Facial hair and what to bring to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxinabox90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your opinions on facial hair at the interview? I want to look professional, but have kept a full beard for the last few years and really feel more comfortable and confident with the facial hair.

Also, would bringing an backpack to the school/interview look unprofessional? I'm really tight on money right now and that's all I have as far as luggage goes. I was planning to bring a leather portfolio with a legal pad/pen and one change of clothes in the bag. My first interview is on the 29th and I'll be staying with an Airbnb host that would like me to check out before noon on the day of the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I brought a portfolio but I didn't open it once.

I wanna know about nose piercings if I should take mine out. Though it was very visible in the picture I sent for the TMDSAS application so I'm wondering if it's safe to leave it in for my interview at Baylor or take it out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your opinions on facial hair at the interview? I want to look professional, but have kept a full beard for the last few years and really feel more comfortable and confident with the facial hair.

Also, would bringing an backpack to the school/interview look unprofessional? I'm really tight on money right now and that's all I have as far as luggage goes. I was planning to bring a leather portfolio with a legal pad/pen and one change of clothes in the bag. My first interview is on the 29th and I'll be staying with an Airbnb host that would like me to check out before noon on the day of the interview.

Being comfortable/confident > How you look

I wanna know about nose piercings if I should take mine out. Though it was very visible in the picture I sent for the TMDSAS application so I'm wondering if it's safe to leave it in for my interview at Baylor or take it out.

Being comfortable/confident > How you look

I used to conduct interviews for college students and yup I never noticed what they wore but always did see how confident they were!

But for nose piercings I don't know, to be honest. I think they look cool and everything and it's fine to wear one as a dental student, but might not be worth the risk during interviews?

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely take out your piercings. I had gauged ears that I let close back up well ahead a year in advance before my interviews since some of the interviewers were older and a bit more conservative. It isn't worth risking it.

As far as the beard, I sported mine and never contemplated going clean-shaven. It is professional if kept tidy and clean.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to go clean shaven, not going to take the risk

You risk getting an interviewer that is bias against facial hair/long hair(if male) or less common earrings. Your interviewer might be a strait edge military type. IMO trim to a very respectable look if not fully shave, smile often, take out peircings, and be yourself. As everyone else says, confidence speaks more than anything else and can even overcome your looks but as much as we dont like it, interviewers gravitate to beautiful and welcoming faces, which usually equates to hairless chins and pierceless noses.