Facial piercings and vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breenie

Weenie 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I have my nose pierced-- took it out for interviews. I told myself I'd get my lip pierced eventually, before I had to be a real adult and all that.

Well, I got accepted to vet school, and while I'm not too worried about the nose ring, I do wonder about having the lip ring now.

Did I wait too long to indulge my youthful crazy!? Do any of you have any facial piercings/plan to keep them in? I have a friend at UIUC who has her lip ring in with no problem, but just looking for some more thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's not a big deal, just be prepared to take them out before clinical rotations. Maybe you could get away with an acrylic stud in the nose even during rotations (what i'm doing for interviews) but I dunno about hiding a lip piercing like that.

If you do Mizzou, the 2+2 would mean you'd only get 2 years to have the lip ring... would that be okay?

Honestly, I wish people would just get over seeing piercings as being 'weird' or 'immature'... but ya know.

If you do Mizzou, the 2+2 would mean you'd only get 2 years to have the lip ring... would that be okay?

Yeah, I've accepted the temporal limitations. :) That's part of my hesitation, too. If I knew for sure I could have it for the two years, no biggie, I'd most likely go ahead and do it. I don't want to waltz into my second class and have someone be like, "Young lady, I am not sure that complies with dress code!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Mississippi is one of the few schools that might have a dress code *that* strict.

Anyone from current schools have piercings, or classmates with piercings?

I can say that Western is fine with whatever, that's certain. Oklahoma doesn't care enough to complain, either.

Yeah, I've accepted the temporal limitations. :) That's part of my hesitation, too. If I knew for sure I could have it for the two years, no biggie, I'd most likely go ahead and do it. I don't want to waltz into my second class and have someone be like, "Young lady, I am not sure that complies with dress code!"

Could you call the schools that you've been accepted to/are hoping to be accepted to and ask what their feelings are on facial piercings? If you have any problems on day 2 you could always say that so-in-so in admissions gave you permission.

There was a tech I used to work with that had a ton of piercings and she always took them out each morning and put them back in each afternoon before leaving work. She wasn't concerned about clients seeing them but she was always afraid that an animal would accidentally rip them out. Not sure how likely that is, but that was her fear.

Could you call the schools that you've been accepted to/are hoping to be accepted to and ask what their feelings are on facial piercings? If you have any problems on day 2 you could always say that so-in-so in admissions gave you permission.

There was a tech I used to work with that had a ton of piercings and she always took them out each morning and put them back in each afternoon before leaving work. She wasn't concerned about clients seeing them but she was always afraid that an animal would accidentally rip them out. Not sure how likely that is, but that was her fear.

Yeah, I've thought about giving them a call. Haven't done so yet! I work in slow steps. ;)

She has a point-- I tend to avoid wearing a hoop in my nose/ears when I'm around the animals. I feel okay with studs, but you never know...

I have my eyebrow pierced (barbell, not a hoop, so it's slightly less obvious), and I believe there's another student in our class with facial piercings. I know there are a lot of girls with multiple ear piercings. I've had one-on-one conversations with professors, and no one has even batted an eye at my piercings.

A girl in our class has a nose stud thing. It's like a dot on her nose? I dunno what they're called. It looks good though - I'm not sure they'd allow something like a septal piercing or anything.

I believe the same applies to tattoos, but tattoos can't be removed. I have a half sleeve on my arm, but I figured the lab coat would easily cover it so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I did my best to cover them for the interviews though, because you can never assume people will be accepting of them.

Overall, I think that if you get into school, classmates are not going to be too judgmental. Piercings and tattoos are very popular nowadays. There were 4 vet techs I worked with who all had piercings and tattoos, and the vet didn't make them take them out or cover them up (then again this wa sin New Jersey). I would only take them out if it were a hazard, or if there was any risk of them being ripped out. I don't think it is ever to late to do what you want. Be yourself, and if people don't like it, then they need wake up call. Your probably going to have to take the lip ring out when you start work, so now would be the best time to do it.

Piercings and tattoos don't seem to be a problem at UT, and I don't think there is any official rule. Most of my classmates that do have piercings only wear small studs or bars, nothing super obvious. And tattoos don't seem to matter as long as they are not visible if you are in the clinics.

Here at MSU (Mich State) I don't think that there are problems with classmates and professors with piercings/tats but I do know that when we do the simulated client sessions (we get videotaped in a room with a fake client, pretend patient) and the clients grade/comment on our performance the individuals with extensive tats or extensive piercing or those in non-ear (or those with more than two in their ears) tend to get negative feedback and comments about their unprofessional and distracting appearence.

I'm not touting this as my personal opinion or getting into whether it's right or wrong, but it tends to cause some drama in my class come feedback time...

I think Mississippi is one of the few schools that might have a dress code *that* strict.

Yes, Mississippi is THAT strict. While I haven't seen anything come about due to tats or piercings, I have seen students get in trouble (and pulled out of class) for everything from 'not professional' enough clothing, as well as "Unnatural Colored" hair. Don't even get me started on the "Excessive Cleavage" lecture we all got - (I think the guys were just wondering what dip-**** complained!)

I have a nose piercing on both sides of my nose, tongue ring and multiple ear piercings. Another guy in my class has an eyebrow ring. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen students get in trouble (and pulled out of class) for everything from 'not professional' enough clothing, as well as "Unnatural Colored" hair. Don't even get me started on the "Excessive Cleavage" lecture we all got - (I think the guys were just wondering what dip-**** complained!)

:laugh: Thanks for making me appreciate Norcal all over again!

we do the simulated client sessions (we get videotaped in a room with a fake client, pretend patient) and the clients grade/comment on our performance the individuals with extensive tats or extensive piercing or those in non-ear (or those with more than two in their ears) tend to get negative feedback and comments about their unprofessional and distracting appearence.

Exactly. Anybody with visible piercings/tatoos should give this serious thought. We can complain all we want about people not being open-minded, being judgemental, whatever, but this is the reality. If you choose to have pieces of metal stuck through your face or colorful ink injected under your skin, that is generally going to be the first - and sometimes, the only - thing people notice/remember about you. And c'mon, if you do this, obviously you *want* it to be noticed, isn't that the point? It is the "statement" you're making - "look at me, I'm different/unique!" - so don't complain about people noticing/forming opinions of you based on it.

You're going in to a professional career where maturity, tradition, conservativism, etc., are generally valued and respected more than "uniqueness." Maybe your friends/classmates think it's great and you fit in fine in school, but in the real world, your coworkers/bosses/clients probably won't appreciate it so much. Not saying it will hold you back or make people think worse of you, but why take the chance? Is your "statement" that important? Wouldn't you rather be remembered by your profs/future clients as the one who asked great questions, listened well, bonded with their pet, patiently explained things, any number of great professional skills - rather than "oh yeah, that one with the big hunks of metal through the eyebrow/lip/ear/chin/nose?"

I have seen students get in trouble (and pulled out of class) for everything from 'not professional' enough clothing, as well as "Unnatural Colored" hair.

Ya know, I actually wish this would happen at KSU. I'm far from GQ material myself, I much prefer casual, but there should be some limits. There are people in my class who roll in everyday seriously looking like homeless bums or like they just came from the gym. Unshowered, scruffy, dirty sweats/tees, ripped up jeans, backward baseball caps, beanies. I'm sure I sound like the old fuddy-duddy, but seriously, it is pretty disgraceful. I would never advocate mandatory ties/dress shirts, etc., but people should show a little respect by at least getting close to an "office casual" level.

There are people in my class who roll in everyday seriously looking like homeless bums or like they just came from the gym. Unshowered, scruffy, dirty sweats/tees, ripped up jeans, backward baseball caps, beanies. I'm sure I sound like the old fuddy-duddy, but seriously, it is pretty disgraceful. I would never advocate mandatory ties/dress shirts, etc., but people should show a little respect by at least getting close to an "office casual" level.

You sound like a lot of fun.

edit: What, exactly, are people "disrespecting?"

Wouldn't you rather be remembered by your profs/future clients as the one who asked great questions, listened well, bonded with their pet, patiently explained things, any number of great professional skills - rather than "oh yeah, that one with the big hunks of metal through the eyebrow/lip/ear/chin/nose?"

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

What exactly is wrong with casual when all you're doing is sitting in class or getting grubbed up in lab anyway?

Argh... even the vets I'ved worked with don't dress "office casual". They wear scrubs and sneakers or jeans/nice shirt.

It's one thing to come in with boobs hanging out and torn jeans, but dress pants and blouses just seem so starchy.

AVC has pub crawls and dress-up days. If they want you to look serious and professional, you'd think they'd start by getting rid of those events before overhauling the dresscode.

I think a great deal depends on the school you go to and the area of the country you are in. Obviously if you're at a more conservative school, say in the midwest, and want to end up practicing farm animal medicine in the midwest, piercings/tattoos might be viewed negatively by your professors and future clients. Not to mention you couldn't pay me enough to handle cows with a lip ring in - too much potential for disaster!

Some places are much more relaxed in their views, obviously. For example, I work in a clinic where all but one or two staff members are tattooed and pierced, most visibly so. The owner (and head vet) has more tattoos than most of her staff, but most aren't visible under scrubs. I'm sure some vet schools are totally cool with facial piercings and visible tattoos.

That all being said, I've got two holes in each ear plus a cartilage piercing and a bellybutton ring I usually forget is there, and numerous tattoos, none of which are visible normally. It's something to consider if you're thinking of getting one in terms of clients' view of your professionalism. I've found that mostly, the people who care that you have tats/piercings are the people who don't have any.

And c'mon, if you do this, obviously you *want* it to be noticed, isn't that the point? It is the "statement" you're making - "look at me, I'm different/unique!" - so don't complain about people noticing/forming opinions of you based on it.
I disagree with this. My tattoos are very personal - if I wanted attention, I'd tattoo a butterfly on my neck. I don't mind people looking at them, and I don't mind talking about them, but I'm certainly not doing it to make a statement to the world.

There are people in my class who roll in everyday seriously looking like homeless bums or like they just came from the gym. Unshowered, scruffy, dirty sweats/tees, ripped up jeans, backward baseball caps, beanies. I'm sure I sound like the old fuddy-duddy, but seriously, it is pretty disgraceful. I would never advocate mandatory ties/dress shirts, etc., but people should show a little respect by at least getting close to an "office casual" level.

You do realize that we're going into a profession where we're going to be touching animals all day and you're more than likely to get pissed and **** on at least once a month? Maybe less if you're not on the 'front lines' (in academia and the like) but you're unlikely to make it out of vet school without such happening any how.

I really don't understand the "you have to dress up to come to class!" thing and I try to skirt the line as much as possible.

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

No, not at all. I've worked with many smart/professional people with tats/piercings. But like JumpHigher pointed out, obvious tats/piercings are the most noticable characteristic, can be distracting to most people, and might be the things people remember the most. You would just have to work THAT much harder to make your professionalism and other great qualities stand out more than the bodyart, and why put yourself at a disadvantage like that?

What exactly is wrong with casual when all you're doing is sitting in class or getting grubbed up in lab anyway?

Argh... even the vets I'ved worked with don't dress "office casual". They wear scrubs and sneakers or jeans/nice shirt.

Hey, nothing's wrong with casual, I'm a big fan. Jeans and a nice shirt are great. I'm saying there is a difference between "casual" and "bum", and seriously, if you passed some of my classmates on the street, you would think the latter.

No, not at all. I've worked with many smart/professional people with tats/piercings. But like JumpHigher pointed out, obvious tats/piercings are the most noticable characteristic, can be distracting to most people, and might be the things people remember the most. You would just have to work THAT much harder to make your professionalism and other great qualities stand out more than the bodyart, and why put yourself at a disadvantage like that?

I mentioned it above, but since I'm probably going with Mizzou, I'd only have 2.5 years with it, regardless. It wouldn't be an issue in clinics.

I'm skeptical of how judgmental people actually are, but maybe you're just expressing your own bias. One of the farmers whose herd checks I attend has his nipples pierced and walks around without his shirt on all the time. I have not received any complaints of my nose ring swinging in the breeze, at his farm or at others. And this is in Nowhereville, Wisconsin. So. Who knows.

You would just have to work THAT much harder to make your professionalism and other great qualities stand out more than the bodyart, and why put yourself at a disadvantage like that?

I feel that the line has to be breached some where. The only reason tattoos are 'taboo' is because there's not enough people with them. It's still a strange thing to see. Also their associations with the Punk and Biker culture and the ilk doesn't help either. So when you enter into a situation where a professional has them, one's biases may make you wonder what they 'really do', if that makes sense.

I think it's actually important that more professionals have tattoos because it helps promote the idea that it's a personal choice and not just something done to rebel. Makes them more acceptable to see them else where other than the 'scum of society', so to speak from a societal stand point.

I reckon this too shall pass and one day tattoos will fall under the same category as hair cuts did when they started deviating from clean cut combovers and the like. As long as the tattoos are tastefully done (IE no swastikas, naked ladies, dugs humping lamp posts, and so on), people will start ignoring them on others because they're no longer abnormal and stigmatized.

I've found that mostly, the people who care that you have tats/piercings are the people who don't have any.

Right, and in most areas, those people who don't have any are probably going to make up the majority of your clientele. I'm not saying people should try and be something they aren't but if you want to be successful, sometimes it's wise to consider what your clients - the people who pay you - are comfortable with.

I disagree with this. My tattoos are very personal - if I wanted attention, I'd tattoo a butterfly on my neck. I don't mind people looking at them, and I don't mind talking about them, but I'm certainly not doing it to make a statement to the world

In the first line, I referred to "visible" stuff. Sure, whatever is private, personal, and can be covered up shouldn't matter to anyone. No one can see it, it is your personal statement, no one should care. But the visible stuff, obviously it IS there to be seen and make a public statement.

You do realize that we're going into a profession where we're going to be touching animals all day and you're more than likely to get pissed and **** on at least once a month? Maybe less if you're not on the 'front lines' (in academia and the like) but you're unlikely to make it out of vet school without such happening any how.

Of course, and jeez I'm not advocating tux and tails or some "dry clean only" wardrobe. At least in school, we generally know what days we will be handling animals, we usually have scrubs we can change into, etc. But for most of us, we are sitting in class all day, not much risk of explosive diarrhea hitting us in the face. It shouldn't be too much to wear some decent clean clothes.

I really don't understand the "you have to dress up to come to class!" thing and I try to skirt the line as much as possible

Again, I am NOT advocating "dressing up." I'm simply advocating "don't look like a friggin' homeless bum."

Right, and in most areas, those people who don't have any are probably going to make up the majority of your clientele.

I addressed this in my other post, but here in Hillbilly, WI, many of our farmers are tatted and pierced. One of my favorite tattoos is the "Country Pride" one with a fabulous tractor. I have yet to have any old men dairy farmers with multiple DUI's moralize me. I'm not sure if you were referring to rural, midwestern areas or not... but generally that's what people jump to when referring to judgmental, conservative attitudes. :mad:

I have my nose pierce, a tragus piercing, my belly button pierced and am considering another ear cartilage piercing or two.

I have a tattoo on my back, have a very large one planned for my side, and will probably get a partial sleeve (upper arm).

I'm dying some of my hair purple soon.

I have no problem with people showing up to class in PJs, gym gear, scrubs, or whatever they want.

No one at Penn has at all said anything negative to me and I don't anticipate any of it being a problem. There are several others in my class with facial piercings as well.

If, when I get to clinics Penn feels that I look unprofessional I will make changes to minimize the problems. But I think that I can look professional no matter what, and I'm going into an area that I think will allow me to have my piercings and tattoos without significant repercussions.

I mentioned it above, but since I'm probably going with Mizzou, I'd only have 2.5 years with it, regardless. It wouldn't be an issue in clinics.

But the fact that you started this thread indicates that even you do question it.

But the fact that you started this thread indicates that even you do question it.

About it being an issue in clinics, or class? I don't see my hypothetical lip ring as a life-long piece of my body, so it had a time limit, regardless. Clinics seems like an appropriate time to send it packing. This thread was asking about experiences in the classroom/general academic setting. My apologies if that wasn't more clear.

Right, and in most areas, those people who don't have any are probably going to make up the majority of your clientele. I'm not saying people should try and be something they aren't but if you want to be successful, sometimes it's wise to consider what your clients - the people who pay you - are comfortable with.

In the first line, I referred to "visible" stuff. Sure, whatever is private, personal, and can be covered up shouldn't matter to anyone. No one can see it, it is your personal statement, no one should care. But the visible stuff, obviously it IS there to be seen and make a public statement.

Fact of the matter is, the majority of body modifications can be hidden in some way. Even if I decide not to ever get rid of my eyebrow ring, it won't be an issue in clinics/in practice, simply because, guess what? It's removable! As are all piercings, so unless you're talking about someone who has their earlobes gauged or refuses to remove their piercings, there is no reason why a piercing would be an issue.

As for tattoos, I would imagine that a good majority of veterinary students who do have tattoos aren't going out and getting tattoos on their faces. That being said, tattoos can be covered, either by clothing or flesh-colored makeup. If someone has a tattoo on their wrist (as the head vet tech/manager at my practice did -- she's currently in vet school), they can wear a watch or a bracelet or long sleeves. Neck tattoo? Turtle neck or make up, if it's really an issue. Full sleeves? Long sleeved shirts.

Really, there is no reason why a person wouldn't be successful as a veterinarian if they have tattoos or piercings, as long as they either have clients who don't care or are willing to cover them up.

But you are going to attend MIZZOU correct? I hope you know that its bible belt conservative central in that area. It's probably super chill in your area to have tattoos and such but over here it is still considered taboo. Honestly though, do not worry about it. Plenty of vet students have visible tattoos and piercings, its just the older generation that may make judgments. And chances are you probably wont end up practicing in the area anyway.

Fair enough. I was a little more curious about school reactions than the general public, but we kind of got de-railed. :) Thanks for the input.

Actually thinking about it. I attended this pre-vet thing in the fall. I remembering kathy saying this "before you interview, hide your tattoos and piercings and look professional. Once you get accepted bring on the piercings and tattoos and purple hair. We like diversity." Kathy pretty much knows everything so I would say that not only does MIZZOU not care about piercings, they even kinda like them.

Ahaha. Good to know! :)

Exactly. Anybody with visible piercings/tatoos should give this serious thought. We can complain all we want about people not being open-minded, being judgemental, whatever, but this is the reality. If you choose to have pieces of metal stuck through your face or colorful ink injected under your skin, that is generally going to be the first - and sometimes, the only - thing people notice/remember about you. And c'mon, if you do this, obviously you *want* it to be noticed, isn't that the point? It is the "statement" you're making - "look at me, I'm different/unique!" - so don't complain about people noticing/forming opinions of you based on it.

You're going in to a professional career where maturity, tradition, conservativism, etc., are generally valued and respected more than "uniqueness." Maybe your friends/classmates think it's great and you fit in fine in school, but in the real world, your coworkers/bosses/clients probably won't appreciate it so much. Not saying it will hold you back or make people think worse of you, but why take the chance? Is your "statement" that important? Wouldn't you rather be remembered by your profs/future clients as the one who asked great questions, listened well, bonded with their pet, patiently explained things, any number of great professional skills - rather than "oh yeah, that one with the big hunks of metal through the eyebrow/lip/ear/chin/nose?"

Ya know, I actually wish this would happen at KSU. I'm far from GQ material myself, I much prefer casual, but there should be some limits. There are people in my class who roll in everyday seriously looking like homeless bums or like they just came from the gym. Unshowered, scruffy, dirty sweats/tees, ripped up jeans, backward baseball caps, beanies. I'm sure I sound like the old fuddy-duddy, but seriously, it is pretty disgraceful. I would never advocate mandatory ties/dress shirts, etc., but people should show a little respect by at least getting close to an "office casual" level.

LOLOLOLOLOL. IM UNIQUE!!!!!!! I HAVE PIERCINGZ AND TATOOOOZZ!!!

Calm down. Depends on the school. Seriously, not everyone/school cares that much. Yea, I agree piercings on the job are unprofessional and not well tolerated, but this is SCHOOL. Especially first and second year. No one is going to remember me 4 years from now because I have a double nostril piercing. And if they do, they will ALSO remember my awesome work ethic and great personality and spirit. The piercings will come out when the time is appropriate. Until then, I am not one bit concerned what my professors' opinions about my facial piercings are. I ask great insightful questions during class and if my piercings identify me more so than the average non-pierced student, then so be it. Do I value my employers opinions? Most definitely. My professors'? Not at all.

LNo one is going to remember me 4 years from now because I have a double nostril piercing. And if they do, they will ALSO remember my awesome work ethic and great personality and spirit. The piercings will come out when the time is appropriate. Until then, I am not one bit concerned what my professors' opinions about my facial piercings are. I ask great insightful questions during class and if my piercings identify me more so than the average non-pierced student, then so be it. Do I value my employers opinions? Most definitely. My professors'? Not at all.

This subject always bugs me because I'm a pretty firm believer that so long as someone does their job competently, I don't care what they look like. My brain surgeon can show up with piercings running up and down his entire body; if everyone in the field agrees he's the bees knees (and he stays away from the MRI) we're golden.

You may want to consider, though, that professors can be people you end up relying on for contacts, introductions, job leads, recommendations, etc. As one professor of mine liked to point out: you're always on a job interview when you're in class.

I think that kept to a modest level, piercings and tattoos are sufficiently socially acceptable that they won't cause any trouble. But if you have piercings sticking out all over the place, or ink covering 50% of your body, you're going to pay a price in some doors closing. It'd be foolish to deny that. For some people maybe it's a price worth paying because they value self-expression that highly - that's great. But don't be naive about it, because it's life. It isn't fair, but it's true.

Also, just remember that you only have once chance to make a first impression. Someone's opinion of you can be formed in a second based on your appearance (unfortunate, but true). You may be trying to win over a new client with your vast arrays of knowledge, but they stopped listening after they saw your large tattoo.

I've worked in customer service for about 5 years. I only had one customer comment on my 7 ear piercings. It took my mom about a year to realize my forward helix piercing. Back when I had my vertical lobe piercing (which is pretty unique), a couple of my coworkers recognized and my dental hygienist. I had that for almost 3 years.

I don't even have the most modest jewelery in my piercings. I think if I switched them all over to short bars or retainers that most people won't notice, based on my prior experience.

A couple of times, I would comment on a customer's piercings and then we would compare lol. At first glance, they didn't seem to realize anything funky going on with my ears.

I'm going to throw out a couple of views.

At our school, it doesn't matter during the lecture portion, but might be a problem in some labs/selectives and during the clinical year.

When I worked at the zoo we had a 'no piercing/no visible tat/no jewelry' policy which I strongly enforced. It only takes seeing a few rings ripped out and dealing with the paperwork to decide that it was safer for the staff and the animals (ever have to worry about a FB in a tamarin? I know some dogs that are quick to eat anything that hits the floor as well.) The visible tattoos were an audience issue and apparently some animals find the patterns bitable. It wasn't my keeper's and educators jobs to explain tattoos to audiences, which did happen if they were visible.

After school the impact is going to vary more. I know already that if I own a clinic, it will be jewelry free except maybe watches. I have mixed feelings on tats because some tats are incredibly inappropriate, so it is easier to say all must be covered than try to defend what is and isn't inappropriate. If somoene gave me a really clear argument, I might make exceptions with notation (ie a maorie heritage facial tatoo.)

I have no vested interest in this; I don't have any tatoos or piercings (other than ears), and I love the art of some tattoos. but I have also seen some magnificent tats look like crap after a year or so, and the presence of tats or piercings can impact my clientelle. And that part might depend on the individual...some folks are so overwhelmingly good with people that tats don't matter (and they can change the impression folks have of tats) but alot of people aren't. And, if your having to explain your tat/piercing, or your clients are more focused on that than on the service you are providing, that is a problem. So that will be a geographical/clientelle limitation. Oh, and I have heard clients say 'obviously we are paying so much so she can have body art.' just things to think about.

Meh.

I would rather have docs and techs who are professional and competent than docs and techs who look professional and competent.

It's also 2011, and a large segment of the population has tattoos or has some variety of non-ear piercing. 20-30% of Americans 18-50, in different surveys, have some kind of tattoo.

It seems like it would make more sense for the professional attitude on this topic to shift towards public opinion instead of away from it. The shirt/tie/white coat image of professionalism is definitely outdated and could use some modernizing.

Meh.

I would rather have docs and techs who are professional and competent than docs and techs who look professional and competent.

It's also 2011, and a large segment of the population has tattoos or has some variety of non-ear piercing. 20-30% of Americans 18-50, in different surveys, have some kind of tattoo.

It seems like it would make more sense for the professional attitude on this topic to shift towards public opinion instead of away from it. The shirt/tie/white coat image of professionalism is definitely outdated and could use some modernizing.

Completely agree with you. However, there is a difference, at least in my opinion, between what is acceptable for the rest of the population, and what is acceptable for a professional. I wouldn't want my lawyer showing up to court with questionable tattoos, and I wouldn't want my surgeon to either. That may make me old-fashioned, but it's how I feel. (Something tasteful and small is different.)

Completely agree with you. However, there is a difference, at least in my opinion, between what is acceptable for the rest of the population, and what is acceptable for a professional. I wouldn't want my lawyer showing up to court with questionable tattoos, and I wouldn't want my surgeon to either.

If your surgeon shows up in court, you're in trouble regardless of the tattoos.

30 or 40 years ago, you would have seen the same illogical stigma projected on a female doctor or a female lawyer. Luckily we rethought that as a culture.

Personally, I don't believe in catering to the socially conservative definition of professionalism. I'll be the one with the degree, the license and the tattoos. I'll be defining my own professionalism and waiting for the culture to catch up.

If your surgeon shows up in court, you're in trouble regardless of the tattoos.

30 or 40 years ago, you would have seen the same illogical stigma projected on a female doctor or a female lawyer. Luckily we rethought that as a culture.

Personally, I don't believe in catering to the socially conservative definition of professionalism. I'll be the one with the degree, the license and the tattoos. I'll be defining my own professionalism and waiting for the culture to catch up.

Touche. Bad wording on my part. I meant to say that I wouldn't my surgeon showing up to surgery with outrageous tattoos. Lol. I admire you for your courage and your convictions moving forward, but I think it may take the world a bit longer to catch up with you than you want it to.

so, my grandfather was a rodeo rider and clown for decades. he was arrested for murder (bar brawl) and the wife of the man that was killed pulled him out of a line up...but then said it couldn't be him cause the guy who killed her husband had a tat. he decided then and there never to put a permenant mark on his body that was easily identifiable and/or could be confused for someone else's body art.

Now, he is a cranky old man. when he goes in to see doctors (and he had to have heart Sx a few years ago) he asks if they have any tats/piercings. If they say yes, he asks if he can see them, admires them, then asks the person what the risks of having it done were in terms of infectious dz. If they assure him they are minimal, but don't answer the question, he finds another Dr, because if they soft shoe their own risks rather than identifying them, he doens't want to know how much they soft shoe the risks to their patients.

so, my grandfather was a rodeo rider and clown for decades. he was arrested for murder (bar brawl) and the wife of the man that was killed pulled him out of a line up...but then said it couldn't be him cause the guy who killed her husband had a tat. he decided then and there never to put a permenant mark on his body that was easily identifiable and/or could be confused for someone else's body art.

Now, he is a cranky old man. when he goes in to see doctors (and he had to have heart Sx a few years ago) he asks if they have any tats/piercings. If they say yes, he asks if he can see them, admires them, then asks the person what the risks of having it done were in terms of infectious dz. If they assure him they are minimal, but don't answer the question, he finds another Dr, because if they soft shoe their own risks rather than identifying them, he doens't want to know how much they soft shoe the risks to their patients.

That is the craziest thing I have ever read on this message board.

That is the craziest thing I have ever read on this message board.

So you haven't been on the board that long ;).

I do live 12 hours away for a reason, but he's got a valid point. When he asked in the hospital what the risks of delaying Sx vs transferring to another hospital immediatly, no one wanted to be upfront about the risks. Soft shoeing, because no one wanted to tell him that every hour they delayed, his risk of death was climbing (whether that was not wanting to cause him additional stress, or not wanting the legal ramifications, or not wanting to be yelled at by a cranky old man, I don't know.) Either way, it's not a difficult question. Any of us, even before vet school, should be able to explain the risks that come from creating a wound in the skin, even if those risks are minimal, and explain how those risks can be minimized. If we can't do it with something simple like this, how are we going to explain all the risks and challenges our patients are dealing with?

One thing that sticks out to me here among the people who are all pro-tat/piercing is the attitude that "society needs to catch up." Somehow, having tats/piercings makes you more advanced/enlightened/accepting/whatever, and those who choose not to are lagging behind and just don't "get it yet." What's up with that? People who are for them say "oh it's my personal choice" - which of course it is, great for you. But then the people who make their own personal choice NOT to have them are looked down upon as unenlightened or stuck in the 50's or whatever.

I choose not to have tats/piercings for a very simple reason, it doesn't make sense to me. I think about the clothes I was wearing 10-15 years ago that I thought were great at the time, and today wouldn't want to wear. The stuff I am wearing today I probably won't want to wear 10-15 years from now. So why would I think that some design that seems so cool and perfect to me today will still seem so perfect to me 15 years from now that I would want to permanently add it to my body? Call me committmentphobic or whatever, but I don't get it. And it's not about your core values changing or anything like that - I am who I am and I don't see that changing much. But the point it, for most people at least, style preferences do change somewhat over time. If you know you'll always love this body modification, then great, more power to you. I couldn't say that myself, and I know plenty of people my age who got the "most awesome" tatoo ever in their 20's and now are just embarassed by it and wish they never did it.

So to each their own, but this attitude that "society needs to catch up", ie., we all need to run out and get tats/piercings, is crap.