Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Ironically i will be applying to both this year!

The schools that allow you to FOR SURE apply for and get IS tuition after your 1st year:
-Ohio State (you cannot leave Ohio for more than 30 days the first year, and no more than 14 days at a time). If you do this you'll 99% get IS tuition.
-Missouri
-Washington
-North Carolina

Schools you can possibly get IS tuition at but regarding a few things:
-UC Davis
-Minnesota

Cheapest OOS schools' OOS tuition: (I live in CA)
-Wisconsin
-Texas
-Oklahoma
-Lincoln Memorial
-Oregon
-Auburn
All above are less than $175,000 tuition ONLY.

All others are $180,000 +
WOW! That's really cool! I did not know that! Price was definitely a factor to me (I'm from Texas and was raised as a UT Longhorn- so Texas A&M was always a hesitation. (But I went to a summer vet camp and found that it wasn't for me- so it's not like I'm not going solely because of my upbringing). Thank you PreVetMed!

I did the math, and with OOS tuition my first year and IS my following 3 years at both schools, NCSU is about $69,500 cheaper than Ohio State (I also factored in living expenses and supply fees). I know Ohio is fairly easy to get IS tuition and the vast majority of students obtain it fairly easily. Is this also true of NCSU? Does anyone familiar with the schools have any input for the schools aside from financial? Maybe housing or quality of education? I'm planning on going into mixed practice but I am most interested in large animal. I just want to make sure I make the right decision. I'm living in Ohio now for undergrad so I have seen OSU, and I am hoping to visit NCSU for their admitted students event on April 1st.
Thanks so much for the help:)

If you live in Ohio now for undergrad, wouldn't you get IS for all four years at Ohio then?

Hi everyone. I was wondering if current students at Ohio State or at Tennessee have any in sight for what makes their school stand out and why you chose that school. The difference comes down to a little over $10,000 financially so it's not a large difference when i'm going to be paying a large amount regardless. Any OOS students opinion on choosing over IS or over another school? Any advice on helping make a decision would be helpful. I would just really love some insight from current students at each of the programs. Preferably OOS students
Is that accounting for Ohio letting you switch to IS tuition after the first year? Because I feel like that price difference should definitely be higher over all 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you live in Ohio now for undergrad, wouldn't you get IS for all four years at Ohio then?
Not if you only moved there for school and/or your parents live in another state and you are still considered a dependent

Is that accounting for Ohio letting you switch to IS tuition after the first year? Because I feel like that price difference should definitely be higher over all 4 years.
That is including becoming IS to Ohio. I've looked over multiple years so my math may be slightly off but I do know tuition ALONE not including COA is cheaper at Ohio State

That is including becoming IS to Ohio. I've looked over multiple years so my math may be slightly off but I do know tuition ALONE not including COA is cheaper at Ohio State
Ohio:
1st year: $68k
2nd: $30k
3rd: $30k
4th: $45k
Total: $173k

UTK:
About $53k all 4 years
Total: $212k

So that's more like a $40k difference over 4 years. Add in interest and that's a pretty big chunk of money. So I would say that should be your biggest consideration. You do need to factor in fees and cost of living to really get an accurate picture of the financial situation though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ohio:
1st year: $67.6k
2nd: $30k
3rd: $30k
4th: $35.2k
Total: $162.8k

UTK:
About $53k all 4 years
Total: $212k

So that's more like a $50k difference over 4 years. Add in interest and that's a pretty huge chunk of money. So I would say that should be your biggest consideration.

Tuition is 50% higher the fourth year, because of the summer semester between third and fourth. Make sure you factor that into your calculations, because I believe these figures are the older, pro-rated numbers.

Tuition is 50% higher the fourth year, because of the summer semester between third and fourth. Make sure you factor that into your calculations, because I believe these figures are the older, pro-rated numbers.
Edited, thanks!

i have some pretty significant factors to consider. After waitlisted and doing all there was to do on my file review I was rejected by my IS twice now. Those people plain don't like me so I wouldn't put my eggs in the IS basket.
I was lucky enough to get accepted to 2 OOS schools. Now I go back and forth daily if I should stay or go. Now before someone gets up n arms about looking a gift horse in the mouth the reality is I was pretty low from my experience with my IS school. I didn't think I had a shot no matter where I applied. Here I get in, and I have a choice! Who knew??
Like I said I've got some different factors to consider. I have 2 kids, one is 10months. The idea of moving anywhere away from a support system with a baby is daunting. I've done it already once. It's not fun. I can decide to go with the school that's closer but $50k more or the school that's shiny but 8hrs away and if something happens I'm definitely stuck. I also have a job that after I lose 4yrs of income and go $250-300k in debt my income ceiling realistically only goes up maybe $50k??
Oh did I mention I'll be in mid 40's by the time I graduate. So my dream is private practice but with two kids and my age I've got everything going in the wrong direction.
But if I was mid twenties even thirties, I would bounce out of here so fast. Because any time you have a chance to be a doctor you should take it! You'll just blow that money somewhere anyway. Trust me. (I did) Just go. You'll always be able to get a good paying job. If SO is meant to stay they will. I've been separated from mine plenty and he's still here. It annoys me he won't follow me to vet school but 4yrs is a short time. And over 20-30yrs the difference in $30-40k is nothing

i have some pretty significant factors to consider. After waitlisted and doing all there was to do on my file review I was rejected by my IS twice now. Those people plain don't like me so I wouldn't put my eggs in the IS basket.
I was lucky enough to get accepted to 2 OOS schools. Now I go back and forth daily if I should stay or go. Now before someone gets up n arms about looking a gift horse in the mouth the reality is I was pretty low from my experience with my IS school. I didn't think I had a shot no matter where I applied. Here I get in, and I have a choice! Who knew??
Like I said I've got some different factors to consider. I have 2 kids, one is 10months. The idea of moving anywhere away from a support system with a baby is daunting. I've done it already once. It's not fun. I can decide to go with the school that's closer but $50k more or the school that's shiny but 8hrs away and if something happens I'm definitely stuck. I also have a job that after I lose 4yrs of income and go $250-300k in debt my income ceiling realistically only goes up maybe $50k??
Oh did I mention I'll be in mid 40's by the time I graduate. So my dream is private practice but with two kids and my age I've got everything going in the wrong direction.
But if I was mid twenties even thirties, I would bounce out of here so fast. Because any time you have a chance to be a doctor you should take it! You'll just blow that money somewhere anyway. Trust me. (I did) Just go. You'll always be able to get a good paying job. If SO is meant to stay they will. I've been separated from mine plenty and he's still here. It annoys me he won't follow me to vet school but 4yrs is a short time. And over 20-30yrs the difference in $30-40k is nothing
Wow, I understand your SO not wanting to move with you to vet school, but he's ok with you taking the kids with you? Eek!

Wow, I understand your SO not wanting to move with you to vet school, but he's ok with you taking the kids with you? Eek!
See I get his point...it's crazy for both of us to quit our jobs and move somewhere with 2 kids and zero income. If he stays here there's a chance he can send some money my way. He doesn't have any education (8th grade) so although he's one of the hardest working people I know, he's Limited on good paying jobs. He's a blacksmith & has some really good accounts here. Right now, he has a stable of 80+ head. It's great because he doesn't have to drive all over creation doing a horse here and there and they pay every week. I saw a track in Iowa, but I think they only race 2 months out of the year. It's a bear to get established in a new track, especially since you usually pick up all the people no one else wants to shoe for. Illinois...the tracks are in Chicago which is a 2!hour drive, might as well stay here & their racing is about caput anyway.
The baby has to come with me, but
Actually there's been talk of splitting the kids too. I take the baby,he takes the older. Part of me dares to think I'd like to leave them both here, atleast til I get settled wherever I'm at for a couple/few months but if he has both kids 1) he can't get enough work done 2) I'm afraid I'll mentally scar the baby disappearing on her.
The whole idea of splitting everyone up is heartbreaking if you see how we all get along right now. He really enjoys the baby & the two kids play together really better than I ever expected.
He's not happy about any of it, but he knows how important this is to me so he's being very careful not to sway me one way or another. (Go/not go/where to go) He did make mention Champaign is the better choice because it would easier for him to commute more often. Which Is true but something about Champaign makes me uneasy. I guess I don't like 90% of the info I've gotten has been on here or what I shook out of the students interveiw day. I mean they don't even have their tuition for the coming year posted. I'm going to have to call and ask. Anyway..
The older is 9. She doesn't do well with change. I've kinda given her a choice (not sure if I should have or not) She's a huge help with the baby. It would be nice to bring her with me, but not fair to dump that kind of pressure on her. Also, like I said she's sensitive & I can be rotten when I'm stressed, or tired, or Hangry...she just takes every little thing to heart even if it's hey pick up your socks.
On the other hand, dad doesn't do well with crisis. He kinda freaks out. He's also technologically challenged. Anything done online is all on me & this includes most school things. So if I'm 8hrs away & something happens it could get interesting.

I'm looking for some info on Iowa State. Its been awhile since I went on my tour and maybe I didn't think to ask these things while I was there.
-what is the climate of the student body there? Competitive or colleagues?
-curriculum..systems based? PBL?
-tests..are they spaced out well or is it luck of the draw?
-supportive of non traditional students?
Are there many/any there?
-do you get any animal experience before year 4? what animal experience is worked into the curriculum before that or is it just assumed you'll have time for clubs.
- speaking of which, how much extra time do the clubs take? When do they meet?
That's all I can think of right now

Hey, I just saw this and it looks like you didn't get any answers yet, so here's my take as a Cyclone:

Students are more collaborative than competitive. My class has a FB page for studying, and there's a wiki, and people share their quizlets/study guides/etc.
PBL is incorporated into a lot of classes, though the curriculum as a whole is systems-based.
The profs try to space out tests as much as possible, but sometimes you end up with 3 big ones in a week and there's no way around that. They actually let us vote on whether to move test dates at the beginning of the semester if there's a week or two that looks too crowded.
Very supportive of non-trads! I'm one. Yes, the class is mostly youngsters, but there are enough of us older folks that I don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Many of my classmates have kids. There is a club for spouses/partners/significant others of vet students, which is a great support network.
Hands-on animal experience before year 4 is limited, unless you join clubs or take a part-time job. First year has a few labs doing physical exams and blood draws on live dogs, second year gives you the chance to take a few electives that might have a lab or two with live animals, and then third year you get to do junior surgery with live animals, and a lot more electives.
Clubs don't take any more time than you want them to. If you just want to be a member, you pay dues, and then you get access to that club's wetlabs and meetings. Each club holds at least two, sometimes up to six wetlabs per year, where you get more hands-on experience with animals. Clubs also allow you to be involved in short shifts in the small animal ICU or equine emergencies/foal watch. Meetings are held over the noon lunch hour so you get fed, and they're optional so you can attend as many or as few as you want.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions, or just want more detailed answers.

Hey, I just saw this and it looks like you didn't get any answers yet, so here's my take as a Cyclone:

Students are more collaborative than competitive. My class has a FB page for studying, and there's a wiki, and people share their quizlets/study guides/etc.
PBL is incorporated into a lot of classes, though the curriculum as a whole is systems-based.
The profs try to space out tests as much as possible, but sometimes you end up with 3 big ones in a week and there's no way around that. They actually let us vote on whether to move test dates at the beginning of the semester if there's a week or two that looks too crowded.
Very supportive of non-trads! I'm one. Yes, the class is mostly youngsters, but there are enough of us older folks that I don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Many of my classmates have kids. There is a club for spouses/partners/significant others of vet students, which is a great support network.
Hands-on animal experience before year 4 is limited, unless you join clubs or take a part-time job. First year has a few labs doing physical exams and blood draws on live dogs, second year gives you the chance to take a few electives that might have a lab or two with live animals, and then third year you get to do junior surgery with live animals, and a lot more electives.
Clubs don't take any more time than you want them to. If you just want to be a member, you pay dues, and then you get access to that club's wetlabs and meetings. Each club holds at least two, sometimes up to six wetlabs per year, where you get more hands-on experience with animals. Clubs also allow you to be involved in short shifts in the small animal ICU or equine emergencies/foal watch. Meetings are held over the noon lunch hour so you get fed, and they're optional so you can attend as many or as few as you want.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions, or just want more detailed answers.

Thanks so much! All of that is very helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm curious if anyone knows which schools have a larger emphasis on public health in the curriculum? I know VMRCVM has its own track for PH are there other schools out there that have something similar? Any schools in any location that anyone knows about would be great! Thanks!

So I have about 17 days (until April 15th) to make a decision for a school, and I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me most updated pros and cons of

The Ohio State University (OOS)
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (OOS)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (IS)

I have been going back and forth like crazy to a point where I may have panic attacks about choosing a school.. I know a lot of people will say go to in-state, but my parents are willing to support if we all believe one school has clear benefit (in terms of getting a job, internship/residency--I will be most likely looking for internship/residency, etc) over the other. Not to say that I wish for my parents to pay that much money for me, but they are adamant in financially supporting me regardless of which school I go to and would like me to consider which school will allow most experiences, networking, and clinical skills necessary for securing a good job.

D: Not sure what to do..

So I have about 17 days (until April 15th) to make a decision for a school, and I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me most updated pros and cons of

I have been going back and forth like crazy to a point where I may have panic attacks about choosing a school.. I know a lot of people will say go to in-state, but my parents are willing to support if we all believe one school has clear benefit (in terms of getting a job, internship/residency--I will be most likely looking for internship/residency, etc) over the other. Not to say that I wish for my parents to pay that much money for me, but they are adamant in financially supporting me regardless of which school I go to and would like me to consider which school will allow most experiences, networking, and clinical skills necessary for securing a good job.

While I don't know much about those schools specifically, I'm pretty sure that there's not going to be a significant difference in any of those things you mentioned. Curriculums may be different, but you're going to have networking and experience opportunities wherever you go, and it's going to be up to you to take hold of those opportunities. This is kind of why the financial aspect is the biggest factor...because that's the big lasting difference between the schools. A lot of the rest of it ends up being up to what you make of your time there.

Reactions: 2 users
While I don't know much about those schools specifically, I'm pretty sure that there's not going to be a significant difference in any of those things you mentioned. Curriculums may be different, but you're going to have networking and experience opportunities wherever you go, and it's going to be up to you to take hold of those opportunities. This is kind of why the financial aspect is the biggest factor...because that's the big lasting difference between the schools. A lot of the rest of it ends up being up to what you make of your time there.

Thank you! That has been majority of responses I've gotten from people. It has been difficult to convince my parents that, but with the help of people on SDN, I think they've come to realize the reality of financial aspect and the fact that it is up to how I do in school rather than which school I go to! :) thanks, this really helped a lot!

So I'm curious if anyone knows which schools have a larger emphasis on public health in the curriculum? I know VMRCVM has its own track for PH are there other schools out there that have something similar? Any schools in any location that anyone knows about would be great! Thanks!
I can't speak for other schools, but Iowa State has a required public health course during the second year. It's integrated into a lot of other classes as well, and there is a fourth year rotation in public health. They also have a dual degree program with University of Iowa that lets you complete an MPH basically online, so that you graduate as a DVM/MPH.

I can't speak for other schools, but Iowa State has a required public health course during the second year. It's integrated into a lot of other classes as well, and there is a fourth year rotation in public health. They also have a dual degree program with University of Iowa that lets you complete an MPH basically online, so that you graduate as a DVM/MPH.
Thank you for the info! I am currently completing my MPH. Still not 100% what I want to do with my life:unsure:, but I know I'm interested in preventative medicine.

Ohio state will let you switch over to IS tuition after the first year.

Ohio state will let you switch over to IS tuition after the first year.

I am aware. Unfortunately, Cost of Attendance is still cheaper at my in-state school.. plus, I did not want to worry about going through the process of obtaining in-state. I wanted to invest my time elsewhere! Thanks for the information though :)

Nope, I'm still classified as an out of state student because I didn't live off campus for a full year before I applied. If I would have lived off campus my junior year and stayed in Ohio for the summer I would have gotten IS. I didn't know that or I would have moved off campus, I figured I would get IS because I would live in Ohio for a full year before I started my term at OSU. But apparently you have to live there off campus for a full year before you apply.

Not sure if this is quite the right place, but I figured it's pretty close. I was wondering if anybody might be able to give me some advice with weeding UG, Wisconsin, and University of Illinois for emergency medicine, wildlife/exotic/zoo, and general likability, down to two schools? I know this is REALLY broad, perhaps too complicated, but I'd definitely appreciate ANY advice or experiences from people at/ or have gone to those schools. A bit of a background, I'm 24 coming out of working in the film industry for the last few years, and have a few years to go before I'm ready to apply. I'm really interested in emergency med and would love to do some sort of wildlife rehab on the side, either for pay or volunteer. I already have the three big schools that I'm targeting, but would like to have a solid five or six schools to apply to by the time I'm ready; Oregon is the other school that I'm considering as my fourth. Thanks again for any advice!

Not sure if this is quite the right place, but I figured it's pretty close. I was wondering if anybody might be able to give me some advice with weeding UG, Wisconsin, and University of Illinois for emergency medicine, wildlife/exotic/zoo, and general likability, down to two schools? I know this is REALLY broad, perhaps too complicated, but I'd definitely appreciate ANY advice or experiences from people at/ or have gone to those schools. A bit of a background, I'm 24 coming out of working in the film industry for the last few years, and have a few years to go before I'm ready to apply. I'm really interested in emergency med and would love to do some sort of wildlife rehab on the side, either for pay or volunteer. I already have the three big schools that I'm targeting, but would like to have a solid five or six schools to apply to by the time I'm ready; Oregon is the other school that I'm considering as my fourth. Thanks again for any advice!

are you a Georgia resident? If not I think there is a very low rate of acceptance for OOS students, which might be something to think about if determining where to apply.

are you a Georgia resident? If not I think there is a very low rate of acceptance for OOS students, which might be something to think about if determining where to apply.
No, I'm not. I'm actually oos at all but one school, Davis. And just doing the math, Georgia admissions for oos don't seem to be all that different from the abysmal acceptance rates of most of the other schools I'm interested in. But I definitely get where you're coming from.

If you're trying to weed them down I would look at finances first, and then at how well your application fits the particular schools. It would be a waste of money to apply to a school with very few OOS seats if your application isn't outstanding, for instance. You can post over in the What Are My Chances thread so people can get a look at your stats and maybe help figure out which of the three you're a good fit for. As far as tuition goes...
UGA: 44k
Illinois: 47k
Wisconsin: 36k

So the obvious choice there would be Wisconsin, and then UGA and Illinois are pretty close, so you'll want to look more into cost of living, as well as your chances of getting accepted by either one if you want to weed one out. Keep in mind though, Wisconsin is very difficult to get into OOS. The mean GPA for their OOS acceptances for the c/o 2019 was a 3.8.

Is there a reason to picking UG, Wis, or UofI over an in-state school (if you have one), or schools that allow you to change residency to IS after the first year (Mizzou, Ohio, NCSU, etc)?

If you reasoning to picking those three schools is that you think they will provide you with better Emergency/Wildlife experience, then I would personally choose the cheap/cheaper schools because every vet school will make you a competent veterinarian. You can get all sorts of experiences through clubs, externships, conferences, etc. Now if the reasoning is because you think your application fits these schools well or if there's a personal reason to pick that location then that's 100% A-OK, I was just curious about your thought process. :)

Reactions: 1 users
If you're trying to weed them down I would look at finances first, and then at how well your application fits the particular schools. It would be a waste of money to apply to a school with very few OOS seats if your application isn't outstanding, for instance. You can post over in the What Are My Chances thread so people can get a look at your stats and maybe help figure out which of the three you're a good fit for. As far as tuition goes...
UGA: 44k
Illinois: 47k
Wisconsin: 36k

So the obvious choice there would be Wisconsin, and then UGA and Illinois are pretty close, so you'll want to look more into cost of living, as well as your chances of getting accepted by either one if you want to weed one out. Keep in mind though, Wisconsin is very difficult to get into OOS. The mean GPA for their OOS acceptances for the c/o 2019 was a 3.8.

Definitely agree, Wisconsin is personally appealing on a financial basis as well as for their wildlife/exotics program. That being said, that 3.8 avg is definitely something I saw and am concerned about; not to mention the fact that as a southern california boy, I may well not make it through that first winter, haha. Illinois, offers similar interests as far as their wildlife/exotics opportunities, relatively easier mean GPA, but does still lie in that "latitude shock" zone; to be honest though if I get in, I'll go down to REI and do what I need to. I guess after looking at my original post and reading responses, I was curious if anyone had experience with what UGA's opportunities are like for wildlife/exotics? I've read through their website and looked through SDN a fair amount, and it seems they offer standard electives for wildlife/exotics. That being said, they are in close proximity to NC and UTK, which I know have a good number of opportunities in those areas. So, for those reasons, plus the fact that I know I can deal with a Georgian climate better than Wisconsin, I'm still looking at UGA.

Is there a reason to picking UG, Wis, or UofI over an in-state school (if you have one), or schools that allow you to change residency to IS after the first year (Mizzou, Ohio, NCSU, etc)?

If you reasoning to picking those three schools is that you think they will provide you with better Emergency/Wildlife experience, then I would personally choose the cheap/cheaper schools because every vet school will make you a competent veterinarian. You can get all sorts of experiences through clubs, externships, conferences, etc. Now if the reasoning is because you think your application fits these schools well or if there's a personal reason to pick that location then that's 100% A-OK, I was just curious about your thought process. :)

Hi Ashgirl,

Thanks for your input! I live in California right now, so Davis and Western are what I have to work with as far as in-state goes. Davis has all of the things I want/ am interested in, and I will definitely be applying when I'm ready; I still have at least two years to go to get my pre-reqs and a strong application. Hopefully no offense to anyone on here, but Western doesn't really interest me; plus with the tuition that they want and the fact that they're a fairly new university in an area where cost of living is relatively higher, I'm passing.

NCSU, and Ohio are my other two dream schools, for their wildlife/exotic, externship, and financial opportunities/benefits, and I will definitely be applying once I think I'm strong enough. Oregon is my definite/ strong fourth for similar reasons, unfortunately no residency change option there. Wis and UofI piqued my interest because of their wildlife programs and cost with the former. UGA is really the one that I'm interested in, but need to find out more about. I'd ideally like to have five maybe six schools to apply to, with at least two of those being relatively more friendly to oos applicants. From what I've come to understand, "back-up" schools don't really exist for DVM programs in the same way they do for undergrad, but I'm trying to find at least two that'll sort of hit that mark.

I've heard about Mizzou but honestly didn't look into their program all that much. I'll have to do some more research, so thanks for bringing them up!

No, I'm not. I'm actually oos at all but one school, Davis. And just doing the math, Georgia admissions for oos don't seem to be all that different from the abysmal acceptance rates of most of the other schools I'm interested in. But I definitely get where you're coming from.

Can anyone say how many OOS student GA accepts (that aren't from a contract state)? I'm recalling a number like... two? But it's been a while.

LSU was considering taking 25 OOS this year instead of 15 :nailbiting: I'm not sure if they'll end up doing it in subsequent years, but that's something to keep in mind for future hopeful Tigers!

LSU was considering taking 25 OOS this year instead of 15 :nailbiting: I'm not sure if they'll end up doing it in subsequent years, but that's something to keep in mind for future hopeful Tigers!
I hear that they're actually planning to renovate the classrooms to expand the class size (I think to around 120), and all the new seats will be OOS. That probably won't take effect until 2018 or so though.

I hear that they're actually planning to renovate the classrooms to expand the class size (I think to around 120), and all the new seats will be OOS. That probably won't take effect until 2018 or so though.

Whoa! Thats 31 more seats! So the class would be like 65 IS and 55 OOS!! I wonder if it's a byproduct of the budget situation, since OOS tuition is high there and they can make much more money off of them.

Yep, that is why.

If you look at status check, there are actually only 64 LA seats now! They took one away and put it in OOS. Makes me sad, since I am an LA alternate. At least I can go elsewhere :( It makes me wonder if AR seats will be affected.

If you look at status check, there are actually only 64 LA seats now! They took one away and put it in OOS. Makes me sad, since I am an LA alternate. At least I can go elsewhere :( It makes me wonder if AR seats will be affected.
I know, I thought of you when I saw that. :( I hear really awesome things about Mississippi though (but I know the oos tuition stings).

Not sure! I would imagine not, just because they get IS tuition and the money is in OOS lol. But maybe they'll add a couple of seats.

Definitely agree, Wisconsin is personally appealing on a financial basis as well as for their wildlife/exotics program. That being said, that 3.8 avg is definitely something I saw and am concerned about; not to mention the fact that as a southern california boy, I may well not make it through that first winter, haha. Illinois, offers similar interests as far as their wildlife/exotics opportunities, relatively easier mean GPA, but does still lie in that "latitude shock" zone; to be honest though if I get in, I'll go down to REI and do what I need to. I guess after looking at my original post and reading responses, I was curious if anyone had experience with what UGA's opportunities are like for wildlife/exotics? I've read through their website and looked through SDN a fair amount, and it seems they offer standard electives for wildlife/exotics. That being said, they are in close proximity to NC and UTK, which I know have a good number of opportunities in those areas. So, for those reasons, plus the fact that I know I can deal with a Georgian climate better than Wisconsin, I'm still looking at UGA.
My hesitation with Wisconsin is they are raising their tuition by 5k each year for 4 years, so that nice and cheap OoS tuition doesn't look so beautiful anymore (they decided to spring that upon us after they told us we were accepted last year when I applied)

Mississippi State is taking their OOS tuition up from $42k per year to $45k per year. And veterans no longer qualify for IS tuition. Eep!

My hesitation with Wisconsin is they are raising their tuition by 5k each year for 4 years, so that nice and cheap OoS tuition doesn't look so beautiful anymore (they decided to spring that upon us after they told us we were accepted last year when I applied)
I had completely forgotten about that whole situation

(they decided to spring that upon us after they told us we were accepted last year when I applied)

Hey. At least they told you flat out it was gonna go up each of four years. They could have just said "5k next year" and not mentioned the rest. Most schools wouldn't announce the increases that far out. Kudos to them for making the tuition picture clear for people.

Mississippi State is taking their OOS tuition up from $42k per year to $45k per year. And veterans no longer qualify for IS tuition. Eep!
That's sad that they're taking that away from veterans. We're a small percentage of applicants and it's awesome to see a university that holds their servicemembers in such high regard. Shame they're turning to greed. Another reason why I am thankful for UTK and their veteran waiver for IS tuition.

That's sad that they're taking that away from veterans. We're a small percentage of applicants and it's awesome to see a university that holds their servicemembers in such high regard. Shame they're turning to greed. Another reason why I am thankful for UTK and their veteran waiver for IS tuition.

Yeah, I hate it too. If you served, you sure as heck deserve that tuition break. But I think it's less of greed and more of budget problems. I got an email about it, and it had to do with some state legislation that passed, so I don't really think it's the school's choice. They even offered to refund the deposits of people who wanted to rescind their acceptance due to the change.

Yeah, I hate it too. If you served, you sure as heck deserve that tuition break. But I think it's less of greed and more of budget problems. I got an email about it, and it had to do with some state legislation that passed, so I don't really think it's the school's choice. They even offered to refund the deposits of people who wanted to rescind their acceptance due to the change.
yup. lots of schools being hit hard with state budget cuts. It is really awful and students are bearing the brunt of it. I imagine it will get worse before it gets better, so tuition is only going to go up every year for everyone. :(

I'd really need some time to peel through the legalspeak layers of the formal document (ya know, finals and all right now), but unless Mississippi State has an exemption (which I seriously doubt), then they are held to the bill signed into law effective 01JAN2016. "Requires public colleges to provide in-state tuition to veterans and eligible dependents in order for the school to remain eligible to receive G.I. Bill education payments."

There are a few stipulations that the veteran must meet, for example, must have served 90 consecutive days on active duty and been discharged no more than 3 years prior to enrolling in the public institution. There may be other loopholes that I'm not finding off of my quick 15 minute dig as well. These universities (University of Illinois is another off the top of my head) most likely have a legal team that is directing their administration on how to skirt this, but run it up the flagpole if you have concerns. Make sure to look at all of the requirements before causing a stink to alleviate egg on the face, but if you meet them and are at a public institution, then they are required by law to offer you IS tuition (says the self-proclaimed barracks lawyer). I understand budgets are getting cut and all that, but if it's owed to you due to your service (or the service of a deceased family member), then it really grinds my gears that schools are trying to stick it to the student veterans to fill that gap. Bite the bullet elsewhere (maybe decreasing some of those ridiculous salaries we know exist in the system).

Seriously though - look into it, get your ducks in a row and seek legal counsel if you believe you are getting a raw deal.

I'd really need some time to peel through the legalspeak layers of the formal document (ya know, finals and all right now), but unless Mississippi State has an exemption (which I seriously doubt), then they are held to the bill signed into law effective 01JAN2016. "Requires public colleges to provide in-state tuition to veterans and eligible dependents in order for the school to remain eligible to receive G.I. Bill education payments."

There are a few stipulations that the veteran must meet, for example, must have served 90 consecutive days on active duty and been discharged no more than 3 years prior to enrolling in the public institution. There may be other loopholes that I'm not finding off of my quick 15 minute dig as well. These universities (University of Illinois is another off the top of my head) most likely have a legal team that is directing their administration on how to skirt this, but run it up the flagpole if you have concerns. Make sure to look at all of the requirements before causing a stink to alleviate egg on the face, but if you meet them and are at a public institution, then they are required by law to offer you IS tuition (says the self-proclaimed barracks lawyer). I understand budgets are getting cut and all that, but if it's owed to you due to your service (or the service of a deceased family member), then it really grinds my gears that schools are trying to stick it to the student veterans to fill that gap. Bite the bullet elsewhere (maybe decreasing some of those ridiculous salaries we know exist in the system).

Seriously though - look into it, get your ducks in a row and seek legal counsel if you believe you are getting a raw deal.

I'm not a veteran, so I haven't been following the situation exactly, but it was my understanding that the tuition would not change over until 2017. I'd find email, but I'm busy myself!

It almost never is 'the school's choice' when you're dealing with public universities. We can't even finish the renovations on our now defunct classrooms without legal approaching the state government and basically fighting for the right to do it. How ridiculous can this stuff get?