Bow Tie.

I told the dean that I was a big fan of the PBR culture at the school (as opposed to pbl).

I had a very unrealistic MMI about organ transplantation, a field I've worked in for years. Interviewer kept trying to give me hints like "but what if you were in ... situation", but I was amped up on 3 cups of coffee and instead spent the whole time explaining the intricacies of organ allocation and why the question was so stupid.

This one wasn't me, but when I asked the faculty interviewer why SHE had chosen to work at X school, she said it had been a mistake and that she was very unhappy there. She spent the whole interview talking about how great her previous job was...

One guys fun fact during intros was that he'd graduated first in his major. As if that wasn't already super weird, when the dean asked how many people were in his program, he admitted that he was actually the only one...

I'm terrible at coming up with an interesting fact about myself. I'm always worried I'll sound full of myself.

Had an interviewer at LUCOM tell me god spoke to him and told him to become a faculty member at Liberty....

It took me all of my might to keep from rolling my eyes

That professor needs to read Hebrews 1:1-2...

"1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

If he claims that God audibly spoke to him, then he is technically claiming to be a prophet, since scripture says that God speaks through his word (aka Christ).

Good job keeping your cool, I hope that I could do the same in a similar situation.

One guy showed up without a suit. Just pants, shirt, tie...

Reactions: 4 users
One of the reasons I switched to pre-dent. People here actually look out for each other and are chill/relaxed.
Hm, my whole med class looos out for each other and is chill/relaxed. Maybe you switched for the wrong reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, my whole med class looos out for each other and is chill/relaxed. Maybe you switched for the wrong reason?

Thanks for your concern, but like I said in my post, it's "One of the reasons I switched"- not the only reason.

That professor needs to read Hebrews 1:1-2...

"1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

If he claims that God audibly spoke to him, then he is technically claiming to be a prophet, since scripture says that God speaks through his word (aka Christ).

Good job keeping your cool, I hope that I could do the same in a similar situation.

I think you guys might be taking him too literally. God speaks to me all the time. That doesn't mean I am hearing voices. God told me to marry my wife, but it wasn't like I heard a voice say, "Hey! Marry this woman!" But he still spoke to me.

You've never heard the phrase, "That piece [of art/music/literature/etc] really spoke to me?" It's not literal.

Course if he did mean it literally (and I doubt he did), then he is cray cray.

Reactions: 14 users
One of my interviewers suggested I read a specific book so I wrote down the author and title. When I looked it up, it was about how to have appropriate body language for important events in life... Fail.

Reactions: 75 users
One of my interviewers suggested I read a specific book so I wrote down the author and title. When I looked it up, it was about how to have appropriate body language for important events in life... Fail.
Well atleast he liked you enough to give you a hint so you could learn for the future!

Reactions: 2 users
Haha solid 9/10 troll on that interviewers part

Reactions: 12 users
In my defense, it was a teleconference so I didn't know where to look lol! I was probably cross-eyed the whole time. I'm still mortified by it.

In my defense, it was a teleconference so I didn't know where to look lol! I was probably cross-eyed the whole time. I'm still mortified by it.
That is some next level bad body language if it came across over teleconference.

Reactions: 7 users
I think you guys might be taking him too literally. God speaks to me all the time. That doesn't mean I am hearing voices. God told me to marry my wife, but it wasn't like I heard a voice say, "Hey! Marry this woman!" But he still spoke to me.

You've never heard the phrase, "That piece [of art/music/literature/etc] really spoke to me?" It's not literal.

Course if he did mean it literally (and I doubt he did), then he is cray cray.
Good point :)

I'm terrible at coming up with an interesting fact about myself. I'm always worried I'll sound full of myself.
Well you'd fit right in with my Mexican upbringing. All positive talk about oneself is bragging.

Well you'd fit right in with my Mexican upbringing. All positive talk about oneself is bragging.

Yeah. My mother is actually not so into modesty as far as personal achievements go. She's constantly bragging about my sister and me. I think that may be part of why I view talking about myself in any positive way to be arrogant.

I'm also a big believer in that anything I can do, I can only do because of God. So it makes it hard to say good things about yourself when it wasn't really you who did it anyway.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah. My mother is actually not so into modesty as far as personal achievements go. She's constantly bragging about my sister and me.
I should've clarified; it's not bragging if you're shoving your child's achievements in the face of your siblings or family members. We Mexicans have weird rules.

I should've clarified; it's not bragging if you're shoving your child's achievements in the face of your siblings or family members. We Mexicans have weird rules.
That is just motivating.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a medical school interview, but when I interviewed for a lab position my freshman year, the PI got my me confused with another student, I managed to misinterpret his project proposal (I applied through a program headed by one of the departments at my school), and he spent the majority of the interview ranting about why he didn't like my school's applied science focus after I asked him about the applications of his work.

Needless to say, I did not get into the lab, and looking back, I'm thankful that I didn't.

he spent the majority of the interview ranting about why he didn't like my school's applied science focus after I asked him about the applications of his work.
Well there's your problem. Never ask a scientist about the applications of their work. :rofl:

I don't know if this counts, but one of my interviewers asked if he could take a phone call during our interview (it was a 20 minute long interview). He didn't end up taking the phone call, but it was awkward.

I don't know if this counts, but one of my interviewers asked if he could take a phone call during our interview (it was a 20 minute long interview). He didn't end up taking the phone call, but it was awkward.

I wonder if he was just trying to see how you'd react.

Reactions: 4 users
One girl's fun fact during an ice breaker was that she had 24 teeth..she was flustered because some guy took her initial fun fact: juggling

Reactions: 11 users
One girl's fun fact during an ice breaker was that she had 24 teeth..she was flustered because some guy took her initial fun fact: juggling
Eh, if you were interviewing in the South, they probably immediately accepted her.

Reactions: 6 users

LOL, if he would have said that he was the only one in his program that would have been fun fact enough on its own.

But....... teeth :barf:

Teeth are awesome yo. No teeth, no eat.

I don't know about you, but I love tasting new food. Brb gonna order Thai.

This happened to me once but thankfully it was for an internship and not a medical school interview.

I was speaking to a woman and she was asking me a series of yes or no questions. In response to one of them I accidentally said "Yes, sir", after which we both went silent and looked at each other for a moment before she let out a forced awkward chuckle.

Well there's your problem. Never ask a scientist about the applications of their work. :rofl:

I definitely learned my lesson :laugh: It all worked out in the end - I ended up in another, much more supportive lab a semester after that. Not really an applied science lab either, haha. But I do like knowing if people have reasons for doing their research, sue me:whistle:

A kid during our tour of the simulation center jumped on the table and started doing chest compressions when the woman jokingly asked if anyone knew cpr and made the patient flatline.

The dude broke a sweat and everything in a full suit. Got down said wow I didn't know we would have to do that... you didn't man.

Reactions: 51 users
A kid during our tour of the simulation center jumped on the table and started doing chest compressions when the woman jokingly asked if anyone knew cpr and made the patient flatline.

The dude broke a sweat and everything in a full suit. Got down said wow I didn't know we would have to do that... you didn't man.
Bahahahahaha, guys is thus fur realz?

Reactions: 1 users
Bahahahahaha, guys is thus fur realz?
I saw this happen at a tour though in his defense the guide was waiting for someone to do it and if he hadn't the awkward silence would've gotten even worse.

Saw a guy with a padfolio handing out resumes to everyone that looked remotely like a staff member. Once someone made it clear they weren't on the committee he stopped speaking to them. It was pretty savage.

:eek: I would pay so much money to see this first hand.

I saw this happen at a tour though in his defense the guide was waiting for someone to do it and if he hadn't the awkward silence would've gotten even worse.

I guess if you lead enough tours you gotta entertain yourself somehow lol! So messed up that they would do that. I'm nervous now bc I used to work for Red Cross and it's on my app!

Teeth are awesome yo. No teeth, no eat.

I don't know about you, but I love tasting new food. Brb gonna order Thai.

Actually if I recall correctly majority of the taste/flavor experience comes from smell (which is why when you have a stuffed nosed food taste bland) so remove all of your teeth and you'll be fine for that lolol chewing is a whole nother story I guess.

Actually if I recall correctly majority of the taste/flavor experience comes from smell.

You got me there! Smell indeed plays a major role in flavor.

Let's set a hypothetical situation for a moment...

You're out, completing a 5K run.
You're super hungry, and you see your favorite hot dog stand at the finish line.
You envision eating it...with the delicious mustard (if that's what you prefer).
You smell it and get even hungrier- your stomach growls, demanding that you consume it now.

You hurriedly fork over your cash to the guy running the stand, and you get a delicious hot dog in return.

Then as you go to complete this ritual of eating by chewing, you yelp out in pain- oops. There is significant decay on your molars. Root canal needed if you ever want their use again in grinding your & enjoying your food.

This is why I'm going into dentistry- so that people can enjoy their hot dogs. I hope I have your vote.

Had an interviewer at LUCOM tell me god spoke to him and told him to become a faculty member at Liberty....

It took me all of my might to keep from rolling my eyes

"pssst. Become a faculty member at Liberty University."

Come on, God.

"just do it tho"

Reactions: 23 users
You got me there! Smell indeed plays a major role in flavor.

Let's set a hypothetical situation for a moment...

You're out, completing a 5K run.
You're super hungry, and you see your favorite hot dog stand at the finish line.
You envision eating it...with the delicious mustard (if that's what you prefer).
You smell it and get even hungrier- your stomach growls, demanding that you consume it now.

You hurriedly fork over your cash to the guy running the stand, and you get a delicious hot dog in return.

Then as you go to complete this ritual of eating by chewing, you yelp out in pain- oops. There is significant decay on your molars. Root canal needed if you ever want their use again in grinding your & enjoying your food.

This is why I'm going into dentistry- so that people can enjoy their hot dogs. I hope I have your vote.

LOL much respect. No one likes their food rituals interrupted by teeth problems.

What I think is super cool about dentistry is when they start linking it to biomedicine at large. Plenty of researchers are now realizing that oral health is not exclusively effecting the dentition/mouth area but also effecting the entire body! Turns out poor oral hygiene can initiate or progress some diseases. A great case for linking two fields that have been historically separate, like your doctor has no idea what your dentist is doing and vice versa.

Aaaaaaand now we are completely getting off topic haha

What I think is super cool about dentistry is when they start linking it to biomedicine at large. Plenty of researchers are now realizing that oral health is not exclusively effecting the dentition/mouth area but also effecting the entire body! Turns out poor oral hygiene can initiate or progress some diseases. A great case for linking two fields that have been historically separate, like your doctor has no idea what your dentist is doing and vice versa.

Aaaaaaand now we are completely getting off topic haha

It is indeed really cool what is happening in dentistry. Research on the link between periodontal disease & diabetes is exploding.

People with periodontal disease (gum disease) are SIX TIMES more likely to develop poor glycemic control. And those with diabetes are much more likely to develop periodontal disease (due to increased cytokine activity & other inflammation throughout the body).

Dental researchers are actually developing an algorithm (I'm not kidding you here) that will allow you to determine your risk of diabetes or pre-diabetes just from your gums. That's HUGE because there are also so many undiagnosed pre-diabetics and diabetics out there. If you can reach out to that population during a routine dental exam, alert them to what is happening, and get them to become proactive, then you can prevent so many complications like nephropathy!

It's fascinating what is being done.

Last edited:
It is indeed really cool what is happening in dentistry. Research on the link between periodontal disease & diabetes is exploding.

People with periodontal disease (gum disease) are SIX TIMES more likely to develop poor glycemic control. And those with diabetes are much more likely to develop periodontal disease (due to increased cytokine activity & other inflammation throughout the body).

Dental researchers are actually developing an algorithm (I'm not kidding you here) that will allow you to determine your risk of diabetes or pre-diabetes just from your gums. That's HUGE because there are also so many undiagnosed pre-diabetics and diabetics out there. If you can reach out to that population during a routine dental exam, alert them to what is happening, and get them to become proactive, then you can prevent so many complications like nephropathy!

It's fascinating what is being done.

Ahhhh I just love the advancement of biomedicine, makes me all tingly inside!