Facepalm interview moments 2016 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would be so mortified if this happened to me:rofl: I think guys get more of a pass on this stuff
It happens to me more often than I'd like to admit.

That or 20 minute long bathroom breaks on dates.

IBS is fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Where does giving pop rocks to the other applicants - in the middle of the MMI during a break - and potentially (he said he was going to) to your interviewer - fit in the scope of things?

Reactions: 1 users
Also we just did a surgery on a bowel obstruction - from a person actually swallowing the fent patches. They don't dissolve - and apparently they do this to get every last mg out of them

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also we just did a surgery on a bowel obstruction - from a person actually swallowing the fent patches. They don't dissolve - and apparently they do this to get every last mg out of them

Yikes. In almost 8 years in the OR, I never saw that.

Was asked to tell about myself and got sidetracked and decided it was a great idea to talk about how many pets I had, all of their names, and how I like spending time with animals more than people :wtf:
Omg that's gonna be me. My freaking avatar is a picture of my dog for goodness sakes.

I had my legs crossed for 45 minutes and didn't change position. When I stood up to leave the interviewer's room, I had NO idea that my foot had fallen COMPLETELY asleep (took a second for blood to return and give me the pins and needles indication)... so I tried to take a step forward and instead fell INTO my interviewer.

**UPDATE- Accepted to this school! lmao!

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
One of my interviewers suggested I read a specific book so I wrote down the author and title. When I looked it up, it was about how to have appropriate body language for important events in life... Fail.
what was the name of the book? Did it have a title that kind of hid what the book was actually about?

I couldn't figure out how to open the door to leave at the end of an otherwise great interview...:smack:

Reactions: 6 users
After an MMI station, I walked out with the interviewer's hand sanitizer because I thought it was my water bottle. I had to go back in to return it. :unsure:

Reactions: 19 users
After an MMI station, I walked out with the interviewer's hand sanitizer because I thought it was my water bottle. I had to go back in to return it. :unsure:
I just cracked up laughing in my quiet office...I'm sure they were glad you returned it:angelic: This sounds like something I would do!

>Talk about a current healthcare issue.

>Proceed to talk about how stem cell research isn't being funded properly and how the public is ignorant about types of stem cell research.

>Turns out my interviewer specializes in stem cell research.

>Proceed to get asked tons of questions about stem cell research.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

>Proceed to talk about how stem cell research isn't being funded properly and how the public is ignorant about types of stem cell research.

I feel like this could've been a good thing?

At one of my interviews, I noticed I had had my fly down the whole interview (which was multiple parts). FML.

Also, result: waitlist :smack:
Moral of the story: XYZ!

Reactions: 2 users
At one of my interviews, I noticed I had had my fly down the whole interview (which was multiple parts). FML.

Also, result: waitlist :smack:
Moral of the story: XYZ!

Was this at WMed?

I feel like this could've been a good thing?

Possibly lol. I felt very meh about the discussion. My knowledge is limited and he spoke to me as if I should have a deep understanding about stem cell research

Waiting on results back from a certain school and cant help but think of what happened at the end of my interview.....
Killed the interview and thought I did really well, afterwards he offered to walk me out of the hospital because it was quite confusing. As he finished his last instructions he ended with "go out the door and make a left" I continued out the door and in my post interview bliss made a right.... my interviewers last words to me were "Your other left.....:bang:"
Update: ACCEPTED:wideyed:

Reactions: 16 users
Ok, is breaking the fourth wall during an acting MMI cringeworthy?

Not an interview, but as a scribe the other day:
During an appointment, physician explaining to patient that they have a newly discovered invasive lung cancer. Patient obviously very emotionally upset, crying the entire visit. Physician leaves the room for just a few seconds to retrieve some info on referral to oncologist, leaving only me and the patient.

Patient: "So how are you today?"

Me (solemnly): "Not too bad"... then out of habit "and how about you?" :bang::bang::bang:

I wish there was something to say in these cases... :/

Off topic, but I hate when I walk in to do an EKG or lab stick (as an ER tech) and I ask someone who is really sick or terribly upset how they are doing. I have been cussed out many of times by doing that hahaha

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there was a dude at my USF interview who wore a wooden Bow Tie.

I told the dean that I was a big fan of the PBR culture at the school (as opposed to pbl).

I had a very unrealistic MMI about organ transplantation, a field I've worked in for years. Interviewer kept trying to give me hints like "but what if you were in ... situation", but I was amped up on 3 cups of coffee and instead spent the whole time explaining the intricacies of organ allocation and why the question was so stupid.

This one wasn't me, but when I asked the faculty interviewer why SHE had chosen to work at X school, she said it had been a mistake and that she was very unhappy there. She spent the whole interview talking about how great her previous job was...

One guys fun fact during intros was that he'd graduated first in his major. As if that wasn't already super weird, when the dean asked how many people were in his program, he admitted that he was actually the only one...
Silly question... I know what PBL is... what is PBR?
Thanks in advance!!

Silly question... I know what PBL is... what is PBR?
Thanks in advance!!

You know you're from Texas when... I interpreted it as PBR...professional bullriding. It's a legit organization down here lol. :laugh: OP, please enlighten us on what you intended this acronym to mean. :eek:

You know you're from Texas when... I interpreted it as PBR...professional bullriding. It's a legit organization down here lol. :laugh: OP, please enlighten us on what you intended this acronym to mean. :eek:

Yup PBR. It was all I drank for 4 years in undergrad. The smell alone would kill a lesser man

pbr-worst-tattoos.jpg

Got to my interview super early and ran into another applicant in a hallway. I introduced myself, and she responded by saying "Yeah, I know. We went to school together last year..."

Most awkward moment of my life.

Reactions: 11 users
]

I did this too. Would like to know.
How did you do it? I assume it's not cringeworthy if it made sense to do so but if you said something like "obviously this just acting and not real" that could be a bit different

Pabst blue ribbon. Also known ass Piss-poor Beer Replacememt.
That is the only thing I could think of... I just didn't know if it was some new "up and coming new way of revolutionizing learning" or some bologna like that hahahahaha:laugh:

How did you do it? I assume it's not cringeworthy if it made sense to do so but if you said something like "obviously this just acting and not real" that could be a bit different

Basically, I thought that the actor and I had worked through the situation sufficiently. We had come to a good conclusion to the issue at hand and there was nothing else to say, I thought, so I looked at the rater for several seconds, as if to say, "well, now what.." but I didn't actually say anything to her.

She just stared back. So awkward. So then I came up with more to say to the actor. Ughghh it still makes me squirm thinking about it.

Basically, I thought that the actor and I had worked through the situation sufficiently. We had come to a good conclusion to the issue at hand and there was nothing else to say, I thought, so I looked at the rater for several seconds, as if to say, "well, now what.." but I didn't actually say anything to her.

She just stared back. So awkward. So then I came up with more to say to the actor. Ughghh it still makes me squirm thinking about it.

I'd guess they have a lot of experience with that and other reactions. Most applicants haven't had to that sort of mock-conversation, so I'd be certain others have had a similar response. Additionally, they are likely directed to not respond without some prompting/direction (so as to not lead the interview). Haha every interview is bound to have something...!

I asked my rater a question during the scenarios at both interviews that had them. They responded with "good question" at one, and the other "make it up". From what I'm told it's either acceptable or a good thing.

Oh boy... just got done with an MMI and I really wish I could contribute. Why do interviews make me the most awkward person in the world?

Oh boy... just got done with an MMI and I really wish I could contribute. Why do interviews make me the most awkward person in the world?
Because they can't react to you so it only amplifies the awkward :(

Reactions: 3 users
Because they can't react to you so it only amplifies the awkward :(
This is pretty legit reasoning, never thought about it that way before! Some interview lunches were awkward for me lol. *drops sauce on jacket as I lift up sandwich*

This is pretty legit reasoning, never thought about it that way before! Some interview lunches were awkward for me lol. *drops sauce on jacket as I lift up sandwich*
Tell me about it. My interview last month had a soup and salad setup for lunch. Both of which i hate. So I went back to the table with a water bottle and a roll lol.

0 II club here this year.

But in an interview from a previous cycle:

I pulled up to the parking lot where an adcom member was to give us a parking pass. My car proceeded to develop a dark sense of humor and prevented the window from rolling down. Cue an awkward door open and exchange and we're back on our way.

The morning then started off with coffee and fruit during financial aid and curriculum presentations. Perfect thing to calm my nerves! I grabbed a cup and a creamer on the way to my seat and proceeded to be captivated. The presentation ended and we were quickly shuffled off to our student led tour. After it ended, I noticed I had spilled a bit of coffee onto my shirt, but nothing a quick bathroom break and a shift of the tie couldn't mask. Great, back on my way.

Finished up a duo of conversational interviews, not before mentioning that I was an avid fan of a band whose tour bus had just unloaded their septic tank into the river of my first interviewer's home town. Whatever, had to move forward.

I finally walked back to the much maligned car and felt a wet spot on my hind quarters. Turned out I ditched an unused creamer in my pocket that had exploded at some point during the day.

Would rank this as a top 10 memorable day.

Result: Rejected

Reactions: 20 users

I pulled up to the parking lot where an adcom member was to give us a parking pass. My car proceeded to develop a dark sense of humor and prevented the window from rolling down. Cue an awkward door open and exchange and we're back on our way.

The morning then started off with coffee and fruit during financial aid and curriculum presentations. Perfect thing to calm my nerves! I grabbed a cup and a creamer on the way to my seat and proceeded to be captivated. The presentation ended and we were quickly shuffled off to our student led tour. After it ended, I noticed I had spilled a bit of coffee onto my shirt, but nothing a quick bathroom break and a shift of the tie couldn't mask. Great, back on my way.

Finished up a duo of conversational interviews, not before mentioning that I was an avid fan of a band whose tour bus had just unloaded their septic tank into the river of my first interviewer's home town. Whatever, had to move forward.

I finally walked back to the much maligned car and felt a wet spot on my hind quarters. Turned out I ditched an unused creamer in my pocket that had exploded at some point during the day.

Holy **** this took me on a journey

Reactions: 11 users

Wow that story had everything

Reactions: 5 users

I don't think this can be topped. Better luck this year, I can only hope you have an absolutely flawless interview compared to that nightmare

That is murphy's interview.

So I got into that school. :)

Reactions: 9 users

Aside from it being a terrible day, do you write short stories on the side because if not, you should..great read