FAER Summer Program: Is it still offered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repititionition

Sure!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I do see that the current "instructions" PDF references the 2015 application cycle, I do not find info for 2012-2014 alumni from their database, making me wonder if the program has been funded in recent years.

I'm a student at a mid-ranked midwestern University and would love to be involved in FAER this summer (and beyond!).

Side question: at what point is it kosher to reach out to the Anesthesia department and express our interest in summer research? I'm currently managing school work quite well, so have contemplated trying to get in to a research role early in the year.

It's incredible these basic transactional/cultural things that medical school doesn't teach you...

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

http://faer.org/programs/msarf-summer-program/

The summer program for medical students is alive and well -- in recent years they've been funding about 50 students / year. I did it last summer and it was a great experience, particularly the chance to present at the annual ASA conference. And they pay you monies. The year-long program was just added more recently as an option.

I believe the alumni database only lists grants that were given to residents / attendings, and does not include the MSARF program.

Reactions: 1 user
I also had a great experience with this about 2 years ago. It definitely played a huge role in my interest in the specialty. Didn't seem too difficult to get at the time- if I recall, the application was fairly basic. Highly recommend applying. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did the program two years ago. It's a great experience to do the research project and present at the ASA national meeting, and depending on where you go, you can get plenty of clinical experience too.

The application was pretty simple, but I'm not sure about the competitiveness given that there were rejections our year. Probably not too bad, but not a given to apply and get it. Definitely worth the application.