Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
The fact that you consider you used it a long time ago, makes me feel old because I remember it.

You're totally an old fart. I think my first animated avvie was the stretching cat... then this... Then maybe Dexter... Then Flight of the Conchords? Hah. Do you remember Calvin and Hobbes? That would make you certifiably ancient.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're totally an old fart. I think my first animated avvie was the stretching cat... then this... Then maybe Dexter... Then Flight of the Conchords? Hah. Do you remember Calvin and Hobbes? That would make you certifiably ancient.
I liked kitten mittens the best.

I don't even know what's up with my avatar. It must have been from a WW game back in the day, but I dunno what it is.
I used to always have some sort of baby native wildlife.

I liked kitten mittens the best.

I don't even know what's up with my avatar. It must have been from a WW game back in the day, but I dunno what it is.
I used to always have some sort of baby native wildlife.

At this point, I'm picturing you as your avatar even though I know it isn't *quite* the right ethnicity... hah. Better than SOV assuming I am Dexter/Michael C. Hall based on my (GIF) avatar. :lame:

I forgot the Always Sunny one! I think I'll rotate through some old avvies for a while. It'll be fun. A little Jay and Silent Bob, a little X-Files, yanno.

Anybody know which schools won't even look at me because most of my pre-reqs are over 10 years old?

Or what to do about it?

For example: Ohio says that you either need to retake them or demonstrate an understanding of the subject material. I wrote an email asking what that meant, like will they take my high recent GRE scores to cover math and english? Do I need to write an essay on the impact of the Higgs Boson discovery to our understandings of gravitational physics? Do they have a test for me to take?

The reply was a form letter saying to make an appt with an advisor and likely it would be 4-6 weeks before they could get back to me. Can anybody answer while it's still relevant to this application cycle?

Take a look at the pre-requisites section on the pages of each school that you plan on applying to. Usually, if they want a course within the last 8-1o years, they'll say it explicitly. I know that for certain science classes, Illinois stipulates that they must have been taken within the last 8 years or so (I'd have to check again to know what, specifically). The reason schools ask this is probably because in constantly advancing subjects like the sciences, it's possible that they've changed a lot in the last 10 years. I imagine schools want to make sure that you have an understanding of current fundamental aspects of each field.

As someone decently well-versed with academic advising, I'd say that it's unlikely that you can "demonstrate understanding" by writing an essay. What they mean by that is probably by demonstrating that you have knowledge equivalent to, or beyond the introductory level required. A good example would be me. I'm a graduate student, so it's been quite a while since I took my last biology class. Say that school A thinks my introductory biology isn't current. I could likely demonstrate competency by demonstrating that I've taught introductory biology at the community college and university level for 2+ years. Or, consequently, if school B wanted your introductory physics to be current within 10 years, you could probably have that requirement waived if you were a graduate student or PhD candidate in physics.

I haven't personally applied to Ohio though, so I can't give an absolute answer. I hope what I did provide was helpful, though.

Anybody know which schools won't even look at me because most of my pre-reqs are over 10 years old?

Or what to do about it?

For example: Ohio says that you either need to retake them or demonstrate an understanding of the subject material. I wrote an email asking what that meant, like will they take my high recent GRE scores to cover math and english? Do I need to write an essay on the impact of the Higgs Boson discovery to our understandings of gravitational physics? Do they have a test for me to take?

The reply was a form letter saying to make an appt with an advisor and likely it would be 4-6 weeks before they could get back to me. Can anybody answer while it's still relevant to this application cycle?
Okstate requires less than ten years ( it may actually be 8, can't remember).

I saw 10, but the point is just that I'm an MS in repro phys/ embryology currently with a whole extra random year of nutrition, endocrinology and embryology. So I have recent coursework to point to for biology related pre-reqs, but I don't know what they might want for math and physics and I'm not about to go get a PhD in physics ;) My current plan is to get a PhD, and if they will finally let me into vet school, this is their last chance and I'll do the combo degree, but in dairy repro phys/ embryology. The website just made it sound like they had a form to fill out or something, which was why getting a form letter back that said nothing was so annoying.

I saw 10, but the point is just that I'm an MS in repro phys/ embryology currently with a whole extra random year of nutrition, endocrinology and embryology. So I have recent coursework to point to for biology related pre-reqs, but I don't know what they might want for math and physics and I'm not about to go get a PhD in physics ;) My current plan is to get a PhD, and if they will finally let me into vet school, this is their last chance and I'll do the combo degree, but in dairy repro phys/ embryology. The website just made it sound like they had a form to fill out or something, which was why getting a form letter back that said nothing was so annoying.
If for some reason they want physics and yours isn't current, you might solve this by enrolling in a cc course this fall. Obviously that'd suck because it's extra money, so hopefully you can get that waived.

Also, you may want to read the fine print. I'm not absolutely sure about your schools, but at many of the ones I applied to, that stipulation was only for chemistry and biology, not physics and non-science prerequisites. With your MS, you've been doing plenty of chemistry and bio to demonstrate you understand the fundamentals.

Or what to do about it?

When you emailed them to clarify about the 10 year rule, were you just asking for a general clarification or did you ask about your specific situation? You'll probably get a clearer response if you write something like: "I took Calculus I and II in Fall 2003 and Spring 2004 and received B+'s in both classes. While I haven't taken a math class since then, I have utilized this information during my Masters studies in repro phys/ embryology and believe that there is no need for me to retake a math course. Will my Calculus I and II from 2003 and 2004 along with my Masters work suffice for the Math pre-requisite?"

If you're specific about which pre-reqs are older than 10 years and then explain why you think the 10 year rule shouldn't apply to you, I think that's all they're looking for. They don't want to answer general questions for things like this because it is something that really depends on the situation and the individual, so a general answer won't do. I don't, however, think there is any test or essay they want you to provide to show them your competence. I think they mean that if you can make a case that your coursework or employment has utilized the concepts from the courses you took more than 10 years ago, then they'll consider waiving the 10 year rule. If you do plan on applying without retaking an older course, make sure you email them about that specific case before applying so that you have it in writing that they said it is ok.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I just saw a general sentence about prerequisites needing to be within 10 years or they would need retake unless you could prove competency. I assumed it meant all the pre-reqs since it was written as a blanket statement. I kept digging and kept coming up with a form to evaluate classes you are currently enrolled in (I don't think that applies) and told to email them with questions. So I did and got the same sentence, plus a please schedule comment and got frustrated. We have to move at the end of the month, so I'm kinda juggling too much to think straight between moving me and hubby and kids and farm and finishing my last paper and looking at places to live and trying to find temporary boarding and visiting the children's hospital and on and on and on ;) So I figured just come here and somebody could calm my jangled nerves.

Would anyone be able to provide some pros and cons for Midwestern? @Fly Racing? I'm applying for this cycle and curious to know more about the curriculum, student life, what Glendale is like, etc.

Would anyone be able to provide some pros and cons for Midwestern? @Fly Racing? I'm applying for this cycle and curious to know more about the curriculum, student life, what Glendale is like, etc.

Hey, I live in Phoenix. I don't know much about Midwestern's students, but Glendale is awesome! It's cheap to live there, and it's right outside of Phoenix (major metro area). So, there's sporting events (MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL) , lots of excellent hiking around, concerts galore, museums, festivals, great variety of restaurants. It does get really hot here from May-Sept, but the rest of the year's weather is perfect :D

For the schools that do interview invites so early, they have to send it based on your application as they see it.. So my question is, how many pending classes that are required prereqs do people usually have left to take (including fall semester)?

For the schools that do interview invites so early, they have to send it based on your application as they see it.. So my question is, how many pending classes that are required prereqs do people usually have left to take (including fall semester)?
Certain schools have limits on how many prereqs you can have still outstanding at the time of application. This is my last semester and I just applied with 12 credits of prerequistes for some schools currently in progress (genetics, physio, and biochem). It depends on the school how many you can have still in progress or planning to undertake in spring.

Thanks for the feedback! I have 20 credits of science prereqs including this fall to take. I got a rejection interview email from a school already (meaning I didn't get to interview) and I'm trying to see if that could be it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I have 20 credits of science prereqs including this fall to take. I got a rejection interview email from a school already (meaning I didn't get to interview) and I'm trying to see if that could be it?

You should see if they can do a file/application review for you. They will tell you what you can work on for next cycle.

It really depends do on the school. 20 credits of prereqs does seem like quite a bit to have left though. Like kata said though, a file review is never a bad idea!

It really depends do on the school. 20 credits of prereqs does seem like quite a bit to have left though. Like kata said though, a file review is never a bad idea!

I think the highest I've heard you could have outstanding is 12 (3 classes, give or take).

I think the highest I've heard you could have outstanding is 12 (3 classes, give or take).
It definitely depends on the school. I applied a year early so I had 9-14 credits of pre-reqs left depending on the school, but I also made sure to check the websites beforehand to look at the restrictions to apply to schools that would be okay with it. I think only two of the 5 schools I applied had a stipulation on it at all (Like only 2 outstanding science classes in the fall etc.), but it personally didn't seem to matter in the long run application wise as long as I didn't exceed the amount they restricted.

Don't forget the one with the guy who lost his balance and fell in a pond, after trying to push his dog in with his foot.

I'm new to SDN and I'm wondering if there is a place for people who just got accepted in the last couple of years can post pros and cons about the school even if its already come up here years ago. Or is this the only place? Kind of wish there were some newer posts about schools I am looking into like OSU (Oregon not Ohio), WSU, and CSU :whistle:

Last edited:
Welcome to SDN! :joyful: Cute pibbles in your avatar! I used to have pit bulls and Amstaffs.

I'm new to SDN and I'm wondering if there is a place for people who just got accepted in the last couple of years can post pros and cons about the school even if its already come up here years ago. Or is this the only place? Kind of wish there were some newer posts about schools I am looking into like OSU (Oregon not Ohio), WSU, and CSU :whistle:
There is. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pros-cons-of-schools.891249/ may help. Also, many of the previous years school specific threads may have good information. You may also try posting in a school specific thread for this year to try and get some answers (many current students visit those threads to share information).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/osu-vs-csu.913215/#post-12507664 specifically addresses CSU

WSU and CSU
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/wsu-vs-csu.1123569/#post-16242177

I wasn't sure where to post this question so this seemed like a good place. Would a vet student with goals of getting board certified be better off attending a school with 2 years of clinicals? I may try to pursue a surgery residency after vet school and am wondering if the extra time in clinicals would allow me more time to perhaps gain a competitive edge over those with only 1 year of clinicals.

I wasn't sure where to post this question so this seemed like a good place. Would a vet student with goals of getting board certified be better off attending a school with 2 years of clinicals? I may try to pursue a surgery residency after vet school and am wondering if the extra time in clinicals would allow me more time to perhaps gain a competitive edge over those with only 1 year of clinicals.
I honestly can't imagine that it would make a difference. I think what you do outside of vet school (networking, extracurriculars, etc) would have more of an impact (plus GPA and how you do in your classes).

I keep getting told by vets/vet school students to just go to the cheapest one. Whether a school teaches a certain way (PBL), allows or doesn't allow for tracking, has a high case load etc pales in comparison to saving $60k. Since I can't say for sure what area of veterinary medicine I would end up in, the most important factors for me have been cost and location (prefer city life and near my family). But I've felt like I'm missing something/not thinking of things deeply enough. However, then would I really spend 40k more for "a good fit", for higher case loads in the hospital, for tracking vs. not...? I don't think so..

if i got 7 interviews, is it worth doing all of them to see how much financial aid i would get? I got into my instate but if cost is such a big factor, should I do all interviews in the chance that I may be given aid to make up for the difference...? i didn't think vet schools would give that much aid to make up for the difference but i don't know.

if i got 7 interviews, is it worth doing all of them to see how much financial aid i would get? I got into my instate but if cost is such a big factor, should I do all interviews in the chance that I may be given aid to make up for the difference...? i didn't think vet schools would give that much aid to make up for the difference but i don't know.
Financial aid/scholarships are pretty rare, especially ones that significantly decrease the COA for a particular school. I would do all the interviews you can since an interview isn't an acceptance, and see where you get in to evaluate from there, but I wouldn't expect for cost to change much.

Unless the difference between your in state and the out of state school is $10,000 per year or less, I highly doubt financial aid/scholarships will make up that difference. Even that is sketchy. If you have an IS acceptance in your hand already, either call up admissions to ask how much grants/scholarships is typically possible for their OOS students (I doubt you'll get a great answer), cancel them all, or just keep interviews for the schools that are cheap to get to or that in your heart of hearts you might actually prefer to go over your IS. The interview process is by far the most expensive part of your application. No need to waste that money waiting for them to offer you $50-200k in aid.

Thank you for the advice! As current vet students, how important do you think factors, like if a vet school makes you track, case load in hospital, professor enthusiasm, hands-on opportunities in the curriculum early on, are compared to saving $40-60k over the 4 years? Should they really be "deciding factors" or "fluffy/nice to haves", while cost is really the deciding factor?

I have several areas of interest so a curriculum like Kansas for example would help me because they don't have tracking. At the moment, I think I would really like to learn more about different areas than be forced to choose a track. Then, I could keep my options open. But who knows... Maybe in the first two years, I will discover my path and be able to happily choose a track. On the other hand, maybe I won't find my path and will feel very forced when choosing a track and eventually feel cornered into an area that I regret. Is this an accurate idea of how tracking works? Would you spend the extra $50k on a school just so you would have more electives, not track as much?

Anything I say is a tad hypocritical, because I'll be going to a rather expensive school (happened to be the only one I applied to that accepted me), but you can't think of that $50k difference as just that. Because it's not - it's $50k plus whatever interest that extra cost accrues before you can pay it off or have it forgiven or whatever. If you end up doing IBR or PAYE it's an extra amount that determines how much you'll be taxed when it is forgiven. So the financial aspect should absolutely be your most important consideration. Even if you have to track, there's always the opportunity for getting experience in other areas on externships , and if you're paying less for school you'll probably been in a better place financially to do those externships, or to do an internship after school if you want.

Thank you for the advice! As current vet students, how important do you think factors, like if a vet school makes you track, case load in hospital, professor enthusiasm, hands-on opportunities in the curriculum early on, are compared to saving $40-60k over the 4 years? Should they really be "deciding factors" or "fluffy/nice to haves", while cost is really the deciding factor?
Cost should be the deciding factor so long as the other factors aren't make or break it points with you. For example, if you apply to Minnesota but refuse to even consider going to a school with cold snowy winters, well you wasted your money on applying there even if it is the most cost-friendly option to you (which is itself unlikely; MN tuition is stupid high). If the difference in tuition is only a few hundred dollars a year, okay then look at other factors. But also take into account things like transportation costs, rent costs for the area, etc.

I have several areas of interest so a curriculum like Kansas for example would help me because they don't have tracking. At the moment, I think I would really like to learn more about different areas than be forced to choose a track. Then, I could keep my options open. But who knows... Maybe in the first two years, I will discover my path and be able to happily choose a track. On the other hand, maybe I won't find my path and will feel very forced when choosing a track and eventually feel cornered into an area that I regret. Is this an accurate idea of how tracking works? Would you spend the extra $50k on a school just so you would have more electives, not track as much?
Personally I love tracking. I wish it would go even deeper and more specific, but alas the profession isn't ready for that yet. Tracking at least at MN means that spring semester 3rd year, instead of essentially being handed your schedule (with maybe 1-2 elective courses) you basically get to pick the classes you want. And if you don't know what you want to focus on yet you choose the "Mixed" track and basically can do whatever interests you (including everything, if you hate yourself). I definitely have never thought of tracking as a negative, but I also came into vet school pretty much knowing exactly what I wanted to do. Having a mixed track though I think takes care of the people who are still unsure. But maybe that's just me.

I can't speak for other schools but Purdue does offer tracking and we have the option to choose a "Mixed Animal" track, which includes all animals and can be thought of as a "traditional" vet education. You should call and ask the school or their current students and see if the schools you're interested offer a broad track.

If I was in your shoes, I would choose the in-state. It would be almost impossible to get enough aid to make up the tuition difference, and like you said, there isn't all that much aid out there. Unless there is another reason you would prefer one of your OOS schools.

I was going to say that I don't think you really need to be worried about tracking because as far as I know every school that does tracking has a mixed animal option. I personally love tracking, I know that I never want to work with cows, sheep, horses or pigs, so I get to now focus my education on what will be important for my career, the small animals. However tracking doesn't take away from those who still aren't sure, they can track mixed and basically set their schedule as they want.

1. Case load. Obviously the more cases, the more you see. However, you are also busier. If I'm slammed with patients it is more difficult to be able to take part in all of their diagnostics. Just this week I missed the ultrasound on my one patient and the echo on another patient. I discussed them later with the clinicians but seeing them as they occur is just better. There is a fine balance and once you are hitting a certain number of patients and thus a longer, say 16 or more hour work day, you become exhausted. You don't learn as well when exhausted. So there are pluses and minuses. Also, case load varies. A service can be insanely busy for one group of people and then be dead for the next group. And there is no determining when the service will be busy vs. not busy.

2. Professor enthusiasm. Ummm, well, enthusiasm in what? I'm assuming teaching students. This just depends on the individual. You'll get some professors that are not enthusiastic and some that are. Most are in between. This won't be school dependent just individual personality dependent.

3. Tracking, I mentioned above. I love it.

4. Almost every school, I'd actually probably say every school, allows for "hands on" early. Usually via clinical skills labs. They teach restraint, bold draws, catheter placement, suturing, surgery, etc. Most schools have a junior surgery course where you are doing at a minimum, spays and neuters. Those who spew off that they "love their school for hands on experience that you can only get here" make me roll my eyes. These experiences occur at every school. Schools also have wet labs via clubs that allow for more hands on. You can also be proactive and do externships in the first few years to get more hands on.

Overall, I don't think the above things are anything to spend 50K + interest on. Most veterinary schools are very similar.