Faculty positions: wait for openings or can you just send out interest emails?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the humanities I know you have to wait for a university to advertise an opening. Is this the same case for academic medicine positions? Or is there more flexibility?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the site, but I do know that at least 1 place you get the job approval first from the chair/whomever, and then they post it.
I would just contact the chair or whomever and see what availability is.

In the humanities I know you have to wait for a university to advertise an opening. Is this the same case for academic medicine positions? Or is there more flexibility?
Only a resident, but have PhD with biomedical and post-doctoral experience. The best jobs aren't advertised and it would likely depend on your niche. The program where I completed a post-doc at brought in people with certain niches without advertising. Furthermore the advertisements they post on their HR page is simply for logistics, the jobs are already filled once the spot is posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a faculty member. Do not wait for a position to be advertised. Your best best is to have a contact inside the program who can help recommend you to the chair, chief, or medical director. Find out who the main administrator is (usually on the department's website) and send a letter of interest and CV to the places you're interested in. If you don't hear anything, follow up with a phone call or email 6-8 weeks later.

Reactions: 2 users
Sending an uninvited letter of interest and a CV to the department chair is totally kosher. It's how I got my present job (and how I got several other interviews).

Reactions: 1 user