Facial hair during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I disagree. I went without shaving to my interviews and did fine. The same is the case for several classmates. What is important is that your beard looks professionally groomed.
My recommendation is a general rule that does not predict individual outcomes. No one can say what might have happened had you taken the other choice! You may have been accepted despite the beard (not because of it)..

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation is a general rule that does not predict individual outcomes. No one can say what might have happened had you taken the other choice! You may have been accepted despite the beard (not because of it)..
That's one way to put it, but I don't think you have any data for this "general rule." It's easy to deflect and say it was an individual outcome.

That's one way to put it, but I don't think you have any data for this "general rule." It's easy to deflect and say it was an individual outcome.
A recognized goal in the interview process is to appeal to the broadest possible audience of evaluators. Since we will never have an RCT of shaven vs unshaven applicants, I am offering an experienced opinion that a clean shave does this better than the alternatives, nothing more.

If your personal identity requires facial hair, that is another matter. It is far better to be true to your religion or self-definition than a grooming expectation..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
A recognized goal in the interview process is to appeal to the broadest possible audience of evaluators. Since we will never have an RCT of shaven vs unshaven applicants, I am offering an experienced opinion that a clean shave does this better than the alternatives, nothing more.

If your personal identity requires facial hair, that is another matter. It is far better to be true to your religion or self-definition than a grooming expectation..
Sounds good.