Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I know that rankings don't mean too terribly much to most people when choosing a school, but just thought this was interesting:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...&sortdir=asc&program=top-veterinarian-schools

Not to mention they didn't even rank all the schools. Tuskegee and Western are unranked and Lincoln Memorial and Midwestern aren't even mentioned. Granted, in the case of the last two, they cannot be ranked, but they should be mentioned like Tuskegee and Western. And what about international schools? Sure, they aren't in the U.S., but there are several that are accredited by the U.S.

Reactions: 1 users
Some updates for Michigan State and Iowa State would be awesome. :)

Edit: never mind going with MSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hi all! Long time lurker here... been reading up on threads trying to decide between Kansas and Western. When factoring in cost of living, they're about the same tuition-wise since I'm OOS. I'm from the East coast so California is a bit far away as well, but at least there's an airport nearby. I was wondering if anyone else has been faced with a similar decision of Western's PBL-based curriculum vs. a more traditional one. PBL is certainly interesting, but I'm not sure I like that all the exams take place over one week instead of being spread out (I could be wrong on this?) Any help is appreciated, I keep picking one then changing my mind :confused:

hi all! Long time lurker here... been reading up on threads trying to decide between Kansas and Western. When factoring in cost of living, they're about the same tuition-wise since I'm OOS. I'm from the East coast so California is a bit far away as well, but at least there's an airport nearby. I was wondering if anyone else has been faced with a similar decision of Western's PBL-based curriculum vs. a more traditional one. PBL is certainly interesting, but I'm not sure I like that all the exams take place over one week instead of being spread out (I could be wrong on this?) Any help is appreciated, I keep picking one then changing my mind :confused:
K State has a great program and has been around for a long while whereas Western is a pretty new school. If the price tags are the same, I'd go with K state since an older school usually means more scholarships and more opportunities from alumni. That's my generalized opinion, though.

I actually got asked about why I would choose K-State over Western in my K-State interview, since I'm from California. I didn't end up applying to Western because I thought it would be important for me to have a teaching hospital and I felt I would do better with a more traditional curriculum and guidance than PBL, which I've heard can make you feel like you're on your own. That being said, I don't doubt the quality of the education there at all, it just wasn't for me. Also, cost of living in Kansas is wayyyy cheaper than Southern California, so even if tuition is the same, you'd still be paying less.

Reactions: 1 user
When I visited MSU, they showed us rooms with one way glass where students would practice client interactions with other students observing on the other side of the glass. Does Wisconsin do this as well?

Some of these are outdated, and I like to add a few things. If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post later.

Pros:
-Flexible Dual-Degree program (Usually students would start their PhD before vet school, but it's in the process of changing. Some students are now starting vet school first.)
-You can pursue a masters or PhD even if not accepted into the dual-degree program when you first begin- you just won't get the same benefits (such as scholarships, tuition waivers)
-Local Food Places (Sweet Tea and Barbeque are big)
-Awesome Gym on Campus
-Small Class Size (Now 85)
-We do have an Oncology department now – one of my classmates is working on her PhD through it.
-You can adopt the pets you do surgery on
-50% discount in the clinics for up to 5 of your pets (Does not include some testing/procedures. You drop them off before class and pick them up after, so it's really convenient for appointments)
-Attendance is not Mandatory (I don't know of any guest lectures we are required to attend yet)
-Parking Passes are Cheap (compared to my undergrad which was over $300)
-Computer Use is Allowed – Most students take notes on theirs & you are required to have a laptop for some tests. They recommend a Dell, but my friends have had bad luck with theirs.
-Great about setting up students with externships
-First and Second Years are allowed in the clinics at anytime to watch/learn & there is still 24 hour access to the building
-Easy Transition Into Courses (The difficulty builds up over time – the first few test averages are really high)
-Premier Imaging Center (A place with MRI and CT machines shared by both medical doctors and veterinarians. They just have separate hours for the two.)
-You get a personalized cowbell and lab coat when you start.
-Clubs for everything on the main campus.
-Summer Research Program
-You can choose your lap groups 2nd year.
-Professors are friendly and willing to help
-Early Entry Program (For those of you who are still in high school and currently applying to colleges)

Cons:
-Start Early (End of June, but it is a 2+2 curriculum- However, you do not get charged summer tuition.)
-Summer Financial Aide is offered, but you don't get it until mid-summer about a week after you start.
-Dress Code (I don't mind it)
-Not many banks
-Lack of many restaurant chains (No Chiptole or Steak and Shake)
-Diagnostic Center is small and located over an hour away, but they are working on improvement
-Lack of clothing stores
-You have to join SCAVMA to join other clubs
-You don't get to choose your lab groups first year
-One pet store in Starkville

As for exotic case load, we don't get very many, but we do get some. I've already met a few professors that work with exotics, and I've only been there a few weeks. My friend was able to study abroad in Africa this summer through the exotic animal club, and she was able to get tons of experiences with exotics. You can do an externship with exotics during your senior year. You also have opportunities to work with catfish since that's a big industry here.

Also, contrary to the last post, no Chic-fil-a offerings in the vet school (except catering for some club meetings), but it's really close by.

We also have some scholarships that you can apply for towards the end of your first year, but I don't know much about them yet.

This was really helpful! I read several informative posts on this site that made me sign up today. I noticed you didn't receive much gratitude for this post so I figured I'd add to it. Hope I don't seem like a creeper!

Hey Guys, I just wanted to put it out there that I am a current veterinary student at Tufts University. I got interviews at all the schools I applied to, and was accepted to all the school I interviewed at. I know how tough the application process can be and just wanted to let you know that you can message me directly on SDN and I may be able to help. I also worked my butt of to get into vet school, so though it may sound like it, I am not one of those genius people who don't need to try.

Hey Guys, I just wanted to put it out there that I am a current veterinary student at Tufts University. I got interviews at all the schools I applied to, and was accepted to all the school I interviewed at. I know how tough the application process can be and just wanted to let you know that you can message me directly on SDN and I may be able to help. I also worked my butt of to get into vet school, so though it may sound like it, I am not one of those genius people who don't need to try.
Everyone had to try to get accepted....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I sent in my Tufts deposit earlier this week but I'm also on the Wisconsin waitlist so I'm comparing both schools now. Would you be willing to post an updated pros/cons list for Tufts?

Everyone had to try to get accepted....

I was going to say something about how I am not sure I trust the new poster who just signed up today and posts twice in separate threads to message her for help with applications. How about offer the help in the threads so everyone can benefit? It just seems very odd. Also the grammar and spelling.

Reactions: 3 users
I was going to say something about how I am not sure I trust the new poster who just signed up today and posts twice in separate threads to message her for help with applications. How about offer the help in the threads so everyone can benefit? It just seems very odd. Also the grammar and spelling.
I mean at least change the post instead of copying and pasting lol

Sorry you guys feel that way. To be honest, it's a time issue. I am still in school and heading into finals. I asked for people to message me directly because I don't have time to read all the threads, and if someone messages then it means they really want help. Once my classes are done I can work on some pros/cons for Tufts. However, if I am somehow doing more harm then good by posting then I will stop. That is NOT my intention here.

Sorry you guys feel that way. To be honest, it's a time issue. I am still in school and heading into finals. I asked for people to message me directly because I don't have time to read all the threads, and if someone messages then it means they really want help. Once my classes are done I can work on some pros/cons for Tufts. However, if I am somehow doing more harm then good by posting then I will stop. That is NOT my intention here.

No, you aren't doing any harm. It is just that we do get internet trolls through here at times. So, when someone new comes in that has never posted before and is now, "let me give you information", I am just careful really careful is all.

Heck we could all be 50 year old men living in our mothers' basements for all anyone knows. I don't think anyone is, except for @LetItSnow he is definitely a 50 year old man in his mom's basement...

I completely get the time issue though, considering I am still in school too, heading into finals and then clinics. I am sure many people will look forward to your pro/con list once you have time to get it together. :)

Thanks for saying that, I was pretty shocked by the responses but I can understand now. There are just so many posts and forums, it's very overwhelming. It seems like there is already so much good information on this site I wasn't sure how to contribute.

Thanks for saying that, I was pretty shocked by the responses but I can understand now. There are just so many posts and forums, it's very overwhelming. It seems like there is already so much good information on this site I wasn't sure how to contribute.

Just kind of hang around and see what is posted. Contribute where you feel you can. You don't have to read every thread or contribute a lot. I am sure your pro/con list will help numerous people. So just kind of hang about, check some threads and jump in where you can.

We don't bite... hard... ;)

We like to have fun and sarcasm happens a lot here.

Reactions: 3 users
You certainly won't do any harm by offering insight into a school you attend. I just don't think you should say that there are vet students out there that "didn't have to try" to get in. Everyone had to work hard for the grades and experience, just as you did. :)

Last edited:
Just kind of hang around and see what is posted. Contribute where you feel you can. You don't have to read every thread or contribute a lot. I am sure your pro/con list will help numerous people. So just kind of hang about, check some threads and jump in where you can.

We don't bite... hard... ;)

We like to have fun and sarcasm happens a lot here.

Except for that shady @LetItSnow guy she mentioned earlier. His van's free candy sign is a lie.

Heck we could all be 50 year old men living in our mothers' basements for all anyone knows.

I was once accused of being a 300 pound 35 year old woman who lived in her mom's basement with a triple chin while I was kicking some serious butt on Halo. I told the guy that it was true and I was kicking his butt using only my triple chin on the controller while double fisting donuts. He didn't like that response.

Reactions: 11 users
I was once accused of being a 300 pound 35 year old woman who lived in her mom's basement with a triple chin while I was kicking some serious butt on Halo. I told the guy that it was true and I was kicking his butt using only my triple chin on the controller while double fisting donuts. He didn't like that response.
This is one of the best things I have ever heard

Thank you so much! I sent in my Tufts deposit earlier this week but I'm also on the Wisconsin waitlist so I'm comparing both schools now. Would you be willing to post an updated pros/cons list for Tufts?

I ended up having to wait around for a while today so I thought I would make the pro/con list. I've attached it as a document. Just remember, I am only one student so what I say is opinion based and if you have questions based on what I wrote feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Tufts.docx
    148.9 KB · Views: 192
I ended up having to wait around for a while today so I thought I would make the pro/con list. I've attached it as a document. Just remember, I am only one student so what I say is opinion based and if you have questions based on what I wrote feel free to ask.
This is very helpful! This list actually echoes several points I've heard from other Tufts students. Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

This was really helpful! I read several informative posts on this site that made me sign up today. I noticed you didn't receive much gratitude for this post so I figured I'd add to it. Hope I don't seem like a creeper!
Thanks! Haha. I had forgotten I wrote that. Anyway, I will like to add that attendance is now mandatory. It changed my second year, and I think that change is here to stay for now.

Oh, and we do have a special species class now that focuses on exotics that all second year students take. There is also an exotics lab during rotations, and we just formed a partnership with the Jackson zoo. Still not a ton of exotic animal exposure, but the school is actively working to improve that. I've been able to learn a decent amount on exotics through the exotic animal club at the vet school (WEZAAM).

I was recently called off of the waitlist at U of Minnesota but I was originally accepted at Iowa! I was certain that I wanted to go to Iowa since the tuition is cheaper but now I am struggling! Is there anyone who can give me any idea how I should decide? :(

I was recently called off of the waitlist at U of Minnesota but I was originally accepted at Iowa! I was certain that I wanted to go to Iowa since the tuition is cheaper but now I am struggling! Is there anyone who can give me any idea how I should decide? :(
$$$$
I've heard that UM is super expensive, even as an IS.

$$$$
I've heard that UM is super expensive, even as an IS.
Yeah :( that was my first decision factor because the tuition is about $8000 different per year. But I thought it might not be significant, and it seems like Iowa goes through its waitlist a lot, compare to other schools, so that made me wonder why :0

Yeah :( that was my first decision factor because the tuition is about $8000 different per year. But I thought it might not be significant, and it seems like Iowa goes through its waitlist a lot, compare to other schools, so that made me wonder why :0
Iowa goes through waitlists I believe because it's one of the cheaper OOS schools in the states.
And 8k/year doesn't seem like much, but over four years that's 32k in additional loans, not including the (what is it, %6)interest on those loans, which by my awful and probably way understated calculations is an additional 2k in interest. I'm really bad at the loan math stuff, but the less you have to take out for your education, the much better off future agisarang will be.

There are other schools that go through just as many, even though they may not advertise it (for example, Wis went through at least 80 something last year). Plus, I've heard (though it's rumor...) that ISU doesn't over-accept a lot of people up-front, so that could be another reason why.

To be honest, I wouldn't let the number of people that they go through on a waitlist deter you from a school.

Iowa goes through waitlists I believe because it's one of the cheaper OOS schools in the states.
And 8k/year doesn't seem like much, but over four years that's 32k in additional loans, not including the (what is it, %6)interest on those loans, which by my awful and probably way understated calculations is an additional 2k in interest. I'm really bad at the loan math stuff, but the less you have to take out for your education, the much better off future agisarang will be.
Yeah you are right... I was so sure that I wanted to go to Iowa when I visited there but all of sudden when I got an offer from Minnesota, I was like umm maybe $8000 is not too much. But Thanks! I really appreciate your input :)

There are other schools that go through just as many, even though they may not advertise it (for example, Wis went through at least 80 something last year). Plus, I've heard (though it's rumor...) that ISU doesn't over-accept a lot of people up-front, so that could be another reason why.

To be honest, I wouldn't let the number of people that they go through on a waitlist deter you from a school.
Yeah you are right! I think I just needed to hear other people's opinion on this to make sure my reasoning behind choosing a school is appropriate. Thank you so much :)

I would go to the school with a lower price tag. I love my school, I love PBL, all that jazz... I don't love the price tag. I actually like the exams being every 8 weeks spread over 10-14 days, but that's just me ;)

K State has a great program and has been around for a long while whereas Western is a pretty new school. If the price tags are the same, I'd go with K state since an older school usually means more scholarships and more opportunities from alumni. That's my generalized opinion, though.

We actually have a fairly equivalent amount of scholarships offered and scholarship money awarded, as far as I know.

I LOVED UMN but chose Illinois over it because of a 5k difference. I know it's not much but I figured hey that's an extra 5k I could use on something I want (like a vacation). Also, look at cost of living. That figured into my thought process too and made a huge difference. And one last thing idk if Iowa charges for that last summer in clinics but Minnesota does.

This being said, if I didn't like Illinois, I would've gone with UMN. But if you can see yourself happy and fine at a lower cost school, I would go there even if the difference is not much.

Good luck, it's a tough decision!

I would agree with the opinion that if you can see yourself being comfortable at and succeeding at Iowa, then the cheaper school is a wise choice. You will get a good education no matter what school you go to, it just needs to feel right to you. As someone with close to $200,000 in loans currently, I will say 5k a year is a big deal.

I would agree with the opinion that if you can see yourself being comfortable at and succeeding at Iowa, then the cheaper school is a wise choice. You will get a good education no matter what school you go to, it just needs to feel right to you. As someone with close to $200,000 in loans currently, I will say 5k a year is a big deal.
Thank you so much for your advice! I really can see myself happy learning at Iowa and I finally decided to go there too! :)

Thought I'd update for A&M since it hasn't been done since 2008 (that I saw, anyways). I'm only one semester in, so I plan on updating this as I go. Overall, very happy to be here. It's an amazing school with amazing faculty and amazing opportunities.

Pros:

- TONS of clubs (somewhere near 30), wetlabs, activities, class events, organized parties, intramural teams. There is always something going on and honestly, you'll probably be overwhelmed. In a good way. There is ALWAYS opportunities. You'll probably get 5 e-mails a week about a wetlab, palpation opportunity, research study, etc. Most, if not all, clubs organize a field trip once a semester. Sometimes it's in town, much of the time it's about ~1-2 hours from C-Stat.

- Parking is right next to the school. There's Lot 36, Lot 37, and Lot 71. Lot 71 currently accepts any pass, so if you don't get one of the these 3 specific passes, you can still be within short walking distance. However, these lots are available to everyone, so you may have to wait a bit to get the lot you want.

- You get a little key fob thing that lets you have 24-hour access into the school.

- There are infinite possibilities for mentors, even outside of the Mentor/Mentee program and the assigned faculty mentors. Granted, you have to find these people on your own time, but it's not that difficult. I've found a lab animal, food animal, wildlife, exotics (avian), and public health mentor so far. As for the Mentor/Mentee program, it's mostly great (see negative). There's the opportunity to get back old quizzes, tests, notes, and so forth. The assigned faculty mentors can also be mostly great. You get treated to a nice meal 3-4 times a semester.

-We have some amazing professors and clinicians. I've had clinicians that will consult with me on my pets for no fee, which has been super helpful. Same goes for professors. Most professors will move mountains to make sure you succeed. We also have people who literally wrote the book on certain subjects. Pretty awesome.

- Any kind of field within the profession that you are interested in--A&M has it. I've yet to find someone who wanted to pursue a certain path that couldn't find guidance or a professor/clinician that was happy to take them under their wing.

-Hands on experience pretty much starting week one, thanks to clinical correlates. You learn to place catheters, draw blood, do full physical exams, give vaccines, and practice basic suturing patterns.

-We have shared network where students add old material, course outlines, externship experiences, course material, etc. I love it. Also, most professors record their lectures via Camtasia. It's nice.

-Free counseling. I haven't used her, but I've heard good things from other classmates.

- We haven't been that lucky with our exam schedule this year, but it's usually no problem to go attend conferences/lectures/etc. during class time. We have the TVMA that holds a conference every year and is free to students (we're actually considered TVMA members right off the bat!) and is hosted in Arlington or College Station. .

- Weather is mostly fantastic (except when it rains and parts of campus flood).

- 2 hours from Austin, 1 hr from Houston, 3 hours from Dallas--so there's always a chance to "escape," if needed.

- Rent is low if you live with one or more people. I'll be living in a 2b/2ba apartment that's 2 mins. from the vet school next year for $500/mo ALL utilities included. Many classmates I know pay less than that.

- Plenty of places to board your horse. I can give you the names of places I'd recommend if you're interested.

-Building a BRAND NEW school that'll be complete May 2016 (boo, we only get to use it for one year). It's supposed to have a gym and food court, which'll be pretty sweet. It'll be right next to the Large Animal Hospital.

-On-site diagnostic laboratory (TVMDL) which is subsidized by the state, which = very affordable lab work. And it's right next to the school, though they are going to be building a new facility here soon...but it'll be just down the street.

Cons:

- We're transitioning over to take most everything (exams, assignments, quizzes) on ExamSoft. This is a con for me and not others. I just like traditional paper exams that won't glitch on me or break or whatever.

- School is shared with undergrads.

-Small Animal Hospital is still old and dungeon-like. No idea what the plans are for revamping or building a new hospital. I've heard that the Dean is working on a new facility, but who knows. There's some very expensive and sensitive equipment in the bowels of the hospital that can't be moved, so not sure how it'll all play out.

-The Mentor/Mentee program can be hit or miss. So mentors are amazing, while others haven't even met their mentee in person. It's kind of luck of the draw, I guess. I hope to be an awesome mentor to someone!

-Traffic for such a tiny town can be HORRENDOUS. Seriously. Too many people with too many cars for the amount of space. Expect lots of accidents.

THANKS for updating the list! All the pros sound wonderful. I'm so tempted to put all my eggs in this college station basket but I know I need to be realistic. Le sigh.

THANKS for updating the list! All the pros sound wonderful. I'm so tempted to put all my eggs in this college station basket but I know I need to be realistic. Le sigh.

You're welcome! A&M loves it's in-state students, so your chances can actually be pretty good. I was only really interested in A&M, so I put all my eggs in one basket! I wasn't even a very competitive applicant, if you ask me.

Here's the list updated with the Tufts information. Sorry it's been a while.

Attachments

• Factors When Picking a School.docx
    105.3 KB · Views: 400
Florida Update:

Parking now BLOWS. :mad:
Buy a scooter and hope it doesn't pour. :mad:
It's the worst.. It's better right now bc there's no classes, just the 2017ers on clinics, but I am dreading the incoming class starting and 2016 returning.

OhSU students - Is it true that Columbus has a pitt bull ban? heard that somewhere, but can't verify....(that would be bad for me :( )

also, people keep saying a small class size is good...but don't you kind of get tired of the same people all the time? what makes it good, aside from it being a little easier to get to know your teachers?

I'm currently a senior at OSU for undergrad and I've never heard of Columbus having a pitt bull ban. Is that even legal lol? I'm not sure if you are talking about the city or just campus, but either way I don't think so. I've seen a lot of pitts in my time here, including on campus. My dog has played with pitts on the oval so if there is a ban, it isn't strict. I do know that a lot of realtors have "aggressive breed restrictions" but you can definitely find places that don't. Even if you fall in love with a place that does though, you can just say she's a mutt. Most don't even know the difference. I have a friend with a pitt that told the owner it was a lab mix lol.

I'm currently a senior at OSU for undergrad and I've never heard of Columbus having a pitt bull ban. Is that even legal lol? I'm not sure if you are talking about the city or just campus, but either way I don't think so. I've seen a lot of pitts in my time here, including on campus. My dog has played with pitts on the oval so if there is a ban, it isn't strict. I do know that a lot of realtors have "aggressive breed restrictions" but you can definitely find places that don't. Even if you fall in love with a place that does though, you can just say she's a mutt. Most don't even know the difference. I have a friend with a pitt that told the owner it was a lab mix lol.
The post you replied to is from 2008! :)